Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Cruz to IL

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 6,106 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 02:38 PM

I'm gonna guess there's some medical issue with Garver. That makes the most sense to me.

And yet somehow, two full time beat reporters and a half dozen columnists haven’t been able to find out? That’s either poor reporting or Garver isn’t hurt at all. He certainly hasn’t acted like he’s ailing when he has played.
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#22 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 02:44 PM

I hate to say it but this feels like we got here with smoke and mirrors now. Although this team is comprised totally differently it appears to be on the same trajectory as the 2001 club.

#23 jaimedude2

jaimedude2

• Members
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 02:46 PM

Twins are fooked. Cruz was the only one in the offense besides Sano and Kepler that were driving in any runs. The rest of the lineup is starting to look like last years roster. Team seems like they were blessed with good health earlier in the season and now an abundance of bad health. I do not like our chances to keep Cleveland at bay the rest of the season. Not so sure this team will even be a Wild card team when it is all said and done. This team is a lot closer to collapsing than the front office seems to realize.

• rkevin likes this

#24 jaimedude2

jaimedude2

• Members
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 02:52 PM

Stashak hasn't really done anything to deserve a chance to return at the major league level. This must be the guy the AAA staff and the minor league coordinator Antony recommended though. At a time when this team desperately needs both starting pitching to stabilize and the offense to start to come to life we are starting to see this Twins team really flounder. Remember this even the MLB network was saying where are the Twins on MLB trade deadline day. This is more than bad fortune and injury's there is a fundamental flaw with the way this Twins team is playing baseball right now. It is called too many walks, and to much lack of plate discipline for the Twins hitters. Cruz was one of the few professional make the pitcher work threats this lineup had. I fear this team is about to flame out badly. I hope I am wrong but the future does not look bright.

• bighat and rkevin like this

#25 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 6,106 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 03:06 PM

Stashak hasn't really done anything to deserve a chance to return at the major league level. This must be the guy the AAA staff and the minor league coordinator Antony recommended though. At a time when this team desperately needs both starting pitching to stabilize and the offense to start to come to life we are starting to see this Twins team really flounder. Remember this even the MLB network was saying where are the Twins on MLB trade deadline day. This is more than bad fortune and injury's there is a fundamental flaw with the way this Twins team is playing baseball right now. It is called too many walks, and to much lack of plate discipline for the Twins hitters. Cruz was one of the few professional make the pitcher work threats this lineup had. I fear this team is about to flame out badly. I hope I am wrong but the future does not look bright.

The list of alternative options is neither long nor distinguished. Unlike...

...well, you know.

#26 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,831 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 03:06 PM

OK, I'm really angry at the FO for not doing anything at the deadline but let's all calm down a bit. This is still a playoff team and still very likely to win the Central. This offense, even without Cruz and Buxton, is very good. 

• brvama and LA VIkes Fan like this

#27 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 7,642 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 03:10 PM

He has 9 K's and 0 BB's in 7 innings. How on earth is that not deserving more chances?
  • darin617 and Sconnie like this

#28 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 6,106 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 03:10 PM

OK, I'm really angry at the FO for not doing anything at the deadline but let's all calm down a bit. This is still a playoff team and still very likely to win the Central. This offense, even without Cruz and Buxton, is very good.

I don’t think the Twins are at all likely to win the Central and I put their playoff odds at 50-50. Bad pitching, bad defense and the guys that are hitting well aren’t playing (Cruz, Garver). The so-called easy schedule is going to be filled with young kids with nothing to lose who would like nothing better than to impact the playoffs by knocking a contender out.
  • ashbury and rkevin like this

#29 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 03:11 PM

Unless he's hurt, of course. But we've heard no such thing....

It'd be the least surprising thing in the world if he went on the DL after missing another game or two. Is there a more "Twins," move than that?

#30 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 7,642 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 03:14 PM

I don’t think the Twins are at all likely to win the Central and I put their playoff odds at 50-50. Bad pitching, bad defense and the guys that are hitting well aren’t playing (Cruz, Garver). The so-called easy schedule is going to be filled with young kids with nothing to lose who would like nothing better than to impact the playoffs by knocking a contender out.

I'd be willing to bet a pretty substantial amount of money on those odds, if you're a betting man.
In fact, I'll sweeten the deal, I won't even hold you to even money at making the postseason, I'll take 2:3 odds.

#31 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,831 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 03:17 PM

I think fangraphs has us as 97% to make playoffs and 67% to win the central. That sounds about right.

It's not like other teams don't have issues, too. 162 games, teams go through ups and downs. We're good. We won't win the WS this year (next year!) but we'll make the playoffs and lose to the Yankees again.

• Sconnie likes this

#32 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 16,347 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 05:30 PM

Update:

https://www.mlbtrade...-10-day-il.html

5:25pm: Cruz has been diagnosed with a ruptured ECU tendon, as MLB.com’s Do-Hyoung Park was among those to cover (links to Twitter). While that sounds like it’d be a bad thing, it may actually not be much of a problem. It’s an injury that others have played through before and Cruz says he isn’t experiencing pain at the moment.

“It’s a miracle that it feels like that,” says Cruz. “I don’t have any pain, so maybe that’s what I needed. Just tear that tendon and we’re good.”

• gunnarthor likes this

#33 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Twins Mods
  • 10,874 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 05:38 PM

Update:

https://www.mlbtrade...-10-day-il.html

5:25pm: Cruz has been diagnosed with a ruptured ECU tendon, as MLB.com’s Do-Hyoung Park was among those to cover (links to Twitter). While that sounds like it’d be a bad thing, it may actually not be much of a problem. It’s an injury that others have played through before and Cruz says he isn’t experiencing pain at the moment.

“It’s a miracle that it feels like that,” says Cruz. “I don’t have any pain, so maybe that’s what I needed. Just tear that tendon and we’re good.”

Maybe Park could enlighten us. My first google search of "MLB ECU tendon" produced less-than-happy results

To be continued I guess

• glunn likes this

#34 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 4,404 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 05:47 PM

Garver has taken several fouls to the mask recently including two in the same at bat in his last start.
  • ashbury and glunn like this

#35 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,050 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 05:50 PM

Garver has taken several fouls to the mask recently including two in the same at bat in his last start.

If only the DH was hurt, and we had a SS playing first, badly.....

Why has he played half the games?

I'll keep saying it, Garver should be the first baseman.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#36 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Twins Mods
  • 10,874 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 06:03 PM

Or DH to replace Cruz. There's something of a learning curve at first, Cron is fine there, and Garver has never played infield.

We need to find out what's going on with Astudillo or the front office will need to find a MLB-ready catcher, stat.

Edited by Hosken Bombo Disco, 09 August 2019 - 06:04 PM.

#37 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 4,404 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 06:05 PM

Not sure why you quoted me here. I am just adding a thought why he might have been out of the line up the last two days. Did you see those shots he took center mask in that game?

He has taken a beating and based on the eye test of watching his at bats the last few weeks I think he it is effecting his whole game. As for DH, I am in. DFA someone. Bring up Telis. Play Garver at DH until Cruz returns and then 1B.

#38 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 6,106 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:23 PM

Or DH to replace Cruz. There's something of a learning curve at first, Cron is fine there, and Garver has never played infield.

We need to find out what's going on with Astudillo or the front office will need to find a MLB-ready catcher, stat.

Garver has played a handful at first at the MLB level and 40 games there in the minors. Enough that he knows what he’s doing. He has more experience there than Adrianza and quite a bit more than Adrianza had coming into 2019.
  • ashbury likes this

#39 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,801 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:47 PM

Garver has a stone glove. Absolute concrete. The over/under on balls hitting his glove and not sticking when he catches is 3.5, IMO. I'd put it at 1.5 at first base.

The last thing this team needs is to make the infield defense even worse.

DH, sure. 

• SwainZag likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#40 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Twins Mods
  • 10,874 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:52 PM

Garver has played a handful at first at the MLB level and 40 games there in the minors. Enough that he knows what he’s doing. He has more experience there than Adrianza and quite a bit more than Adrianza had coming into 2019.

I stand corrected. Garver has a handful of innings at first.

Maybe there is something with Garver the team is trying to keep quiet. Who knows.

I might play Garver at 1B in an emergency to get his bat in the lineup—assuming he is healthy and able to hit—but there’s no reason not to play Cron at first and Garver at DH.