Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: How Soon Could Top Prospect Brusdar Graterol Debut?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#41 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 7,642 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 04:10 PM

The plan isn’t working and they could have prevented all of this

Perhaps the plan isn't working.
But that's not what I was arguing.
Graterol wasn't the plan. Regardless of whether he ends up here or not, he wasn't the plan.

No matter the level of incompetence that some may level at the front office, they didn't go into the season with "Plan A" being a 20 year old who'd thrown all of 60 innings at high A.
Nor did they go into the deadline with "Plan A" being a 20 year old with all of 40 innings and a shoulder injury at AA.
  • SwainZag likes this

#42 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 7,642 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 04:12 PM

Which moves did you suggest, without the benefit of hindsight (specific players), that would have prevented this?
Was the awful this year, and now injured Kimbrel one of them?
  • Dantes929 likes this

#43 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,050 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 04:15 PM

How? None of the free agents signed in the off season by any clubs have been great. The guys in AAA to start the year have been hurt or bad. They traded for two of the top RPs traded for at the deadline.
  • Mike Frasier Law, SwainZag, LA VIkes Fan and 3 others like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#44 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 4,406 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 08 August 2019 - 06:44 PM

The point is that if we are calling up unproven prospects fromAA as our go to plan then someone screwed up both last winter and at the trade deadline. I hope Graterol is the next Nolan Ryan but it wouldn’t be Plan A for me

Since the Twins are thrashing around looking for something positive, might as well invite Graterol to the party. Who knows, if they keep playing musical chairs with talented prospects, maybe one or two will shine. We already know Smeltzer looks real, and Thorpe looks promising. If Graterol is a high prospect, maybe he will bust out with great stuff. I'd also like to see Duran and Balasovic get a shot before the regular season is through. As others have observed, a big heater should not be wasted in the minor leagues. 

• Mike Sixel likes this

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#45 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 6,106 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:03 PM

The answer to the OP is “not soon enough”.
  • Mike Sixel, Reider and rdehring like this

#46 FlauerPauer

FlauerPauer

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 731 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 09 August 2019 - 11:08 AM

3 k's in 1.2 innings last night.

Edit: I bet he gets 2-3 more outings to prove he's healthy and adjust to the role of coming out of the pen and he'll be up before the end of the month.

Edited by FlauerPauer, 09 August 2019 - 11:09 AM.

• rdehring likes this

#47 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 11:16 AM

The point is that if we are calling up unproven prospects fromAA as our go to plan then someone screwed up both last winter and at the trade deadline. I hope Graterol is the next Nolan Ryan but it wouldn’t be Plan A for me

I have no problem relying on guys that have talent that have thrived at the lower levels.Knoblach, Mauer, and countless other unproven prospects have been plan A and it worked out just fine. White, Herr and countless other proven veterans have tanked.Graterol being called up in September for relief was not my plan A. My plan A was for him to be called up as a starter in July.

• gbg likes this

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#48 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 11:30 AM

Graterol was injured this year. The Twins are more likely to shut him down than call him up.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#49 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 7,642 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 11:34 AM

Graterol was injured this year. The Twins are more likely to shut him down than call him up.

He's not injured now.
I don't follow your logic here. Why would they shut him down, just because he was previously injured, if he's healthy now?
  • SwainZag likes this

#50 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• Twins Mods
  • 23,704 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 09 August 2019 - 11:59 AM

So Rob Antony's out of the loop, and is purposely blowing a hole in his own career by bringing up the possibility in public comments?

So, in conclusion, what was your question again?

#51 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,542 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 August 2019 - 12:09 PM

So Rob Antony's out of the loop, and is purposely blowing a hole in his own career by bringing up the possibility in public comments?

I could be out of the loop because I forgot Antony was still on staff... Do we need to change the acronym to Falvintony?
  • ashbury, DocBauer and In My La-Z-boy like this

#52 Jham

Jham

• Members
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 12:27 PM

Graterol with 101 innings last year, 53 innings do far this year. They'd like to get him to 120 this year is think.

#53 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 3,309 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 01:07 PM

I feel worse about the minor league disabled list. We could use a slugging outfielder (or maybe a temporary DH) but both Brent Rooker and Luke Raley are on the disabled list...too long. And even top prospect Nick Gordon is on the Il. Last year Zach Granite was on the DL and Jake Cave made the most of the opportunity, thus causing Granite to go elsewhere. With LaMonte Wade also ailing, the Twins have no excess 40-man guys ready for the majors, at least until Willians ends his rebah.

I also feel for Trevor Hildenger, who should be working his butt off at Rochester insteda of putting time in on the IL. He may be passed and his days numbered. Not to mention Stephen Gonsalves, once the NEXT in-line for the rotation, who has an all-but-forgot season.

Tyler Wells looked to be back after lost time, but is nowhere to be found on the diamond. Hector Lujan was a surprise but also injured, along with Cole Sands.

And Akil Baddoo is losing a second season.

• Mike Frasier Law likes this

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#54 In My La-Z-boy

In My La-Z-boy

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 01:20 PM

Falvintony is pulling every rabbit out of every hat right now trying to find someone, anyone who can help. I find this refreshing. Old regime would never exhaust every arm between Mpls & Rochester like Falvintony. No reason to think he won't bring up Graterol. We have to add him to the 40 man this winter. Dobnak is a prime example of the new Falvintony way. I love it. A ball to the Twins in under a year. See what happens. Why not? Maybe just maybe we hit big on one of these kids. Smeltzer is exhibit A. Looking for an exhibit B. Falvintony's looking hard. Who's next.

• 70charger and LA VIkes Fan like this

#55 Jham

Jham

• Members
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 01:27 PM

Not to relive this but...

we said no. Astros said ok.

The player was Garret Cole.

Edited by Jham, 09 August 2019 - 01:28 PM.

#56 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 01:30 PM

In answer to your question, August 23 is the day I expect Graterol to arrive in the TC...or wherever they are playing on that date.

• In My La-Z-boy likes this

#57 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,050 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 01:36 PM

If true, awful. And not just in hindsight

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#58 Jham

Jham

• Members
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 01:59 PM

If true, awful. And not just in hindsight

http://twinsdaily.co...or-gerrit-cole/

#59 In My La-Z-boy

In My La-Z-boy

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 02:00 PM

We get a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for those 3 today. Unfortunately in Dec '17 we weren't what we are today - we never heard of Arraez - Jay was a top pick we still had hope for, and Granite was an exciting up and coming contact/speedster guy. Prospects are just that, prospects. Go get a stud starter is an easy decision for an Astros team coming off a title, with alot of young controlled starters, and still plenty of prospects. When we win it all this year, I expect we'll feel more comfortable trading away some good prospects this winter for stud starters too.

• AlwaysinModeration and Battle ur tail off like this

#60 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 16,347 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 02:09 PM

Graterol with 101 innings last year, 53 innings do far this year. They'd like to get him to 120 this year is think.

Graterol's not getting to 120 no matter what they do. By the time he got stretched out, the minor league season would almost be over.

And regardless of whether he gets to 120 or 80 or whatever, he's going to be on an innings limit next year. So you might as well use him for the best leverage you can.

• Jham likes this