Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

2020 schedule is out

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 6,106 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 12:41 PM

https://www.mlb.com/...le/2020-03/list

Sort of. Days and teams. Most of the starting times TBD. Not sure if that’s a new time zone they are experimenting with or what. 😎

Anyhoo, it is apparent that MLB didn’t learn it’s lesson. Next year, the Twins aren’t playing a series in March. They are playing TWO. Oakland will be warmer than Minnesota, but northern California weather is very different than southern. Seattle could be downright frigid. Average highs are mid 50s, lows in the low 40s.

#2 rkevin

rkevin

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • LocationTwin Cities

Posted 12 August 2019 - 12:51 PM

I have stated to a good and knowledgeable baseball friend of mine, the idea MLB set the beginning games of the season in most of the warm weather parks and dome teams (only a few left, I know). Compensation of the schedule could be made for games mid- and late-season to even things out. I think the players would like it, fans too...and fewer cold\rainy games at the start would be better for the club's pocket books. Just a thought.

Edit: The "beginning games of the season" I meant the first 2-3 weeks, maybe 4 weeks.

Edited by rkevin, 12 August 2019 - 12:53 PM.

#3 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 16,347 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 12:52 PM

Seattle has a roof.

I'm not sure what lesson you want MLB to learn. There's no way to make this schedule if they can't open in any climate as "cold" as Oakland. They can't open in the same handful of cities every single year. And no one really wants the postseason to stretch into November anymore, which is why they're doing March starts.

• luckylager, Mike Sixel and MMMordabito like this

#4 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 16,347 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:01 PM

I have stated to a good and knowledgeable baseball friend of mine, the idea MLB set the beginning games of the season in most of the warm weather parks and dome teams (only a few left, I know). Compensation of the schedule could be made for games mid- and late-season to even things out. I think the players would like it, fans too...and fewer cold\rainy games at the start would be better for the club's pocket books. Just a thought.

Edit: The "beginning games of the season" I meant the first 2-3 weeks, maybe 4 weeks.

No team wants to open with 2-3-4 weeks on the road, not for one single year, much less every year.

And by the time you're opening with 1-2 weeks on the road, it really doesn't make a difference. Your chance of cold and snow in Minneapolis isn't meaningfully different between March 28th or April 5th or even April 12th. We've had snow-outs around April 15-16 before too.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#5 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 6,106 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:04 PM

I guess I’m not sure what happened to the schedule in a general sense.

From April 1 to September 30 there are 183 days. They can’t get 162 games in with only 21 off days? Okay, 18 with the AS break.

As it is, they are playing 162 games in 189 days. They shouldn’t need that many off days.

It wasn’t that long ago that the season started in April and ended in September. That’s still 3 off days per month in addition to the AS break. With an extra player, that shouldn’t be that difficult. They shouldn’t need a week of games in March ANYWHERE.

#6 Puckett34

Puckett34

• Members
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:07 PM

Looks like 162-0 to me

• denarded, James, nokomismod and 5 others like this

Hit dingers.  Never bunt.

#7 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• Twins Mods
  • 11,313 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:12 PM

Too many games. It will never happen but the schedule needs to be shortened. 

• ashbury likes this

#8 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 16,347 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:15 PM

I guess I’m not sure what happened to the schedule in a general sense.

From April 1 to September 30 there are 183 days. They can’t get 162 games in with only 21 off days? Okay, 18 with the AS break.

As it is, they are playing 162 games in 189 days. They shouldn’t need that many off days.

It wasn’t that long ago that the season started in April and ended in September. That’s still 3 off days per month in addition to the AS break. With an extra player, that shouldn’t be that difficult. They shouldn’t need a week of games in March ANYWHERE.

The players wanted the extra off days -- so they were agreed to, and now mandated by, the collective bargaining agreement in 2016. I guess ownership could have resisted that, but I don't think they care, as long as they get the postseason completed before November.

Frankly, ownership might prefer the current set up -- they don't lose that much at the gate by starting a week earlier, and it gives them a bit more flexibility to postpone early season games if necessary.

#9 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 6,106 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:21 PM

MLB attendance has been steadily declining for over a decade. Coincidentally (or not), MLB has been pushing the start of the schedule earlier.

So, the owners are definitely losing at the gate. Whether or not March games are the reason is uncertain. But I would suspect most people would rather go to the ballpark in July or August than March.

#10 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 16,347 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:24 PM

Too many games. It will never happen but the schedule needs to be shortened. 

That would be interesting.

It would have needed to happen in the 1980s at the latest, though, before the explosion in TV contracts and suite/premium ticket revenue.

• jkcarew likes this

#11 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,542 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:30 PM

Looks like 162-0 to me

Same... Can't find a loss on the schedule.
  • ashbury likes this

#12 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 16,347 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:38 PM

MLB attendance has been steadily declining for over a decade. Coincidentally (or not), MLB has been pushing the start of the schedule earlier.

So, the owners are definitely losing at the gate. Whether or not March games are the reason is uncertain. But I would suspect most people would rather go to the ballpark in July or August than March.

I'd guess the primary tangible reason behind any attendance decline is the reduced frequency of new ballpark openings. Those provide a huge boost. From 1989-2012, MLB opened 24 new parks -- an average of 1 per season. Now, the Braves have the only new park in the last 7 seasons. The "new ballpark" shine has worn off in many places around the league.

And even if any of the decline could possibly be attributed to weather, that would predominantly affect walk-up sales in the regular seating areas -- the least profitable/reliable ones. Season tickets and suites would be largely unaffected.

Edited by spycake, 12 August 2019 - 01:39 PM.

#13 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 6,106 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:45 PM

People that don’t go to games for which they have tickets don’t buy beer and brats either.

#14 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 16,347 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:52 PM

People that don’t go to games for which they have tickets don’t buy beer and brats either.

Sure, and I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

And you already can see how stadiums deal with this. Many Target Field concessions are closed in the early weeks of the season, anticipating lower demand.

But teams have to split a significant chunk of concession revenue with their food vendor company too.

The fact remains that the biggest and most reliable/stable sources of team revenue are largely unaffected by an extra week of games in March: TV revenue, suite revenue, season/premium tickets. As much as we'd prefer to see teams starting later, there just isn't much of a financial incentive for teams to pursue that anymore.

#15 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 6,106 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 02:05 PM

Sure, and I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

And you already can see how stadiums deal with this. Many Target Field concessions are closed in the early weeks of the season, anticipating lower demand.

But teams have to split a significant chunk of concession revenue with their food vendor company too.

The fact remains that the biggest and most reliable/stable sources of team revenue are largely unaffected by an extra week of games in March: TV revenue, suite revenue, season/premium tickets. As much as we'd prefer to see teams starting later, there just isn't much of a financial incentive for teams to pursue that anymore.

Last weekend of March is usually the final four. That HAS to impact ratings.

And, while streaming services have made the “network schedules” nearly obsolete, some people still watch shows when they originally air.

Edited by yarnivek1972, 12 August 2019 - 02:07 PM.

#16 Yawn Gardenhose

Yawn Gardenhose

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 02:31 PM

Does anyone else think that the heavily unbalanced schedule needs to end? I've thought this for years, and especially since 2013 when the current all-year-interleague locked things into place as they are now. Namely, that you have 6 series against your 4 divisional foes, 2 series against all other league members, and 20 interleague games. 

I like the idea of playing more games in-division than any other, but not to the extreme that is currently in place. I'd play 13 games versus each division foe (52 games) 9 games versus other league members (90 games), and 20 interleague games. You'd have some uneven home/road splits in the non-divisional games, but it's more sensible, and you still have an imbalance of games versus divisional rivals. So not only will the schedule determine legit division champions, it would do a better job at determining wild cards as it does now. Plus you'd be able to see non-divisional foes more often; I think lots of fans would prefer a second Yankee series rather than a third Tigers or Royals series (even though the Yankee series probably wouldn't go so well for the Twins!). 

Just throwing it out there.

• Oldgoat_MN and rkevin like this

#17 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 02:31 PM

Talk about a brutal schedule to figure out road trips, etc.

Why does the MLB and all who handle the scheduling continue to insist on putting the Minnesota/Milwaukee series during the middle of the week? Also, @ Dodger Stadium in April and @ San Diego in September? Come on.

Anyone know when we can expect the spring training schedule to be out for 2020?

#18 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 02:41 PM

The Twins could have a similar year next year -- soft early schedule, soft late schedule.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#19 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 02:54 PM

That would be interesting.

It would have needed to happen in the 1980s at the latest, though, before the explosion in TV contracts and suite/premium ticket revenue.

Agree. Several reasons why it would make sense to go back to 154 games. And one big reason why it won't happen for the foreseeable future.

#20 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 02:57 PM

Does anyone else think that the heavily unbalanced schedule needs to end?

I'll feel stronger about this at some future theoretical point where the unbalanced schedule doesn't play to an extreme advantage for the Twins :).

• USAFChief and MMMordabito like this