Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Looking Ahead to the Twins Postseason Rotation

jose berrios michael pineda jake odorizzi kyle gibson martin perez
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 D.C Twins

D.C Twins

Ft Myers Miracle

• 377 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 12:20 PM

Great article....good info

The take home is that we have just haven't been pitching Perez on 3 days rest all season right :)

#22 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,001 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 10 August 2019 - 12:31 PM

At what point do you yank Perez regardless of health?

Honestly... I have no idea what the result would be... but I want him in the bullpen now. Let's see if he can hang some zeroes in shorter stints. 

We have the starting rotation concerns that I expressed, that is at the top of my list of concerns but the bullpen isn't complete either and we need a solution for that as well.

Moving Perez into the pen may seem desperate but these are the tools we have to work with.  

Let's see what Perez can do in the pen and let's see what someone else can do in the rotation at the same time. 

If Perez fails in the pen... give him a little rope but the clock is ticking. Then you yank. 

I'd imagine that Wes is working on things with him and they want to see if they can restore him back to what he was in April and May but the clock is ticking. Make the move to the pen... right now. 

• Sconnie and D.C Twins like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#23 DannySD

DannySD

Elizabethton Twins

• 15 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:41 AM

Gibson seems like he could make a really good swing reliever, so I'd have him there in the ALDS, and it sets up an interesting staff where we can put whoever is pitching best on the postseason roster and have a bunch of different guys who can pitch anywhere in the game, something like:

Berrios

Pineda

Odorizzi

Smeltzer

Gibson

Rogers

Romo

Dyson

Harper
Graterol
Duffey
May/Thorpe/etc

I can picture that bullpen being very successful. 

#24 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,142 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 09:41 AM

Does anyone else see a discomforting similarity between the calls for Graterol this year and the calls for Romero last year?

• USAFChief likes this

#25 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,001 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 09:48 AM

Does anyone else see a discomforting similarity between the calls for Graterol this year and the calls for Romero last year?

I do

I also notice the similarity between the call for Graterol, Romero and the call to city officials to fix a pothole.:)

• ashbury, birdwatcher and SD Buhr like this

Founded 4-23-16 

#26 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,142 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 09:49 AM

Unless the light bulb goes back on for Martin Perez and we see improved pitch quality and some semblance of command again, I don't quite understand why we'd assume he'd be a liability in the rotation but an asset in the pen.

Wouldn't it be likely that Thorpe and Smeltzer are better lefty options? Maybe even Gonsalves?

I'd probably also take a bet that Hildenberger is a more effective postseason option than Graterol. In fact, it wouldn't shock me if he came back and was one of 4-5 effective postseason performers out of the pen.

#27 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,001 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 09:54 AM

Unless the light bulb goes back on for Martin Perez and we see improved pitch quality and some semblance of command again, I don't quite understand why we'd assume he'd be a liability in the rotation but an asset in the pen.

Wouldn't it be likely that Thorpe and Smeltzer are better lefty options? Maybe even Gonsalves?

I'd probably also take a bet that Hildenberger is a more effective postseason option than Graterol. In fact, it wouldn't shock me if he came back and was one of 4-5 effective postseason performers out of the pen.

No Assumption

So now please instead of later. 

A hypothesis at best. Plain ole Wishful Thinking is also a strong possibility... but obvious recognition that we need to try something else in both the rotation and bullpen. 

Founded 4-23-16 

#28 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,738 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 04:16 PM

This is two outings in a row where Berrios has sat 2-3 mph down on his fastball.

If something is wrong with him, we're in big trouble.
  • USAFChief, birdwatcher and Highabove like this

#29 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,397 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 04:46 PM

Berrios is on pace to get 8 or 9 more regular season starts, depending on whether the Twins will be able to hold him back or be forced to use him in game 162 just to get in. There are exactly 45 games remaining which theoretically means 9 more turns for every starter.

Point being, even with just 8 more starts, Berrios is on pace to throw more pitches than he ever has before.

Edit: My bad. 44 games left. B-R hasn’t updated standings yet.

It’s worth noting that Berrios didn’t finish strong in 2018 either. He had a 4.5 ERA in August and September after being about 3.7 before that. Lots of baserunners. I would say DL him to give him the time off but that really isn’t an option.

Edited by yarnivek1972, 11 August 2019 - 04:56 PM.

#30 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,001 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 06:34 PM

This is two outings in a row where Berrios has sat 2-3 mph down on his fastball.

If something is wrong with him, we're in big trouble.

We would have to Milwaukee Brewer this thing together.

A couple of innings here and there until the game is over. 

Founded 4-23-16 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jose berrios, michael pineda, jake odorizzi, kyle gibson, martin perez