Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Series Preview: A Series That Could Hurt For Either Team

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,831 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 02:51 PM

I honestly think we'll take 3 out of 4 or sweep them. I wish Buxton was healthy for this series but this group has always played Cleveland well and these players have a little edge to them (I wish ownership and the FO would step up but that's a different thread). I think this is the type of series where Rosie goes off and hits 3 dingers and hits .500 for four days. Always worried about the pen and Lindor is my favorite non-Twin in a long time but we're simply a better team. By a lot. I think the players prove it this weekend.

• nicksaviking likes this

#22 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 14,630 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 02:52 PM

Smeltzer outdueling Bieber Friday night would be the equivalent of Arraez's pinch-hit walk and I am absolutely ready for it.

Not a great matchup, but I like how the rotation played out for the Twins, this is probably how I'd draw it up if I got to choose. If we were going to "concede" one matchup, I'd put up our sketchiest arm against their best. Gibson has been the Twins best pitcher lately, I'd trust him to battle Clevinger over the other pitchers. Odorizzi gets the only ordinary arm in their bullpen and Berrios gets to deal against the rookie.

#23 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 03:52 PM

Huge series. No it won't decide the division but a whooping put on one team or another could severely hurt the other's chances and put whichever into a tailspin. 

I will predict a split or the Twins win 3 of 4. I just think we are a better team. However, if our pitching doesn't show up. Like it was in the Braves series, this could go the wrong way fast. Pitch the damn ball guys. It's time for a few of them to step up, this offense has carried us all season. 

#24 Bomba2026

Bomba2026

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 04:34 PM

Hey someone said Smeltzer can't beat Beiber tomorrow...I think he can. The Twins will win all 4 games. Plenty of one liners from Major League to laugh at and Hey Cleveland, I just saw Jobu floating down the Mississippi.....with a bucket of KFC...Go Twins!

#25 Cooper Carlson

Cooper Carlson

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Twins Daily Contributor
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 05:17 PM

Matt predicts 3-1 in the Twins favor and, although he is never wrong, he will be wrong this time. No way this series doesn't end up as a 2-2 split.

#26 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Twins Mods
  • 10,874 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 05:58 PM

The Twins are the better team. Maybe Cleveland draws a split this series but I feel there’s a better chance than not that Twins will draw away here the next few weeks. The Twins pitching does concern me, however.

I actually expect Cleveland to keep emphasizing the small ball approach this series. They are surprisingly old school. Watch for Tito to spit tobacco, adjust his cup, and call for a lot of sac bunts, against a Twins team that scores in bunches. God I do not miss that “brand of baseball” :)

#27 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 6,106 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 06:04 PM

The Twins are the better team. Maybe Cleveland draws a split this series but I feel there’s a better chance than not that Twins will draw away here the next few weeks. The Twins pitching does concern me, however.

I actually expect Cleveland to keep emphasizing the small ball approach this series. They are surprisingly old school. Watch for Tito to spit tobacco, adjust his cup, and call for a lot of sac bunts, against a Twins team that scores in bunches. God I do not miss that “brand of baseball” :)

That just means he’s smart enough to manage the team he has. He has a couple more power bats now.

#28 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 21,854 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:10 PM

The Indians are in it now and so are the Twins. This series is obviously important because it's head to head but no matter what happens during this 4-gamer... The Indians will be in it and so will the Twins. There is plenty of baseball to be played. 

Now... Back on June 4th... The Twins were 40-18 and Cleveland was 29-30. The Twins held a 11.5 game lead. I said at the time that this was an important series

If the Twins could have swept the Indians and knocked them down to 14.5 back... I felt they could have talked them into selling at the deadline. 

As it turned out... the Indians took two out of three and have gone 39-16 and the Twins have gone 30-26. 

I think that was the moment.

Now... We are going to have lots of moments. This thing will have to be won on the field. 

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#29 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 3,309 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:41 PM

You gotta approach this series like it is the playoffs. If it means multiple pitchers in an inning, you do it. You DON'T allow your team to get into too deep a hole. You have Monday off, so everyone goes for broke. You push the boundaries. Mix in a little small ball if the players are capable. But always have your best at every position.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#30 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Twins Mods
  • 10,874 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:29 PM

That just means he’s smart enough to manage the team he has. He has a couple more power bats now.

Francona has called for more sacrifice bunts in the past three days than I think the Twins have all season, and that’s maybe not an exaggeration. Again, bunting to advance runners is not the percentage play, even when it works. In most cases it’s been shown to be little more than giving away outs. Some of those outs would have been hits or walks and it’s bound to cost the team a few wins over the long haul.