Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Constructing the Best Bullpen Mix to Finish 2019

taylor rogers sergio romo sam dyson trevor may brusdar graterol
  • Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Jham

Jham

• Members
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:22 AM

Who comes in to face Yelich in a big spot? Smeltzer, Perez and Rogers are our only lefties and 2 are starting.

#22 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:23 AM

Bullpen/Starting staff steps I would make, starting this morning:

Perez to IL or bullpen, Thorpe up to start either today or tomorrow with Gibson today 

Dyson activated, Dobnak/Smeltzer down

Pineda activated, Cave down - Thursday (3 man bench until Cruz back)

Rotation - Berrios, Pineda, Odorizzi, Gibson, Thorpe/Smeltzer/Dobank

Bullpen - Rogers, Dyson, Romo, May, Harper, Duffy, Littel, Smeltzer/Dobank (worst guy goes down when Cruz is back)

Edited by LA VIkes Fan, 13 August 2019 - 09:24 AM.

#23 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:46 AM

Must say I really liked Dobnak the other night.Seems like a bulldog who could have a future.Will agree probably won't be this year.

Glad a few mentioned Hildenberger.Assuming he is now healthy and he can make a couple minor adjustments over the next ten days, he is the best candidate to step up and make a difference.Everyone else is trying to find the best #7 or #8 guy in the pen.HIldenberger could be someone who slides in with the big three in a set-up role.

Still would like to see another lefty out there.Don't know who that will be, but there are some options, albeit not great ones.By that I do not mean that I don't like Smeltzer or Thorpe, just that they haven't been relievers and it may be difficult to get the most out of them switching to the pen. 

#24 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,542 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:59 AM

Hildenberger has had 3 months with an ERA under 3.5 in his MLB career so far. Hasn't stopped the narrative that he's a set up man... I don't get it.
  • USAFChief, Mike Sixel and SF Twins Fan like this

#25 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:17 AM

I agree with Vanimal. Hildenberger hasn't really shown that he can consistently get outs at the MLB level. Look, Hledenberger as an effective reliever may be no more of a long shot than Thorpe, Dobnak or Smeltzer as an effective starter or Gaterol as a reliever but it's still a long shot IMHO. 

• USAFChief and mikelink45 like this

#26 Crackedfungo

Crackedfungo

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 11:17 AM

I agree with Vanimal. Hildenberger hasn't really shown that he can consistently get outs at the MLB level. Look, Hledenberger as an effective reliever may be no more of a long shot than Thorpe, Dobnak or Smeltzer as an effective starter or Gaterol as a reliever but it's still a long shot IMHO. 

Hildenberger's opportunity has passed.Unless he were to string together a number of weeks in the minors with no runs and low hits, I would not even consider him now or in the future.It is time for Graterol to be added as a reliever, and for Smeltzer and Thorpe to take over Perez's spot.I would not bother with O'Rourke, either, unless there is a string of weeks of innings with no runs.I don't care if he is a lefty either; bring in the loser of Thorpe/Smeltzer instead.I am over the retreads....We need to win and to build experience

Edited by Crackedfungo, 13 August 2019 - 11:18 AM.

• mikelink45 likes this

#27 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,840 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 13 August 2019 - 01:21 PM

I don't know about that -- I kind of like multi-inning outings from a reliever when possible, as opposed to a series of relievers on shorter stints where one of them could be throwing poorly that day.

I'd say we could still use Rogers for multiple innings, but to do so judiciously -- probably no more doing that with 3 run leads, certainly no more using him the next day, etc.

It seems like the problem isn't the multi-inning appearances for Rogers. The problem is pitching him the next day. Given his track record, the Sunday's game has to be the last time he pitches again the day after a multi-inning appearance. IMO, he shouldn't have been pitching on Sunday, either.

• stringer bell, 70charger and spycake like this

#28 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,050 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 01:31 PM

I'd say it is pretty clear that Rogers needs a day off between appearances. There are three guys in the minors that should, imo, be given a shot this month.....Alcala, Gaterol, and Duran. Hildenberger is the Trevor May of sidearmers, you think he should be better than he is.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#29 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:12 PM

I wouldn’t resort to promoting Graterol and Duran just yet, although I’d definitely like to see more of Colina, Romero, and Alcala.

#30 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• Twins Mods
  • 8,881 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:55 PM

I think that if Dyson is recovered the Twins have the bare minimum of late-inning leverage guys--Romo, Dyson and Rogers. Having both Romo and Dyson available when Rogers is unavailable is just enough IMHO. They need left handed help for Rogers, maybe Thorpe or Smeltzer or Pérez or perhaps Ryan O'Rourke (pure LOOGy). Spotting Harper, May and Duffey again isn't optimum, but could be enough.

#31 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:47 AM

I think the Twins are going to have to get lucky with Hildenberger and o Rourke. Am fine giving Graterol a shot too. These are all long shots but this what the FO has left us with

#32 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 6,106 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:15 AM

If O’Rourke is given a chance (and I think he will be) he’ll be fine. I mean he’s strictly a loogy, but that doesn’t mean he can’t help. He’s had a pretty short MLB career, but he’s held LHB to a .501 OPS.
  • stringer bell likes this

#33 stringer bell

stringer bell

• Twins Mods
  • 8,881 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 15 August 2019 - 02:28 PM

In the past two weeks, we've seen Rogers get hit for a four-spot vs. the Indians, Dyson get knocked around twice and Romo dinged for a three-run homer and a long solo homer. While it is unfortunate that it occurred, it is equally to be expected. All three are good major league pitchers, but they aren't unhittable. May was impressive in his inning yesterday. 

What the Twins need more than anything for their bullpen is for the starters to go six or more innings. Until yesterday, Texas was struggling, but they scored seven runs yesterday. 

#34 Jaykay

Jaykay

Puerto Rico Joe

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 15 August 2019 - 05:03 PM

If you're not feeling great about our bullpen acquisitions, check out what Atlanta, who supposedly did the most to improve their bullpen, is getting out of Greene, Melancon, and Martin.

WOOF 

#35 stringer bell

stringer bell

• Twins Mods
  • 8,881 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 15 August 2019 - 05:45 PM

The other team that got multiple relievers is Washington. We see them later this year.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: taylor rogers, sergio romo, sam dyson, trevor may, brusdar graterol