Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

This Ain't Over

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#41 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 7,628 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 04:04 PM

Feels like it's over.

Hope not.

But it feels like it's over.

I started to get worried when everyone pointed to "our scheule is easier" as the reason we'd hold on. That's never a good reason.

This is how I feel.
The players and management can give all the cliches they want, but this was a defining series, and everyone on both teams knew it.
And we laid a total egg.

If we have to play a 1 game wild card playoff, after having an 11.5 game lead in the division, it's going to feel like a total gut punch.

I don't know what happened in April and May, but it sure feels like that team is gone and isn't coming back.

I hope I'm wrong.

Edited by Mr. Brooks, 11 August 2019 - 04:04 PM.

• diehardtwinsfan, LA VIkes Fan, Dman and 1 other like this

#42 ND-Fan

ND-Fan

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 04:24 PM

I hate say this but the Twins making playoffs is not a sure thing especially after this last week of play. Not have they lost the lead to Cleveland for centeral division but in this last three weeks look at what's happened to wild card standings with both Tampa and A's closing the gap. A's are only now four back in loss column to the Twins.The Twins are fading fast in dog days of August and there pitching looks like its starting to unravel and Twins offense can't cover up for it now with the recent injuries and players playing hurt. Also add in that the Twins are not playing very good defense and not doing a lot of little things that need to be done to win games. Roco has crisis on his hands and were goingto see if he can over come this or is going to fall apart. The Twins regime better hope they can stop this slide or they are going to see other side of Minnesota nice. I already have here it with reporters on their interviews they are tired of getting nothing but standard of saying nothing and being so guarded secretly on what they tried to do as organization. Even if they would have said they tried to trade to improve situation but deals cost to much or players didn't want to come here.For all improving the farm system it still appears to me they haven't developed any pitching because we about seen everyone possible to bring up here to majors. Second there signing of FA has been nothing short of disaster. A majority of there best pitchers are still from the other Regime for the Twins. It appears to me we will be looking to sign bunch of FA pitchers next year to go with this offense. I getting worried we may loose another year with this group of players to make a run in playoffs. All experts and sports reporters were making so much fun of New York Mets at the trading dead line and now look what that has done for the team. The front offices of today I think loose sight that its not all about numbers but players who need support and belief from the top on down.I think the this may have been needed here too that Front office believed they could win it all.

#43 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 04:37 PM

It's not over, but it feels like it is. I'd like to be wrong.

In the meantime, since neither Buxton or Cruz will be back before September, Rocco needs to change the line-up. Sano cannot hit 3rd.

Arreaz
Polanco
Kepler
Rosario
Sano
and fill in the rest.

I think you have to flip Sano and Rosario otherwise you are making it pretty easy to manage the bullpen late.

#44 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 14,628 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 05:27 PM

You forgot "Kluber's coming back" also.

I’m actually skeptical this will help Cleveland. I don’t trust pitchers coming back from a prolonged layoff.

He’s also 33 and wasn’t pitching well prior to his injury. I’m hoping he stinks again but Cleveland gives him a nice long leash because of his status with the organization.
  • glunn, SwainZag, DocBauer and 1 other like this

#45 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,020 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 06:36 PM

People keep typing this is a young team. It's not close to young. It's not inexperienced either.
  • Jham, Platoon, jud6312 and 3 others like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#46 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,044 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 11 August 2019 - 07:46 PM

Feels like it's over.

Hope not.

But it feels like it's over.

I started to get worried when everyone pointed to "our scheule is easier" as the reason we'd hold on. That's never a good reason.

Totally agree that using the schedule as a rationale for success is backwards. Your goal should be to be able to compete with every team, not just the also rans. To me a bigger issue is team construction. This is an offense based team in a pitching based sport. You can win games in the regular season this way, and some in the playoffs. But bottom line is that pitching wins way more often than hitting in tight playoff baseball. And for the Twins, that's definitely a reason to be worried.
  • Dman, bighat and Battle ur tail off like this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#47 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 07:51 PM

Those must be Vikings fans because that's what we hear about the Vikings every year... at least until the team bubbles up to the top, gets the tough schedule, and collapses early on.

Edited by Doomtints, 11 August 2019 - 07:57 PM.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#48 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• Twins Mods
  • 11,310 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 07:52 PM

Far from over. Going to be an exciting September, hopefully Buck gets back soon and gives them a spark, they are a far better team with him in the lineup. A healthy Cruz will be key in the final month as well. It's difficult to see the pitching hold up no doubt, but I'm not going to pout through a pennant race. Just have to hope they can figure it out. I'll save my bitching until the off season, the full wrath can wait until it's actually over. 

• Riverbrian, Hosken Bombo Disco and Original Whizzinator like this

#49 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 07:54 PM

Some things:

1) I'm not sure who this post was directed at, but if it was meant to calm people down it seemed to have the opposite effect.

2) No one truly thinks the Twins are "done" even if the missteps have been predictable. We know there is a lot more baseball left.

3) Though the team missed chances to improve, the Twins still control their own destiny.

4) That jockey appears to be wearing something very close to a Twins uniform.

• brvama and Madisonsdad like this

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#50 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• Twins Mods
  • 11,310 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:00 PM

To be fair, I don't think the reason the Twins think they can win the division is because of their schedule. 

A lot of believing that on Twins Daily is meaningless. 

• Sconnie likes this

#51 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 23,581 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:15 PM

That jockey appears to be trying to dismount in the middle of the race and before the jump is even attempted, and I am not an expert on horse competitions but I'm not sure I've ever seen something like that.

I was trying to think of how to equate this jockey maneuver to the third base coach sending hapless Ehire to his doom, but I got nothing.

no-answer.gif

It was more like a jockey trying to get on a horse in the middle of the race. "The game moves too fast for some people."

• glunn, Sconnie and Doomtints like this

So, in conclusion, what was your question again?

#52 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• Twins Mods
  • 11,310 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:17 PM

That jockey dusted himself off and walked away, the Twins will do the same after this weekend. They'll keep playing. 

• glunn, DocBauer and Original Whizzinator like this

#53 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 21,802 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:41 PM

Some things:

1) I'm not sure who this post was directed at, but if it was meant to calm people down it seemed to have the opposite effect.

2) No one truly thinks the Twins are "done" even if the missteps have been predictable. We know there is a lot more baseball left.

3) Though the team missed chances to improve, the Twins still control their own destiny.

1. The post was directed at anyone who was posting its over and people were posting its over.

2. People were posting its over. If they don’t truly believe it... they shouldn’t post it.

3. I agree. Not in total control sincr every team they play gets a vote in this democracy.

4. The flipping jockey is Gardenhire. 😀
  • ashbury, glunn, twinsnorth49 and 1 other like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#54 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:42 PM

You are free to oppose my opinion, but I see a three and out loss in the first round as a failure for this organization. We tied the record for the most consecutive post season losses in a row with our last post season loss in NY. I'm not OK with that as a fan.

So you throw a hard ball at a batter?No sale.That is bush league. This is entertainment, not the end of the world or a license to injury a person trying to do his job.. Get some perspective. Remember Tony C. That was an accident. What you advocate is assault and battery.That is not ok. 

• Nine of twelve likes this

#55 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,738 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:45 PM

So you throw a hard ball at a batter? No sale. That is bush league. This is entertainment, not the end of the world or a license to injury a person trying to do his job.. Get some perspective. Remember Tony C. That was an accident. What you advocate is assault and battery. That is not ok.

personally I'd be fine with Puig wearing one in the ribs. He can wave on his way to first, like he did twice on the base paths this weekend.
  • Original Whizzinator likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#56 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:49 PM

Oh God... I won't put a dollar on the Twins against the Yankees in a playoff series either.

I also won't put a dollar on the Yankees against the Twins either.

I've seen decades and decades of playoff series results and have acquired enough information over my lifetime to not touch this sort of bet with a ten foot pole.

Forget you and me.

Simply check the outcomes between the two teams. You can't debunk the very human realistic skepticism any fan might have about our chances against them in the playoffs.
I can't ignore the way this team is losing when assessing their chances, nor can I ignore the playoff futility against the team we would likely face.

Not saying it's over. I'm just not buying into what you're selling. Sorry

#57 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:53 PM

personally I'd be fine with Puig wearing one in the ribs. He can wave on his way to first, like he did twice on the base paths this weekend.

personally, I think hitting a batter because he is successful makes you a loser. And liking it makes you one too,  

Edited by Kelly Vance, 11 August 2019 - 08:56 PM.

• Nine of twelve likes this

#58 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:53 PM

It’s certainly not over.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to feel like the division race looks bleak at the moment (even after last night’s win). I think that’s probably the most realistic.

Our most valuable offensive player (Cruz) and most valuable defensive player (Buxton) are both missing significant time down the stretch. Meanwhile, Lindor looks like an MVP, Ramirez and Kipnes are producing, and Clevinger and Beiber look like two of the best pitchers in the game. Cleveland has been the best team in baseball since June. We’re just over .500 during that time.

Given the way things have going for quite some time now, it’s really difficult to see he Twins outpacing them through the final 50 or so games. I’m sure many will consider this trolling, but I think it’s just reality right now.

Entirely fair

#59 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 21,802 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:59 PM

Forget you and me.

Simply check the outcomes between the two teams. You can't debunk the very human realistic skepticism any fan might have about our chances against them in the playoffs.
I can't ignore the way this team is losing when assessing their chances, nor can I ignore the playoff futility against the team we would likely face.

When the playoffs begin. Everything that happened prior... happened prior.

It’s a brand new day... everyday.
  • Kelly Vance and Nine of twelve like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#60 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 09:01 PM

Forget you and me.

No sale. And skepticism was not what you were selling. You were selling bad sportsmanship, spite, and a whole lot of BS. You were saying we should bean their guys because they have success against us.That is bush league. In any league. 

Guy is better than you, you should acknowledge it and tip your cap. Not try to injure him. 

• SwainZag and DocBauer like this