Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

This Ain't Over

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#161 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 03:33 PM

You'd pay Odorrizi fifteen to eighteen million per year? Because he's not turning that down. And, neither of those is signed for next year, which is kind of the actual point.... Pineda looks good, when he's actually healthy. He hasn't pitched a full year in three or four years....

What are your other options, hoping 3 - 4 rookies can cut it in one year.Scraping the bottom of the barrel and hoping one out of 3 - 4 work out.I have hopes some of the Twins Rookies will make decent bullpen pieces next year, not sure about the starters.

#162 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,021 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 03:50 PM

What are your other options, hoping 3 - 4 rookies can cut it in one year.Scraping the bottom of the barrel and hoping one out of 3 - 4 work out.I have hopes some of the Twins Rookies will make decent bullpen pieces next year, not sure about the starters.

I don't know what they are going to do. They didn't acquire any FAs or make any trades for guys with multiple years of control, other than Perez who is not good, so they'll have to figure this out. I'm not confident they can find 2, let alone 3 or 4, good starters.

Edited by Mike Sixel, 13 August 2019 - 03:50 PM.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#163 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 7,628 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 04:12 PM

Give credit to Billy Smith then, because he was the guy that brought in most of those guys. Has zero to do with the wunderkids.

Isn't development part of the process as well?
I don't buy that they have zero to do with the improvements from Kepler,Polanco, Buxton, Sano and Arraez.

#164 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 7,628 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 04:15 PM

You'd pay Odorrizi fifteen to eighteen million per year? Because he's not turning that down. And, neither of those is signed for next year, which is kind of the actual point.... Pineda looks good, when he's actually healthy. He hasn't pitched a full year in three or four years....

Odorizzi is on pace for a 3.6 bWAR and fWAR season.
Why wouldn't you pay him $18 million for a 1 year commitment?

#165 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,021 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 04:42 PM

Odorizzi is on pace for a 3.6 bWAR and fWAR season.
Why wouldn't you pay him $18 million for a 1 year commitment?

Because he's getting worse as the year goes on, and he's never been this good before? Because they wouldn't offer anyone that much money before, so would I expect them to for him? I'm not sure.

Actually, I'm more likely to offer him than Pineda, because Big Mike hasn't been healthy in forever. So, sure, I'd probably offer Odo, but I would not expect this good a year again. 

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#166 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 7,628 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 04:56 PM

Because he's getting worse as the year goes on, and he's never been this good before? Because they wouldn't offer anyone that much money before, so would I expect them to for him? I'm not sure.

Actually, I'm more likely to offer him than Pineda, because Big Mike hasn't been healthy in forever. So, sure, I'd probably offer Odo, but I would not expect this good a year again.

It's a long season. All the games count. Whatever he ends the season with will be what his performance was, regardless of when on the calendar they took place.

As far as him never being this good before, sure, that's why a QO is a much better deal for the Twins than a multi year deal.
The budget shouldn't start to get really tight until 2021, so see if he can prove this is the new norm next year.
Plenty of pitchers that you've advocated for the Twins to pursue have been guys that figured it out along the way.