Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Game Recap (8/11): Frustrating Loss Marred by Heartbreaking Moments

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#81 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:10 AM

You keep saying this. I think the Twins match up much better against the Yankees than the Astros. At least as far as the Twins batters vs the opponents pitching.

I will say what I said on this website before the Twins played the Yankees in their last wild card game: The Twins can only beat the Yankees in the playoffs if it's a low scoring game and the Twins squeak out a run or two at the very end. If there is early scoring and it becomes a bullpen game, forget about it.

If you recall this is exactly what happened, and it's what will happen again.

The Twins fared very well against Houston this year, probably better than they have against any other playoff team. The Twins can beat them.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#82 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• 11,907 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:11 AM

That is fine, in March, but as the results actually unfolded, I was expecting more of a pivot by the FO in July.

I believe I mentioned that. That disappoints me, but not the overall performance of the team. It’s really two different things.

#83 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• 11,907 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:18 AM

I will say what I said on this website before the Twins played the Yankees in their last wild card game: The Twins can only beat the Yankees in the playoffs if it's a low scoring game and the Twins squeak out a run or two at the very end. If there is early scoring and it becomes a bullpen game, forget about it.

The Twins fared very well against Houston this year, probably better than they have against any other playoff team. The Twins can beat them.

Let’s be honest, during the last Yankees-Twins series, neither pitching staff or bullpen did anything to believe either of them can be trusted. Yes I’d rather have the Yankees pitching, but it’s far from invincible. I think it’s the opposite, the only way the Twins can compete with the Yankees in the playoffs is offensively.
  • Nine of twelve likes this

#84 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Pitch(er) Mix: Tequila, Orange Liqueur, Lime Juice

• 13,579 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:20 AM

The disappointing thing to me is not taking advantage of the banked wins from April and May. They were 23 games over .500 on June 2nd. And treading water ever since... This year was a prime opportunity to make a splash in July to take advantage of their hot start... Romo and Dyson are fine additions. I guess it's my fault hoping for more out of this organization.
  • Battle ur tail off likes this

#85 longstrangetrip

longstrangetrip

• 401 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:26 AM

How is another 10 foot lead going to prevent him from being thrown out by 40 feet? He'd have just been out by 30 feet instead.

You need to look at the still shots of the play in this thread.The ball hasn't quite gotten to the catcher's glove, and if Adrianza is 40 feet away, I'm 18 feet tall and have a future in the NBA!

Adrianza was out by about 12 feet, and with a proper lead with the first baseman playing so far off the bag, he gets to the plate just as the ball is arriving...a much tougher play for the catcher to make.  

But while we can quibble about measurements, we can't quibble with the fact that it was poor baserunning and careless first base coaching.There is no excuse for the potential walk-off winning run not getting the best lead he can get. 

#86 Dome Dogg

Dome Dogg

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 118 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:29 AM

Cruz is under team control for 2020, as is Cron.

As I mentioned in my post... 

"Kid, don't you think there's a problem when you get that excited over a seeing-eye single?"

#87 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,705 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:33 AM

As I mentioned in my post...

You said “Cruz and Cron will likely resign”.

It isn’t up to them. Whether or not they are back is entirely up to the Twins. There is zero reason to believe that both won’t be back.
  • Bomba2026 likes this

#88 Bomba2026

Bomba2026

Ft Myers Miracle

• 334 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:36 AM

I would hope for the future when Cruz retires we keep him as a coach. I think we need a new Pitching coach...I think Johann Santana or Joe Nathan should work with our pitchers. What we got now is not working. Cleveland saw a need and went after it. It's not what they got(ok Puig is talented), it is what the got rid of...Bauer. His attitude was @rapola. Hopefully Puig can pick up where he left off...If Clev tries waving and mocking the Yankees, they will get cut back to size. My random daily thoughts.

#89 Dome Dogg

Dome Dogg

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 118 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:44 AM

You said “Cruz and Cron will likely resign”.

It isn’t up to them. Whether or not they are back is entirely up to the Twins. There is zero reason to believe that both won’t be back.

Thank you for the necessary and not at all pedantic response. Changes absolutely nothing about my original post but if it makes you feel better than yes, you are right and I am a dumb idiot. 

At this time last year, you could have said the same thing about Cron with the Rays, there was no reason to believe they would let him walk but here we are. 

Edited by Dome Dogg, 12 August 2019 - 11:45 AM.

"Kid, don't you think there's a problem when you get that excited over a seeing-eye single?"

#90 In My La-Z-boy

In My La-Z-boy

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 188 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:49 AM

Honest question- why does everyone talk about this "window" opening? My comment is not aimed at this particular post/author, a number of people are talking about it. 

Schoop, Cron, Cruz, Perez, Odorizzi, Pineda and Castro could all be gone after this season (Cruz and Cron will likely re-sign, but they aren't young cornerstones).

Polanco started hot, now is trailing off. Berrios is trending in the wrong direction. Buxton can't stay on the field. Sano is a crapshoot from game-to-game. 

Sure, all of Graterol, Alcala, Balazovic, Kiriloff, Larnach etc could all pan out and we could have a great team, but it's not likely. 

This was the year, all the stuff the FO threw at the wall offensively worked better than they could have imagined, and they needed arms. They chose not to do anything at all during the offseason, then whined that the price was too high at the deadline. 

I guess I don't fully understand the narrative that this team has a ton of pieces in place to be some sort of great team for the next decade. 

Completely agree THIS was the year. FO wasn't ready for THIS to be the year. So they behaved like THIS wasn't the year at the deadline. I used the window opening phrase because this is how it is commonly referred when your "wave" arrives, matures, just prior to another wave being ready. We are there. No doubt our 1st "wave" of Kepler/Buxton/Polanco/Garver/Berrios/Rosario/Rogers/Sano all are better and getting better - next "wave" Arraez/Kiriloff/Graterol/Lewis/Rooker/Balazovic will be here between now & 2021 - this is how it is done. 75% of the line up are star system prospects, augmented by expensive vet additions. And you better win it all before you need to sign your youngsters to real contracts. I'd say our deadline to win it all is 2021. Won't be able to afford this line up in 2022. I hope we don't look back at 2019 as being our best chance. We are going to have to slugfest this thing to get anywhere in the playoffs.

• Madisonsdad and Dome Dogg like this

#91 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 656 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 12:33 PM

Yes, I think it might take more than one year to get the pitching in order unless the Twins very uncharacteristically open their wallets.

If the Twins had addressed the bullpen this year, they would only have to address the starting pitching next year. However, the Twins neglected to do that and will now have to address both.

The Twins showed they can win without Sano, so he could be a nice trade chip.

And my point is that to expect an offensive output similar to this year going forward isn't very realistic either. 

Cruz is having a monster year. Yes, he looks great, but will be 40 next year, who knows when the downturn will come. Kepler hitting bombs like it is his job is something I will bet no one thought would happen this season. Cron producing at the level he has is also something I don't think many bet on. Arreaz being an absolute stud from day one. Wait till the book gets out on him. 

My point is, the stars are aligned right now and the FO did jack squat to address it. Next year, this team could go back to average offensive production, then you will need excellent pitching just to be as good as they were this year, which we are finding out might not be enough the way it is. 

I guess I am just frustrated with all the years of the Twins being in this exact same positions and never doing anything to supplement. Now we have a new FO that promised to add if needed, an owner who says money is no object if it will help the team, etc. Turns out, it was the exact same type of process that has went on for years here. Iron is hot and ready, our core is producing, then you add a few B-C level options that don't move the needle. Hoard prospects that may or may not ever produce. Leak information to your beat writers acting as if the prices were unattainable to get real help, then we find out teams like the Mets get a nice starter for guys that wouldn't even be in our top 15 of prospect. Just gets old thats all. 

• Dome Dogg likes this

#92 rkevin

rkevin

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 67 posts
  • LocationTwin Cities

Posted 12 August 2019 - 12:41 PM

I have no doubt, given this current record and tie for first place, that we would all feel different if we were seeing the April/May results right now and not the June/July/August ones.

• SwainZag and Danchat like this

#93 by jiminy

by jiminy

• 225 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:17 PM

The wild card is no sure thing now either. They are just 1.5 ahead of the Rays, and 4.0 ahead of Oakland. Oakland could add Puk, Manaea, and Luzardo, and they have been almost as hot as Cleveland without them. If Cleveland doesn't cool off they might not even make the one-game playoff.

#94 spycake

spycake

• 17,759 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:46 PM

The wild card is no sure thing now either. They are just 1.5 ahead of the Rays, and 4.0 ahead of Oakland. Oakland could add Puk, Manaea, and Luzardo, and they have been almost as hot as Cleveland without them. If Cleveland doesn't cool off they might not even make the one-game playoff.

Actually still 2.5 ahead of the Rays.

But yeah, the Rays and A's are two pretty good teams themselves and could/should put up a fight. Although Fangraphs only pegs the Rays finishing with 93 wins, and the A's with 90. (Twins projected for 97 right now.)

#95 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,705 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 02:25 PM

Rays don’t have a real tough schedule either. 6 combined with New York and Boston at the end of the year, all at home. By then the Red Sox could possibly be eliminated and the Yankees have clinched. 3 against the Dodgers, but they will surely clinched by then. 3 in Texas, who may not be over .500 by then. They have 6 coming up against the Astros and Indians, but that’s really it.

The A’s have a tough one. 6 with the Yankees, 8 with Astros, plus 4 with the Giants who are still kicking plus 6 against the Rangers.

I’m not counting Boston out. They have the 3 games against the Indians on deck. Plus 7 with the Yankees and Twins, all at home. The 4 September games in Tampa loom large...

Edited by yarnivek1972, 12 August 2019 - 02:26 PM.

#96 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 02:38 PM

And my point is that to expect an offensive output similar to this year going forward isn't very realistic either. 

I don't think they will need to maintain this year's offensive output to compete.

• SwainZag likes this

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#97 jz7233

jz7233

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 623 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 04:18 PM

Actually it’s about 65-70% likely that they score a run with runners on second and third with one out. The average run expectancy with that situation is 1.4 runs.

Well Schoop is the batter, he hardly comes through. 50% chance is a good estimate.

#98 jz7233

jz7233

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 623 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 04:52 PM

Early in the year, Houston had a few key players on injured list, Zack Greinke and Yordan Alvarez were not with the team, Houston is a much better team now. I don't think Twins have any chance to win in Houston against their top three starters nowadays.

#99 mrtwinsfan

mrtwinsfan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,788 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 05:37 PM

I wondered why Cave didnt run, leaves ya a better option with hand on the mound,,Adriannza would of been available for schoop oranything -Dont understand the moveEhire is not a fast or good baserunner, sorry!!

• Nine of twelve likes this

#100 mrtwinsfan

mrtwinsfan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,788 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 05:38 PM

Even Buxton would of been out by 5-10 feet , nice call Diaz

• jz7233 likes this