Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

2020 schedule is out

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 16,347 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 03:18 PM

Why does the MLB and all who handle the scheduling continue to insist on putting the Minnesota/Milwaukee series during the middle of the week?

Probably to boost midweek attendance. Weekend games generally do well enough on their own, regardless of opponent.
  • USAFChief and Oldgoat_MN like this

#22 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 16,347 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 03:33 PM

Last weekend of March is usually the final four. That HAS to impact ratings.

First weekend of April, usually. That's why the Twins requested to open at home in March this year.

And that's only Saturday night and Monday night. Might affect a few Saturday games, but I suspect most will be day games. MLB season game 2 attendance/viewership probably sees a substantial drop from the opener anyway.

#23 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 04:25 PM

Same... Can't find a loss on the schedule.

Especially if they bring back the current pitching staff.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#24 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 05:46 PM

Does anyone else think that the heavily unbalanced schedule needs to end? I've thought this for years, and especially since 2013 when the current all-year-interleague locked things into place as they are now. Namely, that you have 6 series against your 4 divisional foes, 2 series against all other league members, and 20 interleague games. 

I like the idea of playing more games in-division than any other, but not to the extreme that is currently in place. I'd play 13 games versus each division foe (52 games) 9 games versus other league members (90 games), and 20 interleague games. You'd have some uneven home/road splits in the non-divisional games, but it's more sensible, and you still have an imbalance of games versus divisional rivals. So not only will the schedule determine legit division champions, it would do a better job at determining wild cards as it does now. Plus you'd be able to see non-divisional foes more often; I think lots of fans would prefer a second Yankee series rather than a third Tigers or Royals series (even though the Yankee series probably wouldn't go so well for the Twins!). 

Just throwing it out there.

I'd love to go back to the '90s balanced schedule without interleague play, other than finding a way for the rivalry games.

I'd also love to see a 154 game schedule. Along with expanded rosters, it would allow for the same amount of time off (perhaps more, with a 26-27 roster) and postseason wouldn't be so cold. I worry that if the Twins do make it, the Latin American players won't be able to hit through their snowsuits.

#25 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 05:48 PM

Agree. Several reasons why it would make sense to go back to 154 games. And one big reason why it won't happen for the foreseeable future.

If they added 2 more teams they could justify fewer games, I bet.

But I'm not in support of expansion. I think the pitching quality is already bad enough (besides some economic factors). But it might appeals tv contracts, ticket holders, and the players' union.

#26 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 14,193 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 13 August 2019 - 11:07 AM

No team wants to open with 2-3-4 weeks on the road, not for one single year, much less every year.

And by the time you're opening with 1-2 weeks on the road, it really doesn't make a difference. Your chance of cold and snow in Minneapolis isn't meaningfully different between March 28th or April 5th or even April 12th. We've had snow-outs around April 15-16 before too.

Actually, players are more fresh in the spring... I'd have no problems with my team doing a bunch of road games to start... 

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I see that as an advantage to the Twins if their time in MN is somewhat limited in March/April. It comes back to benefit later in the year. Obviously they will still play home games during that time, but minimizing that to an extent is probably better than seeing games played in freezing weather or postponing games due to snow. 

#27 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 16,347 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:21 PM

Actually, players are more fresh in the spring... I'd have no problems with my team doing a bunch of road games to start... 

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I see that as an advantage to the Twins if their time in MN is somewhat limited in March/April. It comes back to benefit later in the year. Obviously they will still play home games during that time, but minimizing that to an extent is probably better than seeing games played in freezing weather or postponing games due to snow. 

Oh, it could be an advantage to the Twins and other cold weather teams. But that would be another reason why other teams wouldn't want to do it. Warm weather teams don't want an outsized share of April home dates every year, because they don't draw as well as summer dates.

But home field advantage is a real thing, and there's a competitive disadvantage to opening a series or a season with too many road games.

(And on the flip side, warm weather teams would probably be concerned about massive road trips in September too, when they are worn down and trying to compete for postseason spots.)

#28 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 7,642 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 03:54 PM

Oh, it could be an advantage to the Twins and other cold weather teams. But that would be another reason why other teams wouldn't want to do it. Warm weather teams don't want an outsized share of April home dates every year, because they don't draw as well as summer dates.

But home field advantage is a real thing, and there's a competitive disadvantage to opening a series or a season with too many road games.

(And on the flip side, warm weather teams would probably be concerned about massive road trips in September too, when they are worn down and trying to compete for postseason spots.)

Competitively, each team plays 81 at home and 81 on the road.
There is no competitive advantage to playing more home early or late.

Your other point is the main reason. Warmer weather owners aren't going to give away summer games for games when school is still in session.

#29 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 21,854 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 13 August 2019 - 04:03 PM

The Tigers are on the schedule again.

Every year it seems.

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#30 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 16,347 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 05:40 PM

Competitively, each team plays 81 at home and 81 on the road.
There is no competitive advantage to playing more home early or late.

But in the playoffs, teams with home field advantage get home games first for a reason.

If you are talking about spending the entire first month of a six month season completely at home or on the road, like some in this thread have suggested, I think it could have a competitive impact on the season. As an example, a team with more home games early can "bank" more wins and put themselves in a better position at the trade deadline.

But yeah, there are many reasons why this will never happen, so I won't quibble with how one wants to rank them.