Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Game Recap (8/7): Perez Struggles and Offense is too Late in Rubber Match

martin perez miguel sano kohl stewart marwin gonzalez jonathan schoop
  • Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 spycake

spycake

• 16,974 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:30 AM

By the way, can anyone tell me how you can have an on base % lower than your batting average? I've seen this before and don't understand how that's possible.

Sac flies count in the denominator of OBP, but not in AVG.

So Cave likely has a SF in that sample, but zero BB or HBP.
  • USAFChief and LA VIkes Fan like this

#42 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 1,744 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:35 AM

Perez needs to go to the BP. I'm betting that the results of Smeltzer's start on Friday, combined with when Pineda can come off the IL will tell the tale. I think Pineda last pitched on Thursday 8/1, so he would be eligible to come off the IL on 8/12. The next time Perez' spot comes up is Tuesday 8/13. Soooo, the Twins could pitch Pineda on 8/13, and then decide between Smeltzer and Perez for 8/15 in Texas with Smeltzer the pick if he pitches well Friday, assuming everyone gets the extra day from the 8/11 off day and Dobnak wasn't brought up to start. If that's the plan, I say wait until after Friday's game before doing anything with Perez. If Smeltzer pitches well or the BP is used after after the first 2 Cleveland games, IL Perez, leave Smeltzer in the rotation and call up someone from AAA to bolster the Pen. Alternatively, skip that spot since there's an off day and delay the decision for 2 Smeltzer starts if we don't need BP reinforcements right away.

Interestingly, Thorpe was optioned on 8/3 so he would be eligible to call up on 8/14 or after. Hmmmm.....this could work (?)

Edited by LA VIkes Fan, 08 August 2019 - 10:39 AM.

#43 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 1,744 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:37 AM

Sac flies count in the denominator of OBP, but not in AVG.

So Cave likely has a SF in that sample, but zero BB or HBP.

Ahhh, that makes sense. He did have a Sac Fly and no BBs in the last 7 games. That explains it. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: martin perez, miguel sano, kohl stewart, marwin gonzalez, jonathan schoop