Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

This Ain't Over

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#21 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 22,456 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 09:40 AM

Because you are wrong.

Check the words you use.

Thumped?
Consistent?

Then check the standings
Then check the run differential
Then check the remaining schedule
Then consider if you tend to embellish toward the "Everything with the Twins is ****" side of things... just a little bit.

Then check the actual records against winning teams.
Then check the box scores of the actual games.
Then check the actual records of other winning teams against other winning teams.
Then compare and contrast.
Then consider the moving target that is (winning/losing teams).
Are the Mets a winning team Now? Were the Mets a winning team a month ago?

Then strongly consider if you are twisting the definition of "Thumped" and "Consistent" beyond the recognition of those with a standard education.

Then consider that you are walking into a room full of people who have checked all of the things listed above and many more things not listed.

And then consider if they know what "Thumped" and "Consistent" means.

And then imagine their opinion of your CONSISTENT, "Everything with the Twins is ****" posts.

source.gif
  • birdwatcher, Riverbrian, SwainZag and 2 others like this

#22 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 21,816 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 11 August 2019 - 09:41 AM

It's nice to be glass half full, but I don't brush aside history or warning signs. We certainly had a great run this year. There is no denying that, but there is still a lot of baseball to be played and we are now neck and neck with a team that has momentum. If fans want to be confident then I say good for them. I'm not in that camp, though

If I subscribed to the gumdrops and lollipops angle then we are going all the way. I don't think anyone is that over-confident (although I remain hopeful as long as we have a shot)

Being a fan for well over 40 years and understanding the shifts and twists and turns in a baseball season I can't be too optimistic. We've lost key guys and they will be out for a while. We have no pitching depth. Even with our cited record against the American League East I have no confidence that we can beat the Yankees in a short series. That brutal loss a couple of weeks ago joins a long line of brutal losses against that team which began with that Friday night Giambi walk-off grand slam in May of 2002. We have lost the last 13 post season games against them.

Show me something first before I get excited. I (all of us) have seen that rerun and it's old. I will nothing from a one and done sweep at the hands of the Yankees. I would rather we not get in at all if that were to happen

That's just me

There is a clear difference between

Camp A: Gumdrops and Lollipops

Camp B: Not Knowing what is going to happen

Camp C: Not Brushing Aside past history or warning signs. 

Sometimes while countering confident Camp C Posts

The Camp B Posters gets accused of sounding like an Camp A poster. 

• glunn, LA VIkes Fan and bighat like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#23 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 09:55 AM

There is a clear difference between

Camp A: Gumdrops and Lollipops

Camp B: Not Knowing what is going to happen

Camp C: Not Brushing Aside past history or warning signs.

Sometimes while countering confident Camp C Posts

The Camp B Posters gets accused of sounding like an Camp A poster.

I never claimed to know the future, but I wouldn't put a dollar on us TODAY in a playoff series against the Yankees.

#24 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 21,816 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 09:58 AM

I never claimed to know the future, but I wouldn't put a dollar on us TODAY in a playoff series against the Yankees.

Oh God... I won't put a dollar on the Twins against the Yankees in a playoff series either. 

I also won't put a dollar on the Yankees against the Twins either. 

I've seen decades and decades of playoff series results and have acquired enough information over my lifetime to not touch this sort of bet with a ten foot pole. 

• brvama, DocBauer and Original Whizzinator like this

Founded 4-23-16 

#25 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 10:08 AM

It’s certainly not over.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to feel like the division race looks bleak at the moment (even after last night’s win). I think that’s probably the most realistic.

Our most valuable offensive player (Cruz) and most valuable defensive player (Buxton) are both missing significant time down the stretch. Meanwhile, Lindor looks like an MVP, Ramirez and Kipnes are producing, and Clevinger and Beiber look like two of the best pitchers in the game. Cleveland has been the best team in baseball since June. We’re just over .500 during that time.

Given the way things have going for quite some time now, it’s really difficult to see he Twins outpacing them through the final 50 or so games. I’m sure many will consider this trolling, but I think it’s just reality right now.

All your reasons are very valid but they are also the prevailing winds Riverbrian was talking about.Maybe in 3 weeks Cleveland starts to feel the effects of losing all of Bauer's innings. Maybe Buxton and Cruz come back and the offense ignites and the pitchers feel better about the defense. Winds shift. Then they shift again again,Then again.

• glunn, brvama, Riverbrian and 2 others like this

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#26 Original Whizzinator

Original Whizzinator

Wahoo

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 11 August 2019 - 10:09 AM

Being on sports, not the best idea I think.

#27 Original Whizzinator

Original Whizzinator

Wahoo

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 11 August 2019 - 10:11 AM

With the way the schedule finishes up this year I think even if the twins are three games back and ten games left they'll still have a shot. Translation: should be exciting right up to the end of the marathon.
  • glunn, brvama, Riverbrian and 3 others like this

#28 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 21,816 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 10:20 AM

All your reasons are very valid but they are also the prevailing winds Riverbrian was talking about.Maybe in 3 weeks Cleveland starts to feel the effects of losing all of Bauer's innings. Maybe Buxton and Cruz come back and the offense ignites and the pitchers feel better about the defense. Winds shift. Then they shift again again,Then again.

Maybe Jack Cave goes 8 for 10 with 4 home runs in the next series against the Indians. 

The possibility of all possibilities are hard to list without carpal tunnel afterwards. 

• Dantes929 likes this

Founded 4-23-16 

#29 TwinsCD

TwinsCD

• Members
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 11 August 2019 - 10:28 AM

That brutal loss a couple of weeks ago joins a long line of brutal losses against that team which began with that Friday night Giambi walk-off grand slam in May of 2002. We have lost the last 13 post season games against them.

I was at that game.Thanks for the flashback.Now I gotta get my PTSD prescription renewed.

• brvama, Riverbrian and Platoon like this

#30 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,791 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 11 August 2019 - 10:29 AM

Maybe Jack Cave goes 8 for 10 with 4 home runs in the next series against the Indians.

The possibility of all possibilities are hard to list without carpal tunnel afterwards.

meaning...Jake Cave truly was the player to be named later?
  • birdwatcher, Riverbrian and spycake like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#31 akmanak

akmanak

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 10:59 AM

I like how the mods can call you out and get free rein, but as soon as you do it you get a 2 week ban.

Edited by akmanak, 11 August 2019 - 11:00 AM.

• Madisonsdad, Kelly Vance and jud6312 like this

#32 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 11:19 AM

Exactly...and that is why it will be easy to let go if this team falters through all that.

That said, if this team bows out in the first round without so much as a peep I will be pretty irate.

Funny how that works

For me we just can't have that without massive changes in the approach. I'm talking about playing for revenge if it's the Yankees that take us out again. If somehow we meet them and fall down AGAIN....it's time to start beaning some dudes in pinstripes in 2020

You need to walk that back a bit. 

You are either a true fan or you are not. A true fan roots for the team, but becoming irate because they don't win a playoff game is pretty ridiculous. Baseball is a past time, a sport, entertainment. It is not life and death. The guys are trying and doing well. Twins fans have a right to be happy about this year. If they lose, I still thank them for their effort, and being so fun to watch. 

I respect our competition. I admire the Yankees ability to overcome injuries. Same with the Indians.I enjoy watching them play.And if they beat us, more power to em. So,No, its not time to start beaning anyone in pinstripes. That is a punk thing to do and baseball has made it an ejectable offense for a reason. Thuggery has no place in a professional sport..  

• glunn, brvama, Riverbrian and 3 others like this

#33 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 11:22 AM

Lets stay within the realm of possibility here.Cave doing that would be about as likely as Max Kepler hitting 5 straight home runs against Cleveland all star Trevor B......oh wait.I guess that did happen.Can;t wait to see Cave in the next Cleveland series. 

• glunn, brvama, Riverbrian and 4 others like this

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#34 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,036 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 11:26 AM

I like the odds to make the playoffs. I don't like the odds to advance much. I really hope they get pitching this next off season.
  • Dman, jud6312, Original Whizzinator and 1 other like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#35 Original Whizzinator

Original Whizzinator

Wahoo

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 11 August 2019 - 11:36 AM

The young core has progressed about as nicely as I could have hoped this year. The next step for them all is to get themselves through the season in position to contribute in the fall. That is the great separator.
  • Riverbrian and LA VIkes Fan like this

#36 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 12:21 PM

Just in general and not directed anywhere in particular.

I don't even come close to listening to or reading all news pertaining to this season generally, or the Twins in particular, however, the only negativity I hear seems to come from posters here.

And that is more than OK. We all have our own opinions based on various factors. And perhaps I'm just an optimist, but I do find some of the negativity "interesting" to say the least.

1] The young talent is finally maturing and performing as hoped/expected.

2] For every move the FO hasn't made, they have made 3 or 4 positive ones. Example: they didn't sign a major FA RP and got blasted for it. Including by me. And now it appears they were right.

3] Despite what the Twins DON'T have, they have an awful lot. And they have one of the best teams and best records in ALL of MLB. And they also haven't done by simply beating up on lesser teams. You don't do that with luck and smoke and mirrors.

4] There are ebbs and flows to every season. Recently, the Dodgers had the best record in baseball but had a month long stretch where they stunk and couldn't hardly buy a win. Our Twins have scuffled a bit lately and suddenly they are terribly flawed and the season is quickly slipping away from them???

This is a young, deep and talented team having an excellent season. They have as good of a chance as anyone at this point. And their window op opportunity is just opening.
  • pbrezeasap, brvama, Riverbrian and 4 others like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#37 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 14,193 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 11 August 2019 - 12:28 PM

I like how the mods can call you out and get free rein, but as soon as you do it you get a 2 week ban.

Since I have not interacted with you, I'm going to step in and try and get this thread back on track.

A couple of comments... ​There is no enforced opinion. Mods don't even agree on the front office. If you don't think so, just look up Chief's posts and compare them to many of my own. We're all Twins fans here, and we all have different ideas on what needs to be done. That is the beauty of this site. There are several things that are enforced:

1. How things are articulated. If you cannot express an opinion without referring to those that disagree with you in a disparaging manner, you're going to find yourself on our radar. Don't dehumanize people. Don't call them names. Don't resort to bickering and simply taking shots at people, etc.
  2. We do care about where things are articulated. Your comments in this thread are a good example. Any one of us are available via PM, and Minncentric forum is also a great place to bring these up. It happens from time to time. What you've done here though is called threadjacking. We're now on a tangent about moderation in a thread that had nothing to do with it. Threads will certainly take on tangents over time, but this isn't even baseball related. It's incredibly disrespectful. People aren't reading Brain's thread to read about moderation. We've specifically called out discussing moderation in forumsfor this reason. I'd add, again, there's a place for it if you feel it necessary.
  3. We also care about trolling. It's not that much different than the above, but inserting that pet topic into thread after thread doesn't result in good discussion. It usually leads to bickering, and if you were on this site a few years ago, you'll know what we're talking about... when literally every single thread had been hijacked by the same people having the same argument, to the point that forums nearly got shut down permanently. Drive by posting is another example, whether that be in game threads or really anywhere.

There is a comment policy, and this and a lot more are detailed out. You can find it here:

http://twinsdaily.co...comment-policy/

If I were to summarize it... have respect for other people. Respect the topics the posters want to discuss. Respect people you don't agree with. Respect the standards we're trying to maintain here.

And yes, this is a friendly mod warning. The next one won't be. Let's please try and get this thread back on topic. If you have issues, PM me, post something in Mincentric. Please. 

• glunn, pbrezeasap, Riverbrian and 6 others like this

#38 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 03:18 PM

You need to walk that back a bit.
You are either a true fan or you are not. A true fan roots for the team, but becoming irate because they don't win a playoff game is pretty ridiculous. Baseball is a past time, a sport, entertainment. It is not life and death. The guys are trying and doing well. Twins fans have a right to be happy about this year. If they lose, I still thank them for their effort, and being so fun to watch.

I respect our competition. I admire the Yankees ability to overcome injuries. Same with the Indians. I enjoy watching them play. And if they beat us, more power to em. So, No, its not time to start beaning anyone in pinstripes. That is a punk thing to do and baseball has made it an ejectable offense for a reason. Thuggery has no place in a professional sport..

You are free to oppose my opinion, but I see a three and out loss in the first round as a failure for this organization. We tied the record for the most consecutive post season losses in a row with our last post season loss in NY. I'm not OK with that as a fan.
  • Battle ur tail off likes this

#39 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 03:53 PM

It's not over, but it feels like it is. I'd like to be wrong.

In the meantime, since neither Buxton or Cruz will be back before September, Rocco needs to change the line-up. Sano cannot hit 3rd.

Arreaz

Polanco

Kepler

Rosario  

Sano

and fill in the rest. 

#40 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,791 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 11 August 2019 - 03:58 PM

Feels like it's over.

Hope not.

But it feels like it's over.

I started to get worried when everyone pointed to "our scheule is easier" as the reason we'd hold on. That's never a good reason. 

• diehardtwinsfan, Madisonsdad, Dman and 5 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.