Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

This Ain't Over

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#1 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 21,816 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 10 August 2019 - 07:08 PM

I'm shocked by the prevailing winds around here. 

Pennant races are like horse races. Every year there is a back and forth, just like the race track. 

Leads often change hands, distances are shortened and then lengthened or lengthened and then shortened.

It doesn't end until the finish line. No one knows what is going to happen. 

rider1.gif

The Jockey who flipped was Ron Gardenhire riding his horse "Tiger". 

• glunn, Blake, pbrezeasap and 19 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#2 operation mindcrime

operation mindcrime

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 07:25 PM

Does this jockey think he's Byron Buxton or something? :)
  • ashbury, glunn, birdwatcher and 9 others like this

#3 tbhysgb

tbhysgb

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 07:31 PM

I remember driving to Kansas the night of a game 163, trying to find a station playing the game going through South Dakota, then Nebraska. There’s a story there if I can find my point.

Oh yea, it’s a long season and it’s gonna be tight.
  • glunn, birdwatcher, Riverbrian and 2 others like this

#4 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• Twins Mods
  • 23,648 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 10 August 2019 - 08:27 PM

When I think of the 2019 Twins I now shall evermore think too of this video. They are inextricably linked. Thanks!

• glunn, Riverbrian, Sconnie and 2 others like this

So, in conclusion, what was your question again?

#5 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• Members
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 09:12 PM

You just wanted an excuse to post that video, didn’t you? That’s hilarious.
  • Riverbrian, Sconnie and rkevin like this

#6 twinssporto

twinssporto

Throwin' Aspirins

• Members
  • 1,983 posts
  • LocationTonka

Posted 10 August 2019 - 09:14 PM

We're gonna have at least 8 games of nerves in the playoffs (if we sweep everyone) and yes we will make the playoffs. We also could have 14 games of nerves and adrenaline.

Everyone relax. This is training for your nerves and optimism.  

• glunn, Jerr, James and 6 others like this

On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

#7 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 07:37 AM

It’s certainly not over.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to feel like the division race looks bleak at the moment (even after last night’s win). I think that’s probably the most realistic.

Our most valuable offensive player (Cruz) and most valuable defensive player (Buxton) are both missing significant time down the stretch. Meanwhile, Lindor looks like an MVP, Ramirez and Kipnes are producing, and Clevinger and Beiber look like two of the best pitchers in the game. Cleveland has been the best team in baseball since June. We’re just over .500 during that time.

Given the way things have going for quite some time now, it’s really difficult to see he Twins outpacing them through the final 50 or so games. I’m sure many will consider this trolling, but I think it’s just reality right now.

Edited by Darius, 11 August 2019 - 07:39 AM.

• glunn, adjacent, LA VIkes Fan and 6 others like this

#8 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 21,816 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 07:49 AM

It’s certainly not over.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to feel like the division race looks bleak at the moment (even after last night’s win). I think that’s probably the most realistic.

Our most valuable offensive player (Cruz) and most valuable defensive player (Buxton) are both missing significant time down the stretch. Meanwhile, Lindor looks like an MVP, Ramirez and Kipnes are producing, and Clevinger and Beiber look like two of the best pitchers in the game. Cleveland has been the best team in baseball since June. We’re just over .500 during that time.

Given the way things have going for quite some time now, it’s really difficult to see he Twins outpacing them through the final 50 or so games. I’m sure many will consider this trolling, but I think it’s just reality right now.

giphy.gif

• glunn and Blake like this

Founded 4-23-16 

#9 Original Whizzinator

Original Whizzinator

Wahoo

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:09 AM

I think with the remaining schedule we are in good shape. Something like 10 or 12 of the games we will be playing the dregs while Cleveland is up against the top teams. That's about a quarter of the remaining games we have a much easier road. 6 remaining against them and we are tied head to head right now. Cleveland and the Twins have the same winning percentage against losing and winning teams this year, so if we have an easier schedule...It's going to be tight and if we're down we have a big scheduling advantage right at the end for possible end of season heroics. This is setting up nicely. If we send them to New York down two I'll be pumped.

Edited by Original Whizzinator, 11 August 2019 - 08:12 AM.

• LA VIkes Fan, DocBauer and TwinsCD like this

#10 TwinsCD

TwinsCD

• Members
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:10 AM

It’s certainly not over.

26 of the Twins last 45 games are against the soft underbelly of the AL Central.If they don't get it done against that weak schedule -- the same weak schedule Cleveland feasted on after the ASB -- then they don't deserve to win the division.

• Blake, pbrezeasap, BigSkyTwinsFan and 10 others like this

#11 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:17 AM

Does this jockey think he's Byron Buxton or something? :)

Oh no, you didn't
  • Riverbrian and operation mindcrime like this

#12 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:21 AM

26 of the Twins last 45 games are against the soft underbelly of the AL Central. If they don't get it done against that weak schedule -- the same weak schedule Cleveland feasted on after the ASB -- then they don't deserve to win the division.

Exactly...and that is why it will be easy to let go if this team falters through all that.

That said, if this team bows out in the first round without so much as a peep I will be pretty irate.

Funny how that works

For me we just can't have that without massive changes in the approach. I'm talking about playing for revenge if it's the Yankees that take us out again. If somehow we meet them and fall down AGAIN....it's time to start beaning some dudes in pinstripes in 2020

#13 akmanak

akmanak

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:23 AM

Hopefully I dont get the ban hammer again for asking this, but how do you really believe we can make the playoffs when we are getting thumped by teams with a winning record on a consistent basis?
  • SpicyGarvSauce likes this

#14 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:33 AM

It’s certainly not over.

You forgot "Kluber's coming back" also.

I do think you're being a bit pessimistic - but at the same time, given all the reasons you listed it's hard to argue.

This Twins team has surprised us all year, though. Don't count them out now. Cleveland has a rough schedule here the next couple weeks: they'll host Boston and go to Yankee Stadium next week, in fact.

The Twins certainly need their starting pitching to step up. And a loss today would be brutal. But there's a chance this team gets red-hot again, and if they do, watch out.

• Dman and Original Whizzinator like this

#15 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 6,489 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:48 AM

rider1.gif

The Jockey who flipped was Ron Gardenhire riding his horse "Tiger". 

scoring

• birdwatcher, Riverbrian, Dantes929 and 5 others like this

#16 Original Whizzinator

Original Whizzinator

Wahoo

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:57 AM

Hopefully I dont get the ban hammer again for asking this, but how do you really believe we can make the playoffs when we are getting thumped by teams with a winning record on a consistent basis?

Record vs winning teams 27-30
Record vs American League East 18-11
Cleveland 20-25 & 15-9.
Looks exactly the same to me except one thing; the damn tribe has 12 more remaining games against winning teams than us.

Edited by Original Whizzinator, 11 August 2019 - 08:57 AM.

• Blake, Riverbrian, Dantes929 and 4 others like this

#17 Original Whizzinator

Original Whizzinator

Wahoo

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 11 August 2019 - 09:07 AM

Teams like the Yankees Dodgers Astros and even the Braves have winning records against winning teams. That means if the Twins do make the postseason they won't be the favorites. #@#&$- I'll take that, especially after the last decade we've been through.
  • bighat likes this

#18 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 21,816 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 09:17 AM

Because you are wrong. 

Check the words you use. 

Thumped?

Consistent? 

Then check the standings

Then check the run differential

Then check the remaining schedule

Then consider if you tend to embellish toward the "Everything with the Twins is ****" side of things... just a little bit. 

Then check the actual records against winning teams. 

Then check the box scores of the actual games.

Then check the actual records of other winning teams against other winning teams.

Then compare and contrast. 

Then consider the moving target that is (winning/losing teams). 

Are the Mets a winning team Now? Were the Mets a winning team a month ago? 

Then strongly consider if you are twisting the definition of "Thumped" and "Consistent" beyond the recognition of those with a standard education. 

Then consider that you are walking into a room full of people who have checked all of the things listed above and many more things not listed. 

And then consider if they know what "Thumped" and "Consistent" means. 

And then imagine their opinion of your CONSISTENT, "Everything with the Twins is ****" posts. 

• birdwatcher, Blake, brvama and 12 others like this

Founded 4-23-16 

#19 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 09:27 AM

It's nice to be glass half full, but I don't brush aside history or warning signs. We certainly had a great run this year. There is no denying that, but there is still a lot of baseball to be played and we are now neck and neck with a team that has momentum. If fans want to be confident then I say good for them. I'm not in that camp, though

If I subscribed to the gumdrops and lollipops angle then we are going all the way. I don't think anyone is that over-confident (although I remain hopeful as long as we have a shot)

Being a fan for well over 40 years and understanding the shifts and twists and turns in a baseball season I can't be too optimistic. We've lost key guys and they will be out for a while. We have no pitching depth. Even with our cited record against the American League East I have no confidence that we can beat the Yankees in a short series. That brutal loss a couple of weeks ago joins a long line of brutal losses against that team which began with that Friday night Giambi walk-off grand slam in May of 2002. We have lost the last 13 post season games against them.

Show me something first before I get excited. I (all of us) have seen that rerun and it's old. I will nothing from a one and done sweep at the hands of the Yankees. I would rather we not get in at all if that were to happen

That's just me
  • rkevin likes this

#20 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 3,309 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 09:31 AM

You never know. At one point we would all be happy if the Twins played .500 ball...they seemed a shoo-in with a double-digit lead.

But Cleveland played like the Twins did at season's beginning. Hey, look at the Mets 15-1 in the last 16 games. You never know. Remember when Oakland in Moneyball pulled off 20 straight? 

There is always the Wildcard race.

The key is managing the team. Playing hard, still having fun, resting guys, etc. etc. The Twins never give up. It looks like they will have Dyson, Pineda and Cruz back in the next 10-12 days. Then September will see roster expansion.

But the Indians have showed how a team CAN improve. They have the hitting the Twins have, so even their lesser pitchers just have to hold the otehr team down in the runs number. Twins have to do the same (which, again, brings us abck to managing. Don't let the hole get too deep, as you have the potential to battle back and score big ... especially against lesser bullpens.)

• glunn, brvama, LA VIkes Fan and 2 others like this

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com