Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Ryan Eades Claimed by O's

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,579 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:42 PM

The Orioles just announced that Ryan Eades has been claimed by the Baltimore Orioles.No surprise he would be claimed by the first team that could.. 

Twins roster at 39.

#2 JW24

JW24

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:51 PM

Good luck to him. I hope he does well in Baltimore.

• pbrezeasap, mikelink45 and howieramone2 like this

#3 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,541 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:58 PM

I was kind of intrigued with him in spring training. Then it was pretty much radio silence after his MLB debut... Good luck to him.

#4 markos

markos

• Members
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:02 PM

I was kind of intrigued with him in spring training. Then it was pretty much radio silence after his MLB debut... Good luck to him.

Given how much they've cycled guys through the bullpen, I'm kind of surprised he didn't get a longer look.

• pbrezeasap and Danchat like this

#5 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:13 PM

Clearing room to add Graterol?

• pbrezeasap, 70charger and Danchat like this

#6 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• Twins Mods
  • 8,881 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:14 PM

This opens a spot. Ian Miller (speedy OF) or O’Rourke (LOOGy) added to the 25-man in September. I think both will see action in September.

#7 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 3,309 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:36 PM

One of a couple of names that are expendable. Other being, perhaps, LaMonte Wade...unless the Twins manage to put Gonsalves on the 60-day.

Waiting to hear if Buxton is still available to play this season. Tragic if he isn't.

I'm still trying to figure out how all of: Gonsalves, Romero, Stewart, Poppen, Stashak, Smeltzer, Dobnak, Thorpe, Littell all fit into the future of the team. That is one heck of a lot of rookie arms protected on the 40-man. And who is this Marcus Diplan? That's 10 PITCHERS! 1/4 of the roster with rookie level experience!

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#8 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:51 PM

One of a couple of names that are expendable. Other being, perhaps, LaMonte Wade...unless the Twins manage to put Gonsalves on the 60-day.

Waiting to hear if Buxton is still available to play this season. Tragic if he isn't.

I'm still trying to figure out how all of: Gonsalves, Romero, Stewart, Poppen, Stashak, Smeltzer, Dobnak, Thorpe, Littell all fit into the future of the team. That is one heck of a lot of rookie arms protected on the 40-man. And who is this Marcus Diplan? That's 10 PITCHERS! 1/4 of the roster with rookie level experience!

They won’t be able to have them all on the 40 man unless at least half are on the 26 man. (No, not a typo). You can’t roster a bunch of pitchers that can’t help at the MLB level. I think the only pitcher on the 40 man that hasn’t been active at the MLB level is Gonsalves, and that’s because he is hurt. And Diplan who just came over.

The days of being able to stash a prospect on the 40 man and keep him in the minors all year are long gone. The guys on the 40 man have to be able to contribute.
  • Nine of twelve likes this

#9 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 4,988 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:27 PM

They won’t be able to have them all on the 40 man unless at least half are on the 26 man. (No, not a typo). You can’t roster a bunch of pitchers that can’t help at the MLB level. I think the only pitcher on the 40 man that hasn’t been active at the MLB level is Gonsalves, and that’s because he is hurt. And Diplan who just came over.

The days of being able to stash a prospect on the 40 man and keep him in the minors all year are long gone. The guys on the 40 man have to be able to contribute.

Isn’t the September limit 28 players? Or is that in 2020?

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#10 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 3,309 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:34 PM

Yeah...you add all these guys, but to remove them you lose them to anotehr organization. And some didn't have to be protected this year. That's either a lot of talent...or something.

And, yes, anyone remember the 28-man rule for September...to keep teams from calling up any or all of their 40-man guys? And perhaps fielding an all-AAA lineup, I guess?

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#11 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,579 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:53 PM

Given how much they've cycled guys through the bullpen, I'm kind of surprised he didn't get a longer look.

He missed a few weeks on the IL too... That's part of it. 

#12 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:57 PM

Yahoo fantasy BB news tells me he's set to face live pitching within the next week.

#13 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• Twins Mods
  • 8,881 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 14 August 2019 - 04:10 PM

I believe the 28-man rule is next year. Wikipedia agrees with me.

https://en.wikipedia...aseball_rosters

• Danchat and Nine of twelve like this

#14 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 04:49 PM

Isn’t the September limit 28 players? Or is that in 2020?

Yes, the limit will be 28 next year. What I mean is that through the course of the season the Twins (like every other team) will need to use almost everyone on their 40 man roster.