Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Game Recap (8/9): Twins Set Home Run Record, Lose to Cleveland

randy dobnak jason castro eddie rosario devin smeltzer
  • Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 jaimedude2

jaimedude2

• 1,335 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 08:13 AM

Seltzer or Dobnak, or Duffey need to go down, need a bat to be brought up. Bring up Larnach he can hang and better right fielder an Cave. Gotta have arm to play right field in this park.
  • mikelink45 and bighat like this

#22 jaimedude2

jaimedude2

• 1,335 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 08:13 AM

Seltzer or Dobnak, or Duffey need to go down, need a bat to be brought up. Bring up Larnach he can hang and better right fielder an Cave. Gotta have arm to play right field in this park.

#23 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,269 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 08:18 AM

Disagree. The bullpen is plenty rested, so no one “needs” to be sent down for a fresh arm. And Larnach should post some good numbers in AA before even being considered. That probably means next season, not this season.
  • Mike Sixel, Puckett34, Danchat and 2 others like this

#24 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Ft Myers Miracle

• 291 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 08:20 AM

I’m mixed on Smeltzer getting another start. It wasn’t just the third time through the order. He was getting hit hard all night.

Doesn't take a genuis to see that he probably doesn't have what it takes to be a ML starter. His fastball sits at 89 mph. That just doesn't get it done unless you have pinpoint control. 

Sure wish the pitching staff would have been addressed. It is just a darn shame to waste the offense we have this year. But alas. Those expecting it to change are probably in for a rude awakening. 

People are buying tickets and spending money. That is, was, and probably always will be the #1 goal with this organization. Too bad really, we've had some pretty good chances on a few of these teams the last 15 years or so if they had only added those last few pieces. They would cost money or prospects though. Both of which we hate to give up because FA cost money, and letting go of prospects that we can control for a low dollar amount stings them to no end. 

• Mike Sixel, Doomtints and D.C Twins like this

#25 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Ft Myers Miracle

• 453 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 08:32 AM

More losses without Buxton. He's the straw.

I agree with jokin- these starting pitchers not named Berrios should be pulled after twice through the lineup. I'm not an opener advocate but let's try something different.
  • jokin, h2oface and mikelink45 like this

#26 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,185 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 08:40 AM

All is not lost. It is still early August and the Twins are tied for first place and are on pace to set a new MLB record for home runs. The Twins have the easiest remaining schedule of any of the major league contenders. There will be many victories over the Faded Sox, KC and the Sunshine Band and the Detroit Kittens. You must admit this is way more fun than last year.

• Puckett34, TwinsCD, AceWrigley and 1 other like this

#27 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,269 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 08:42 AM

Doesn't take a genuis to see that he probably doesn't have what it takes to be a ML starter. His fastball sits at 89 mph. That just doesn't get it done unless you have pinpoint control. 

Sure wish the pitching staff would have been addressed. It is just a darn shame to waste the offense we have this year. But alas. Those expecting it to change are probably in for a rude awakening. 

People are buying tickets and spending money. That is, was, and probably always will be the #1 goal with this organization. Too bad really, we've had some pretty good chances on a few of these teams the last 15 years or so if they had only added those last few pieces. They would cost money or prospects though. Both of which we hate to give up because FA cost money, and letting go of prospects that we can control for a low dollar amount stings them to no end.

Agree, if this wasn’t the year to make a deadline deal, then there never, ever will be.
  • Vanimal46 and Battle ur tail off like this

#28 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Minnesota Twins

• 2,595 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 08:47 AM

I was out of the country for four days, and the four run lead is gone. On the bright side, I’m back! So they can get back to winning.

Going against Clevinger and Bieber is tough. Looks much better against Plutko and Civale. It really hurts to have Cruz and Buxton our fir this series. Let’s hope for at least a split over today and tomorrow, maybe even two. The was a tough week with seven games against the Braves and Indians. 1-6 would be bad. 2-5 would be unsurprising, 3-4 would be fine.
  • Madisonsdad likes this

#29 spycake

spycake

• 16,556 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 09:45 AM

The Saturday starter, Plutko, looks like a good match for our Twins. Career 2.4 HR/9 -- 37 HR in only 139.2 innings.

#30 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• 4,502 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 10 August 2019 - 09:57 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing Dobnak start a game. At every level he has adapted and figured out how to win. This is the highest level. Maybe he'll adapt here, too. 

• Madisonsdad, mikelink45 and AceWrigley like this
The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#31 Thebigalguy

Thebigalguy

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 53 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 09:58 AM

It's a brand new season. Losing four in a row for the first time should wake them up. I agree that Buxton needs either to learn how to avoid too much risk or to be outfitted with padding and a helmet. We need him. The only good news is that Rogers and Romo are rested (thanks for the chart). Right now Cleveland has the arms and the bats. That was us the first half of the season. No way to win often if the bats need to produce double-digit runs every game. We need quality starts. If an opener can help, let's do it. May? Duffey? It could also backfire. Like many of you, I wish we'd done more at the trading deadline, but clearly Falvine didn't want to mortgage the future despite the year the Twins are having. It's a brand new season. We're 0-0 with 74 wins as far as the division race is concerned. Let's do it.

• bighat likes this

#32 TwinsCD

TwinsCD

• 1,298 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 10 August 2019 - 10:22 AM

Random thoughts...

--Given the pitching matchups, I had a bad feeling that the Indians would win the first two games.Matchups are reversed with Odorizzi and Berrios going this weekend.Have to take advantage of those two guys and get that 2-game lead back.

--It's great that they're hitting all these home runs but the lack of situational hitting and the ability to string together an inning continues to bite these guys.They could have stolen Thursday's game with one timely hit and last nite, it seemed like everybody wanted to hit a 5-run home run to get them back in it.When you get to the postseason, you're not going to see crap starters so the Rosarios and Crons and Sanos of the world need to be finding singles and doubles as much as they are hunting homers.

--Walks have crushed the starters during this 4-game losing streak.When you're dealing with higher-caliber hitters from teams like the Braves and Indians, the amount of nibbling increases and the amount of wayward swings decreases.Control and aggressive pitching have to return.

--No time for negativity yet.Yeah, it sucks to have lost an 11 1/2-game lead but it's not like the Twins played sub-500 ball to cause that.It took Cleveland going 41-16 since that point to catch them.26 of the last 46 come against the soft underbelly of the AL Central, the same three teams that Cleveland used to get back into the race.It would be nice to have the full complement of hitters in the lineup for the rest of the season but what is in the batting order now is more than adequate.Comes down to the pitching staff and Rocco's ability to maneuver through it, which I don't think he's found a grasp of yet.

• Platoon likes this

#33 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,427 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 10:37 AM

Am confident the Twins will win tonight and tomorrow to end up with a split...the hard way.

Smeltzer has looked good in several appearances, NOT against Cleveland.Looks like he has to have nearly perfect command.Will see if he makes it long-term.

Don't know what to think about Dobnak, other than I was impressed.Watching him last night, kept thinking he reminds me of some pitcher from the past, someone who was very good.Can't remember if it was some Twin over the past 30 years, a Brave from back in the 50's or 60's, or a Brewer after they came to Milwaukee.Kind of a bulldog, both in stature and how he seems to pitch.

Hopefully, Dobnak will get a start 5 games from now and we will see how he does.

OK, they got the first of two home run records.Now lets get back on the winning track!!!

#34 spycake

spycake

• 16,556 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 10:38 AM

--No time for negativity yet. Yeah, it sucks to have lost an 11 1/2-game lead but it's not like the Twins played sub-500 ball to cause that. It took Cleveland going 41-16 since that point to catch them. 26 of the last 46 come against the soft underbelly of the AL Central, the same three teams that Cleveland used to get back into the race.

Actually, by my count, the Twins have been below .500 since June 2nd vs. non-awful teams, 13-18. While Cleveland has been 18-10 vs non-awful teams. That difference is over half of the 11.5 game swing in the standings. (And the other almost-half could be characterized either as Cleveland beating up on awful teams at 23-6, or as the Twins underperforming vs awful teams at 17-10.)
  • h2oface likes this

#35 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 21,998 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 10 August 2019 - 10:39 AM

Hats off to Cleveland

It took the best record in baseball since June to catch us. This isn't a statement against the Twins... It's a credit statement to Cleveland. 

The Indians and Twins are going to be fighting and clawing at each other the rest of the way. 

Both teams have earned the right to fight and claw at each other.  

• wsnydes and AceWrigley like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#36 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,738 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 11:41 AM

Hats off to Cleveland

It took the best record in baseball since June to catch us. This isn't a statement against the Twins... It's a credit statement to Cleveland.

The Indians and Twins are going to be fighting and clawing at each other the rest of the way.

Both teams have earned the right to fight and claw at each other.

I'd say it's both.
I don't think anyone can argue that the Twins have played their best baseball since early June.
It wouldn't have mattered if Cleveland hadn't also been red hot, but both are contributing factors.
  • h2oface and wsnydes like this

#37 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 21,998 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 10 August 2019 - 12:28 PM

I'd say it's both.
I don't think anyone can argue that the Twins have played their best baseball since early June.
It wouldn't have mattered if Cleveland hadn't also been red hot, but both are contributing factors.

Sure but the Twins didn't fall off the face of the earth to allow the Indians to catch us... The Indians had to leave earth to do it. 

I didn't expect the Twins to hold their April-May pace and they didn't. 

I don't expect the Indians to hold their June-July pace. It will be a dog fight from here on out. 

You are right, when two teams are tied at the top of the standings it is always a combination of both clubs that tells the story. 

However, if a team has the best record in baseball for a 2 month stretch. You'd expect them to be leading the division. The Indians are tied. Hats off to both clubs and the Twins are a major reason the Indians are only tied. . 

Bottom Line... The Twins didn't completely fall apart... The Indians had to play incredible baseball to get here. 

• AceWrigley likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#38 ND-Fan

ND-Fan

• 220 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 12:42 PM

Fortunes have turned for MN where we were healthy team the first half of the season and now were injured team and Cleveland is getting healthier as the season wheres on. Its going to be difficult to win if we don't get some people back in next week or so. Buxton missing changes MN defense so much and worsens the pitching without him catching baseball. Cruz missing means were going to see drop off in hitting because they can pitch around players now and don't have to worry about Cruz bat following. Also i think were seeing players playing a hurt so its effecting there level of play. Rosario seems to be different but you can see it eye test, Kepler i got to believe is playing with some injuries and still performing above average, and i wonder about Polonco whats going on he sure has been in slump not hitting for power he was at the begining of the season. Also what's going on with astudillo he's been DL for ever they could use him now.

#39 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• 685 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 02:13 PM

Give Francona credit.He skippered a MASH unit into first place. I had said the Twins shoulda fired Gardy a year sooner and we could have signed Tito. He, more than any other reason, is why Cleveland is so tough to beat. 

Hats off to him.  

• jokin and mikelink45 like this

#40 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,450 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 02:17 PM

The Indians have a better starting rotation. They have a better bullpen. Their best position players are better and more experienced in a pennant race than the Twins best position players. The Indians made bold moves at the trade deadline.

It should be a good battle to the end.
  • Sconnie and Platoon like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: randy dobnak, jason castro, eddie rosario, devin smeltzer