Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Game Recap (8/11): Frustrating Loss Marred by Heartbreaking Moments

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#21 GCTF

GCTF

Wasting Your Time

• Members
  • 3,000 posts
  • LocationCanada City

Posted 11 August 2019 - 06:43 PM

EBuAH4mWwAICy0J.jpg

As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly he would score

Edited by GCTF, 11 August 2019 - 06:44 PM.

• ashbury, USAFChief, Riverbrian and 4 others like this

Endut! Hoch Hech!

#22 jz7233

jz7233

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 500 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 06:45 PM

I would be very surprised if Diaz still has a job next season. He's worse than an amateur. His decisions absolutely make no sense in baseball games. He needs to apologize to the whole team especially Rogers.

• Dozier's Glorious Hair likes this

#23 whatyouknowtwinsfan

whatyouknowtwinsfan

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 06:49 PM

I think Diaz is vital to this team. I like his relationship with the Latin players. Instead of threatening to fire the guy, maybe we could propose him moving over to 1st base or into the dugout......... Just a thought. Just because he hasn't been a great 3B coach doesn't mean he's not an asset. The guy is a human being people. 

• Jerr, SwainZag, Kelly Vance and 1 other like this

#24 jz7233

jz7233

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 500 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 06:57 PM

Tony Diaz is the kind of guy who hits on 19 in blackjack.:banghead:

If he likes to gamble like that, he may become homeless soon.

#25 BD57

BD57

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 07:00 PM

Bad "send" ... gotta think "situational" - you've secured the tie, you have 2nd & 3rd, 1 out in the bottom of the 9th if you "hold" the second runner. 

I "pocket" the tie in favor of two shots at getting the run in; you're going to have infield & outfield in, so you'll have a good chance at getting it done.

You might "send" if it takes two perfect throws to get the out.You don't "send" if it takes a bad throw to score the run (translation:if two "normal baseball plays" throws your runner out, it's not the right move in that situation).

My other concern - either we had a slow radar gun today (which didn't seem to be the case) or Berrios is down a few MPH .... don't like seeing that.

• Kelly Vance, Dozier's Glorious Hair and jz7233 like this

#26 Bandit34

Bandit34

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 07:14 PM

Diaz: "I'll take that chance any day." Translation: We're not learning. 

• Kelly Vance, Dozier's Glorious Hair and jz7233 like this

#27 Bandit34

Bandit34

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 07:17 PM

Diaz: "I'll take that chance any day." Translation: We're not learning. 

Now here's the right thing to say: "I take responsibility for that poor play at home. I have no excuse. It was a mistake on my part." If Diaz had said that, I would feel at least a little better. I've got to believe that Rocco was secretly not happy about that. But he certainly did not yell at Diaz because the interview with Diaz would have showed a more conciliatory Diaz as opposed to: "I"ll take that chance any day." That right there tells me that he may not have been talked to about the play, unfortunately. 

• Jerr, SF Twins Fan, Dozier's Glorious Hair and 2 others like this

#28 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 07:19 PM

The toughest thing to stomach is that it would have been such a huge boost to walk off that game after being down two in the ninth against Hand. It’s almost like blowing a 9-3 lead to the Yankees.
  • jz7233, rkevin and Bandit34 like this

#29 jz7233

jz7233

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 500 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 07:25 PM

I hope the FO watched this game and made the right decision for the team. Diaz should not be 3rd base coach.

• Dozier's Glorious Hair and Bandit34 like this

#30 Bandit34

Bandit34

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 07:38 PM

I hope the FO watched this game and made the right decision for the team. Diaz should not be 3rd base coach.

That's what is so scary about all of this. Everyone who is associated with the Twins thinks it was an acceptable decision. All I can say is they must be seeing something I did not see in that play. 

• Dozier's Glorious Hair likes this

#31 Bandit34

Bandit34

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 07:42 PM

The toughest thing to stomach is that it would have been such a huge boost to walk off that game after being down two in the ninth against Hand. It’s almost like blowing a 9-3 lead to the Yankees.

My personal feeling is that this team does not have that 'spark' this year that great teams have. Fun team? Yes. But would I be surprised if we finished around 87 wins this year? I actually would not be surprised. As Morneau said earlier in the game, it doesn't really matter if your schedule gets easier, you still have to finish strong. 

• Madisonsdad likes this

#32 Bandit34

Bandit34

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 07:44 PM

We have had at least 6 or 7 games where it could have turned the season completely around and we lost the game each and every time. I just doubt very much that this is our year. 

• jz7233 likes this

#33 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• Twins Mods
  • 23,704 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 11 August 2019 - 07:46 PM

EBuAH4mWwAICy0J.jpg

It's gonna be close ... too close to call ... probably the call's going to get challenged...

• denarded, Riverbrian, Circus Boy and 3 others like this

So, in conclusion, what was your question again?

#34 Bandit34

Bandit34

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 07:59 PM

A lot of people like to say, and I once said it as well, that: "Well the Twins have not played badly, it's just Cleveland is playing out of this world." While that is true, it's also true that if teams like Houston and the Yankees would go through a stretch of something like 30-28, there would be serious discussions of firing the manager. Am I wrong?

#35 Bandit34

Bandit34

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:00 PM

A lot of people like to say, and I once said it as well, that: "Well the Twins have not played badly, it's just Cleveland is playing out of this world." While that is true, it's also true that if teams like Houston and the Yankees would go through a stretch of something like 30-28, there would be serious discussions of firing the manager. Am I wrong?

And, no, I'm not saying Rocco should be fired. But I just wonder when our team is finally going to be held to a higher standard. 

• rkevin likes this

#36 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Twins Mods
  • 10,874 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:01 PM

I can’t believe there aren’t more voices on Twins Daily simply saying, “enjoy the ride.” It’s almost like fans feel entitled to all the improbable come-from-behind victories, but the close losses are never acceptable.
  • Riverbrian, twinsnorth49, SwainZag and 2 others like this

#37 BD57

BD57

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:02 PM

That's what is so scary about all of this. Everyone who is associated with the Twins thinks it was an acceptable decision. All I can say is they must be seeing something I did not see in that play. 

I don't think they can say "Dumb move" within hours of the event, even if they think it was a dumb move - you just don't do that.

Let's see if he's still 3rd base coach next year.

• Original Whizzinator likes this

#38 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Twins Mods
  • 10,874 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:16 PM

EBuAH4mWwAICy0J.jpg

I’ve seen... closer plays at the plate.
  • Riverbrian, twinsnorth49, Circus Boy and 2 others like this

#39 GCTF

GCTF

Wasting Your Time

• Members
  • 3,000 posts
  • LocationCanada City

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:23 PM

EBuAH4mWwAICy0J.jpg

Here's the throw

Here's the play at the plate.

Holy cow, I think he's gonna make it...

• Riverbrian and rkevin like this

Endut! Hoch Hech!

#40 Bandit34

Bandit34

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:27 PM

Here's the throw

Here's the play at the plate.

Holy cow, I think he's gonna make it...

Maybe Pete Rose could have made it to home plate there with his superman slide. But...no, I think Rose would have been tagged out and he would have gotten up really angry and started walking toward the third base coach.