Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Second place

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Minnesota Twins

• 2,638 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:48 AM

Today is Tuesday, August 13. The Twins have fallen into second place in the central for the first time since, I believe, April 19, nearly four months ago, when the Twins were 9-7 and Cleveland was 11-7. Let’s hope this is a short-lived stay in second place, and after tonight, the team re-emerges in their rightful spot atop the central division.
  • ashbury, Jerr, Mike Frasier Law and 7 others like this

#2 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,041 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:01 AM

Ugh, I saw the Cleveland score this morning and was thinking the same thing. Here's hoping this sparks some much-needed fire in the Twins clubhouse. Fingers crossed regarding tonight's game in Milwaukee.

• wabene likes this

#3 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,861 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:04 AM

I don't think it's lack of fire that's the issue..... Lack of pitching? Not hitting at a historic rate? Bad baserunnung? Those seem like more likely issues.
  • SQUIRREL, Dantes929, adjacent and 14 others like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#4 laloesch

laloesch

• 1,851 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:09 AM

I don't think it's lack of fire that's the issue..... Lack of pitching? Not hitting at a historic rate? Bad baserunnung? Those seem like more likely issues.

It's the pitching. Its still the Achilles heel of this team.

Edited by laloesch, 13 August 2019 - 08:09 AM.

• gunnarthor, notoriousgod71, Sconnie and 5 others like this

#5 scottz

scottz

• 699 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:15 AM

It's the pitching. Its still the Achilles heel of this team.

Pitching and baserunning - or perhaps, base run coaching.

Also, this is probably not the thread to re-hash that send of Adrianza in the 9th, but when your primary team strength is hitting, and your primary team weakness is bullpen, maximizing the chances for the former and minimizing the chances for the latter seems like the way to go. That would mean to not send the runner there unless you are at least very confident he'll be safe.

Also, it's the pitching.

• big dog, Sconnie, cjj td and 2 others like this

#6 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,041 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:19 AM

Pitching and baserunning - or perhaps, base run coaching.

Also, this is probably not the thread to re-hash that send of Adrianza in the 9th, but when your primary team strength is hitting, and your primary team weakness is bullpen, maximizing the chances for the former and minimizing the chances for the latter seems like the way to go. That would mean to not send the runner there unless you are at least very confident he'll be safe.

Also, it's the pitching.

Not allowing a no-out grand slam in the 10th inning would have also helped.

I'm kinda done with the whole Diaz thing, horse was dead by Sunday night. It's Tuesday morning already! Let's win today!

• Mike Frasier Law and In My La-Z-boy like this

#7 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Ft Myers Miracle

• 438 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:53 AM

It is pitching, and has been pitching...going all the way back to November.

• Madisonsdad, adorduan, Platoon and 1 other like this

#8 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• 2,948 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:00 AM

Only 2 games up in the wild card.

• Dman likes this

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#9 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

bomba stick

• 8,567 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:06 AM

There are worse places to be.
  • Don Walcott and wabene like this

#10 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,041 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:07 AM

Only 2 games up in the wild card.

Well, 2 games up for the #1 WC spot. I think we're 4 games ahead right now as far as making the playoffs, in general.

Milwaukee is just a half-game out of their own WC spot as well. A lot to play for tonight....

• Jerr, Sconnie and wabene like this

#11 Jham

Jham

• 2,216 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:30 AM

The front office was actually really honest initially when they stated their single goal was to create a sustainable competitive baseball team. Not a champion. Fans come out for pennant races whether you're 3 down or 13 up. Reminds me of the "get to know em, gotta see em" days of trying to win "the twins way". Basically it's better to be cheap and competitive than the Yankees. They called themselves small market enough times that we all believed it. The goal is to win the amount of games necessary to generate fan interest. The end result of the season doesn't really matter much.
  • Battle ur tail off likes this

#12 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,984 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:39 AM

For those that say it's not a "collapse". It's potentially a historic collapse.
  • USAFChief, Mike Sixel, h2oface and 8 others like this

#13 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,861 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:49 AM

It is pitching, and has been pitching...going all the way back to November.

Going all the way back to the first Terry Ryan years..... Certainly since this front office got here.

Going into next year they have Berrios and?

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#14 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,470 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:00 AM

For those that say it's not a "collapse". It's potentially a historic collapse.

I will not look at anything as a collapse until they at least have a losing month or at least a losing stretch.5/6 right now is by far their worst stretch of the season.Our friends the Indians have won 38 of their last 52 games.That's a pace to win 118 games.It's taken nearly a third of the season of a team playing on par with historic pace just to over take the Twins by a 1/2 game.If the Twins finish with their current winning % and have 98 wins and don't win the division is it really a collapse?

• Dantes929, markos, big dog and 7 others like this

#15 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,984 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:04 AM

I will not look at anything as a collapse until they at least have a losing month or at least a losing stretch. 5/6 right now is by far their worst stretch of the season. Our friends the Indians have won 38 of their last 52 games. That's a pace to win 118 games. It's taken nearly a third of the season of a team playing on par with historic pace just to over take the Twins by a 1/2 game. If the Twins finish with their current winning % and have 98 wins and don't win the division is it really a collapse?

Yes, IMO it's a collapse. And it's backed up by data. Hasn't been done since 1951. Don't know what else to tell ya.
  • laloesch and Tomj14 like this

#16 wabene

wabene

Wahoo

• 1,060 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:06 AM

I will not look at anything as a collapse until they at least have a losing month or at least a losing stretch.5/6 right now is by far their worst stretch of the season.Our friends the Indians have won 38 of their last 52 games.That's a pace to win 118 games.It's taken nearly a third of the season of a team playing on par with historic pace just to over take the Twins by a 1/2 game.If the Twins finish with their current winning % and have 98 wins and don't win the division is it really a collapse?

Hard to argue with this.
  • gocgo and lurker like this

#17 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,359 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:10 AM

They haven't lost the ALC yet, but... if they do, losing an 11.5 game lead is historic no matter whether you call it a "collapse" or not.

And for the record...it'd be a collapse. 

• diehardtwinsfan, Madisonsdad, spanman2 and 2 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#18 markos

markos

• 1,410 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:18 AM

They haven't lost the ALC yet, but... if they do, losing an 11.5 game lead is historic no matter whether you call it a "collapse" or not.

And for the record...it'd be a collapse. 

Do you think the 2006 season was an epic collapse by the Tigers? Or a amazing comeback by the Twins? The Tigers were ahead of the Twins by 12.5 games on May 27, but lost the division by 1 game despite winning 95 games overall. (They don't qualify for Stark's factoid because the White Sox spent most of the season <10 games behind the Tigers)

• Dantes929, Oldgoat_MN, SwainZag and 5 others like this

#19 markos

markos

• 1,410 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:23 AM

Also, if the Twins lose the division to the Indians, it would be 4th time in the last 8 years that a team failed to maintain an at least 9.5 game lead in the standings. Hard to describe something that happens basically every other season as "epic".

• Dantes929 and SwainZag like this

#20 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,359 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:33 AM

Do you think the 2006 season was an epic collapse by the Tigers? Or a amazing comeback by the Twins? The Tigers were ahead of the Twins by 12.5 games on May 27, but lost the division by 1 game despite winning 95 games overall. (They don't qualify for Stark's factoid because the White Sox spent most of the season <10 games behind the Tigers)

Detroit went 13-16 in August, 12-16 in September/October. They lost their last four regular season games to cough up a division lead.

So yeah, collapse. Whether you end up with 95 games or 85, matters not. A collapse is a collapse.

Not to mention, their division lead was 3.5 on May 27th. Just not over the Twins.

If the Twins end up not winning the ALC, there's really no other way to describe it, IMO. An 11.5 game lead. 

• Madisonsdad and Tomj14 like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.