Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Game Recap (8/14): Twins Can’t Sweep, Polanco Commits Costly Error

kyle gibson jorge polanco sergio romo miguel sano eddie rosario
  • Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,317 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:14 PM

Maybe Polanco is showing us that he really belongs at 2nd base and not at shortstop.

It’s where I wanted him this year.
  • AceWrigley likes this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#22 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• 11,453 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:33 PM

They just can’t out hit their pitching any longer, particularly with below average defence.

It’s not complicated, but it’s confusing that they envisioned this working this long.

#23 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,451 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:38 PM

I don’t think Arraez has the arm to play anywhere regularly other than 2B. If defense is a priority they need Polanco to step up at SS or trade one of them. A good and athletic 1B would help but I am not sure Rooker or Sano fit that description. They might just have to counter some extra errors with good bats up the middle.

#24 Monticore

Monticore

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 90 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:09 PM

If they could only have a shortstop as adept in the field as Gagne. These errors are just demoralizing. The first error where he just dropped the throw was almost inconceivable.

#25 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 630 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:15 PM

Yesterday was Wednesday, August 14.It was the 120th game of the year putting the Twins 74% of the way through the season.The Twins hit 3 home runs upping their record-breaking season total to 233 home runs.They are now only 34 home runs behind the single-season MLB record.

• glunn, Danchat, mickeymental and 1 other like this

#26 ND-Fan

ND-Fan

• 220 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:50 PM

I hate to say it but Rocco managing I think needs to be evaluated because I am seeing some disturbing things as the season wears along here. First is the Twins defense has been slipping now for several months and the errors are going up. These errors have cost the twins several games in last couple of months. I thought the use of the bull pen has been also not been consistent and I got to feel players don't quite know there roll in the bull pen. I Thought Molitor needed improvement on his bull pen management but Rocco is not improvement. This could also because of upper management too so I am not fully ready to throw Rocco under the bus but its moving that way. Also on bull pen management I got to believe now we have to stretch starters little farther than 5 to help save on the bull pen and reduce some innings that has been turned over to the bull pen. The next area of batting order of some players I don't understand the construction of the lineup it seem were wastingor not getting the bang out of some our hitters with current batting orders. Example now would be why aren't we batting Arraez lead off hitter he doesn't strike out and gets on base high percentage and would give 3, 4, and 5 hitters somebody to hit in. This would give you Polanco ideal position to hit second and then have Kepler hit 3 the team leader in home runs somebody to hit in. How many of his home runs were one run nobody on in front of him. Still let Cruz hit 4th and Rosario 5th and Sano 6th or seventh. Also with this line up you would have right left alteration most of the time making more difficult for pitching match ups. Also his substitutions I feel have weaken us defensively several times that may have hurt us on pitching side. I know not expert but I do feel Rocco has been little weak lately on his in game positions. Am I only one seeing this I can't believe so .

#27 OldTimeTwinkie

OldTimeTwinkie

• 182 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:59 PM

The old adage you better be strong up the middle. Arize at second, adrianza at Short.
  • nokomismod likes this

#28 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• 11,453 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:02 PM

The old adage you better be strong up the middle. Arize at second, adrianza at Short.

You take Polanco’s bat out of the lineup?

#29 rghrbek

rghrbek

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 676 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:41 PM

This is a team clearly based on home runs.  They pretty much live and die by them.  Feels like doubles are down, and the clutch hitting or at least with RISP has been a problem recently. 

This is not a good fielding team.  Outside of Buck and Kepler in RF, do we have anyone who is considered plus fielder?  Schoop has the arm, but the range?  Plus he squeezes the bat a bit tight in clutch situations.

I would suggest our pitching has to get into the 6th and occasionally into the 7th.  That to me is the real culprit of our current woes. We had one clean inning is these two games against the brewers...think about that.  Bullpen is over used and our Manager is a bit confused.

this is the team we have and bringing up some of the AAA position players in mid august is not the answer.  I am not sure what is, besides the royals, tigers, and white sox.  Beating those teams doesn't get you ready for the post season.

Need to have a good showing against an ok Texas team in that band box of a stadium.

#30 curt1965

curt1965

• 786 posts
  • LocationLuverne, Minnesota

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:19 PM

You can’t stretch the starters when you are at 100+ pitches in the 4th inning! All our starters nibble too much. The bullpen is what it is-decent players that are constantly overworked. As far as our defense goes, the team has lived and died with the HR’s this year while the defense has been just ok until the last couple of weeks or so. Posters are on Polanco today because of his errors, but I think he’s been ok for an offense-minded SS. These are the “dog days,” gentlemen, and the players have to push through fatigue, and days like today are going to happen. As Aaron Rogers would say, “R E L A X “ Have some faith in this product, however faulty it’s construction! How many of you thought we’d be in this position in spring training?

#31 howeda7

howeda7

• 1,636 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:59 PM

I know pitching and defense cost us this game, but I really wish they would put Arreaz in the lead-off spot. Kepler has what 1 lead off HR this year? And Polanco is slumping hardcore. 

• 70charger and Aerodeliria like this

#32 mickeymental

mickeymental

• 1,361 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:06 AM

hello mrs. buxton. can byron come out to play?

• jbissell likes this

#33 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• 5,086 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 15 August 2019 - 04:18 AM

There really aren't a lot of surprises here with the exception of the teams HR binge. Some of that is the juiced ball, but they still are hitting more than anyone. And, that juiced ball is likely a contributor to some of the "biggest hit of the year" HR's flying out of parks daily. No ones lead is safe. On defense most of the players are as advertised. Defense is sort of a constant. And the Twins IF has been consistent. You can hide a Polanco with the shifts to the point his bat makes him palatable. But his lack of arm and non dependable glove work still will show up. He has a glove like a third baseman, and an arm like a second baseman (barely). Cron temporarily surprised me at 1B, but that apparently was an illusion. You need more accurate IF arms to be able to mitigate his glove. Finally while I don't agree with the "batting order doesn't matter crowd", I am more concerned with the use of the pen. I do think RP would function better if they had an idea where they stood. As it is right now there is no apparent rhyme or reason to pen usage. Maybe the level of mediocrity makes usage a moot point? But it wouldn't hurt to find out.
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#34 Dome Dogg

Dome Dogg

Elizabethton Twins

• 32 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 05:07 AM

Yesterday was Wednesday, August 14.It was the 120th game of the year putting the Twins 74% of the way through the season.The Twins hit 3 home runs upping their record-breaking season total to 233 home runs.They are now only 34 home runs behind the single-season MLB record.

Yes! That "Home run record" flag will look nice next to the World Series ones from 30 years ago at Target Field! 

"Kid, don't you think there's a problem when you get that excited over a seeing-eye single?"

#35 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 2,883 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 15 August 2019 - 05:31 AM

If they could only have a shortstop as adept in the field as Gagne. These errors are just demoralizing. The first error where he just dropped the throw was almost inconceivable.

Yeah but he's also hitting .295 and if you recall he got the big 2RBI hit with 2-out and the bases loaded in that very same game. And he made a big defensive play on Tuesday. And in the Braves series he made a fantastic leaping catch.

I realize it's Polanco's turn to be the fall guy, and everyone's going to take turns bashing him and discussing his weak points because we're angry about the loss. But let's not tar, feather, and run him out of town just yet, please.

• twinsnorth49, 70charger, curt1965 and 1 other like this

#36 laloesch

laloesch

• 1,819 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:16 AM

They're just not a very good team, they're good at hitting-but that's where it stops. Poor starting pitching, poor relief pitching, poor defense. The last 2 months they are a .500 team, that's more than just a poor stretch. The only reason they're even a .500 team is because of that offense. It's been fun to watch outside of the many horrible endings lately, better than I was expecting going into the year, but I don't see them having much shot if they make the post-season unless they get miraculously hot in October. Could happen, just like the Vikings could win the Superbowl this year-so I'll watch-just not likely. 

Gotta agree with this post.This team can hit no doubt put the pitching is just piss poor and continues to be.

• bighat likes this

#37 TimTheVIking

TimTheVIking

Elizabethton Twins

• 3 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:26 AM

attachicon.gifimages (1).jpeg

Can we make a vote to abolish the last 3 innings of a baseball game?

Everybody pray for rain after the 6th is finished.

#38 IAMNFan

IAMNFan

Elizabethton Twins

• 25 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:37 AM

I'm starting to question the pitching philosophy from top to bottom.1.I do believe this year started as an audition for Odo, Gibby, hell all of them, to see where they were at, keep or dump.I'll keep Berrios, Pineda & maybe Perez for a swingman.2.As the bullpen is constructed now, I'll take it.But you can't have starters go 4-6 innings every game.The horrible Utube broadcast even brought that up.Baseball has to get back to starters going deeper.Football has a concussion problem that is limiting participation, Baseball has an arm falling off problem that will drag it down.3.Twins pitchers have become very predictable.Nibble, nibble, uncompetitive chase pitch & repeat.Part of this is that they don't have anyone with wipe out stuff, but really there are maybe 10 pitchers in MLB that have clearly wipe out stuff.With analytics, why are they not using better pitch sequencing?If Wes wants to keep his job, I'd suggest that he start calling pitches.I'm not sure there is a pitcher on this staff that should have the clout to shake off the catcher 4 times while the infielders just stand there and watch the same crappy nibbles over and over.4.Do you suppose the fielding would be better with more competitive starts?

Not sure it will happen next year, but I'm ready for Kiriloff at 1st, Polonco at 2nd, Lewis at SS.Arraez may have to play third.Rosario gets traded for pitching and Buxton starts playing in pads.

#39 twins1095

twins1095

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 236 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:45 AM

Arraez is a below average second-baseman defensively.

#40 mike8791

mike8791

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 59 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:54 AM

At the game yesterday.Lots of Twin fans!A few observations:

1. Though not helped by Polanco's first error, Gibson was excruciating to watch.His repertoire consists of sinkers in the dirt and 93mph fastballs, with surprisingly poor control.Had no strikeout pitch.Just have no confidence in this guy shutting down a good hitting team.Rocco was right in removing him after five.

2. Baldelli's bullpen usage is erratic.If your starter can only go five, you must have confidence in at least one middle reliever to go 2 innings.Bringing Dyson in the sixth was just a waste.We are 120 games into the season and there is no pattern to the mgr's bullpen usage.Of course, he was dealt a poor hand by the FO to begin with, but Dyson/Romo are experienced relievers who should be saved for late innings.Mgr. has to learn who can ( and can't) pitch on consecutive days!Good relievers will blow games now and then(Pressly gave up GS homer yesterday to WS!), but good bullpen managment involves setting roles and sticking to it.After 3/4 of the season, there is still no clear pattern.I blame the FO and Mgr. for that.

3. Polanco's errors are piling up.He is just too erratic - good plays followed by awful ones.Can't see him as SS on a playoff team, nor does the roster give hope for someone else taking over.As many have pointed out, infield defense has cost this team games and remains a sore spot.Amazing that our high draft picks like Lewis and Gordon do not seem to be considered by mgt. to be major league SS's.

One person's opinion, but right now this is not a playoff team.They would have to back into a spot if someone else falters.Rotation is a mess as is bullpen.Home run or bust offense not enough to carry them into October, with these other weaknesses.Hope I'm wrong, but......

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kyle gibson, jorge polanco, sergio romo, miguel sano, eddie rosario