Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Game Recap (8/8): Gibson Struggles, Late-Inning Rallies Fall Short

kyle gibson eddie rosario luis arraez marwin gonzalez
  • Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#21 In My La-Z-boy

In My La-Z-boy

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 104 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:01 AM

I couldn't sleep, so I quick whipped together some speculation on what might happen if Nelson Cruz is forced to the IL.

Agree with the boring move of the 13th pitcher for now. Best stretch of offense was back in the late spring when Cruz was out. We have multiple options at DH. Won't happen now, but I look for Graterol soon if he keeps throwing like this. Good on Falvey for trying anyone and everyone. Balazovic can come up right behind him as far as I'm concerned. We have starting pitching problems and we need to solve that one quick. 

• Jerr and Tom Froemming like this

#22 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• 1,040 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:20 AM

Done with Gibson. He's not a gamer. As loosely stated above, he never delivers when it really matters. I suppose one could argue that all the games are either worth one win or one loss, but there are times when the tone needs to be set or the team needs a pickup. Gibson never delivers in those situations. Don't even think about QO. Just let him walk and he can go disappoint a different fanbase.
  • EPEZRider likes this

#23 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 646 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:24 AM

Yesterday was Thursday, August 8.It was the 115th game of the year putting the Twins 71% of the way through the season.The Twins hit 0 home runs giving them a total of 224 home runs for the season and on a pace to hit 316 home runs this season.The 2019 Twins rank 2nd on the all-time list of Twins' home runs in one season.They are now only 2 home runs away from becoming the Twins single-season record holder and are only 43 home runs behind the single-season MLB record.The next Twins team to pass is the 1963 team that hit 225 home runs.

• glunn and Jerr like this

#24 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,513 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:26 AM

You beat me to this.Two games he has left his starting pitcher in to "get innings" only to have them put the game out of reach.Both times the bats came alive to provide enough runs if the starter hadn't given up an avalanche.This is playoff baseball - Atlanta, Cleveland - are the types of teams we will see in the post season and we are showing how weak our starting pitchers are.I know it was a rare horrible start for Berrios, but Perez and now Gibson deserve no leash.I would rather see Thorpe or Graterol take those starts. 

I know Rosario had a chance to be a hero and we have seen him come through in those spots as well as flailing.I cannot fault him, we should not have been in such desperate straits. 

I do want to continue to praise Arraez.Someone asked if Carew could teach Rosario patience at the plate - all he has to do is watch Luis.

Saw in today's Strib that Gibson was 'under the weather last night.'If that is correct, not feeling 100% could be a reason he wasn't at his best.Not a good game for it to happen, but ….. happens.

• glunn likes this

#25 Number3

Number3

Ft Myers Miracle

• 390 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:38 AM

A shame to score 7, 7, and 5 runs and lose all 3 games. The concern over the bull pen has now gone full circle as the bull pen has been rendered irrelevant until starters get their act (back) together. Hopefully Smeltzer can show that last start was not a fluke. Now need to win 2 of 3 or Twins will find themselves out of first place for the first time in 2019. Twins do have an easier schedule after the Indians as Cleveland plays Yankees, Mets and Red Sox next. Rest of August will be very interesting.

• glunn, Jerr and bighat like this

#26 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 646 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:41 AM

Maybe Rocco should make the Twins' hitters show up at Target Field a couple hours early since lately they don't appear to be in the game until the late innings.
  • SwainZag likes this

#27 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 9,913 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:51 AM

Surprising to see the big WAR differences for Gibson on b-r and fangraphs. Honestly not sure which I favor.

#28 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,538 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:03 AM

I think part of the reason Baldelli has left his starters in too long of late is because he knows how bad his bullpen is.

It turned out not to be the deciding run, but I don’t understand using May in the 9th - and said so last night. What are you saving Rogers, Duffey and Romo for? There’s no longer going to be a save.

#29 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Ft Myers Miracle

• 421 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:12 AM

Just can't walk so many guys. That is where the game was lost. Just come out and give us even a marginal performance in these last 3 games and we are sitting pretty right now. 

• Jerr likes this

#30 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Ft Myers Miracle

• 421 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:13 AM

I think part of the reason Baldelli has left his starters in too long of late is because he knows how bad his bullpen is.

It turned out not to be the deciding run, but I don’t understand using May in the 9th - and said so last night. What are you saving Rogers, Duffey and Romo for? There’s no longer going to be a save.

Duffey?

I don't think so. He isn't any more trustworthy than the worst guys out there. If I'm Rocco I go to the FO and tell them I want these young fireballers up here. I also go to Romo and Rogers and tell them to eat their wheaties because we have to lean on you heavy. 

Bottom line either way. Our starters have to at least keep you in games. I mean give up 4 runs over 6 innings and we have a chance with this team. Lately, they haven't even been able to do that. 

• birddog likes this

#31 gocgo

gocgo

• 1,606 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:17 AM

https://www.mlb.com/...ining-schedules

Twins have the easiest remaining schedule.We just need to breath, get healthy, and play ball like we all know this team can.

• glunn likes this

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.

#32 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,538 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:35 AM

Duffey?

I don't think so. He isn't any more trustworthy than the worst guys out there. If I'm Rocco I go to the FO and tell them I want these young fireballers up here. I also go to Romo and Rogers and tell them to eat their wheaties because we have to lean on you heavy.

Bottom line either way. Our starters have to at least keep you in games. I mean give up 4 runs over 6 innings and we have a chance with this team. Lately, they haven't even been able to do that.

Duffey’s most recent outing was the first time he allowed an inherited runner to score all year. Mainly because he has the highest swing and miss rate in the pen and the highest swing percentage of pitches outside the zone. No one is saying he’s Mariano Rivera, but he is easily the best RH reliever the Twins have.

#33 spycake

spycake

• 16,973 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:35 AM

Surprising to see the big WAR differences for Gibson on b-r and fangraphs. Honestly not sure which I favor.

Yeah, Gibson's ERA (4.24) and FIP (4.08) are pretty close, but his RA9 (ERA including unearned runs) is 4.95. That's one of the higher marks on the staff. Plus, contrary to what FIP suggests, B-Ref credits the Twins with slightly above-average defense, and a slight pitcher's park factor too.

According to B-Ref, an average pitcher with the same defense/parks/opponents as Gibson would only allow 4.82 RA9. So they think he's a little below average, hence 1.0 bWAR in 23 starts.

Fangraphs doesn't have as nice of a breakdown as B-Ref, but presumably they are basing Gibson's 2.5 fWAR on his 4.08 FIP which is indeed better than the AL SP average FIP of 4.66.

• gunnarthor likes this

#34 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• 471 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:38 AM

Can't have starting pitching performances like the Twins have had the past 3 games and expect to make the playoffs or be a true contender during the playoffs.

• Battle ur tail off likes this

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#35 spycake

spycake

• 16,973 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:41 AM

Twins have the easiest remaining schedule.We just need to breath, get healthy, and play ball like we all know this team can.

Yup. 13 straight games with the White Sox and Tigers later this month, then another 13 straight with the those two clubs and the Royals to finish out the season, for 26 total.

Cleveland only has 16 games left with those clubs.

#36 HawksNest

HawksNest

Ft Myers Miracle

• 313 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:43 AM

They've blown an 11.5 game lead

Is the team legit? Yeah I think the lineup most definitely is.Or is it a .500 team that played way over its head the first 1.5 months of the season?

I don't know...the last 45 games are going to reveal a lot. All I know is that this team had an 11.5 game lead in early June and are now on the verge of a historic collapse of epic proportions.

Hope they can figure it out.

Edited by HawksNest, 09 August 2019 - 08:46 AM.

• rkevin likes this

#37 Ole St Carleton

Ole St Carleton

Elizabethton Twins

• 4 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:43 AM

The "Not Ready for Prime Time Players"

Starting pitching- awful- too scared to attack

Relief pitching- just as awful, if not more

Defense- sloppy

Base Running- poorly educated and executed

Offense- fantastic

1 out of 5 ain't good

I just wish the Twins would finally give up on the "blind squirrels": Gibson, May, Duffy. How many more years do we have to endure their ineptitude??

Let's the (young) kids play! The minor league pitchers can hardly be any worse than most of what we now have.

#38 spycake

spycake

• 16,973 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:45 AM

Can't have starting pitching performances like the Twins have had the past 3 games and expect to make the playoffs or be a true contender during the playoffs.

Well, at least that should eliminate the Yankees too. :)

• Riverbrian likes this

#39 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 9,913 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:47 AM

This team really needs Buxton back. He just makes the team better by a lot. 

Pitching is going to kill us in the playoffs but we'll make the playoffs. 

#40 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,861 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 09:03 AM

I suggest people might want to check the pitching leaderboards, sort by ERA or whatever stat you want....Gibson is an above average pitcher this year. Pitching in this era is ridiculously difficult.

That said, not good last night. But all these comments about his personality and his overall quality are kind of wrong....
  • gunnarthor, Riverbrian and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kyle gibson, eddie rosario, luis arraez, marwin gonzalez