Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Game Recap (8/7): Perez Struggles and Offense is too Late in Rubber Match

martin perez miguel sano kohl stewart marwin gonzalez jonathan schoop
  • Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,521 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 04:59 PM

I would not consider Stashak and Stewart's performance as giving Twins quality innings.

At least they were innings none of the key guys had to pitch.
  • Otwins, adorduan, puckstopper1 and 4 others like this

#22 jz7233

jz7233

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 621 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 05:04 PM

Well, Perez was my “pick to click” for the last couple months. His last few starts weren’t horrible, until today. The team can decide if it’s time to move him to the bullpen once Pineda returns and all five are healthy, unless they want to skip his start next week and use Smeltzer in Texas.

No, he’s not being DFA’d.

I think he should be sent to IL.

#23 rkevin

rkevin

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 67 posts
  • LocationTwin Cities

Posted 07 August 2019 - 05:05 PM

I don't agree at all. That exactly why Stewart was on the roster. Same with yesterday. I don't know what people want him to do when the starter is awful.

I think Rocco should become Manager\Player and then, when needed, he can toss a few innings for the team. Maybe even pinch-hit once in awhile. That would be great fun. Besides, novelties are a good sell at MLB ballparks.

#24 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,623 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 05:10 PM

The pitching is very concerning right now. The offense scored more than enough to win or even sweep that series. Really discouraging considering the offenses we’ll potentially face in the playoffs.

The up coming Cleveland series could be disasterous. If we continue to pitch like this we’ll be 2 games back at the end of this series.
  • mikelink45 and bighat like this

#25 Eephus

Eephus

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 111 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 05:14 PM

Curious what the Twins record is since the All-Star break against teams with a winning record?

#26 spycake

spycake

• 16,750 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 05:21 PM

Curious what the Twins record is since the All-Star break against teams with a winning record?

Over .500 as of now: 6-9
  • Eephus likes this

#27 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,189 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 07 August 2019 - 05:24 PM

Based on this series, this isn't a team that's ready to contend in the post season. At least not right now.

As far as treating them like throwaways, I was glad to see Rocco leave the starters in to use up some innings rather than shred the bullpen.

Thank God it isn't based on this series then.:)

• glunn, flags, Original Whizzinator and 1 other like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#28 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,508 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:00 PM

I think he should be sent to IL.

yeah.... something is probably bothering him somewhere, at this point in the season.
  • Sconnie likes this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#29 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 2,631 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:37 PM

Perez giving us six innings has no value when he gives away the game in those six innings.With all the call ups and send downs just replace a pitcher when he stinks whether Perez or Berrios.What are we waiting for?The season is on the line right now. 

• jz7233 likes this

#30 VivaBomboRivera!

VivaBomboRivera!

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 107 posts
  • Locationwest of Jingu, east of Koshien

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:40 PM

Bright note is that Jake Cave has had much better at bats in these last two games.Now has his average above .200.Is the International League hitting monster finally making his transition to pitchers in the Bigs?Couldn't happen at a better time...

• Mike Sixel, 70charger and LA VIkes Fan like this

#31 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,521 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:53 PM

yeah.... something is probably bothering him somewhere, at this point in the season.

Then something has been “bothering” him for 2 months and no one has said anything about it.

#32 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,464 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 07 August 2019 - 07:02 PM

I understand that the upcoming cleveland series is huge, but it seemed like Rocco treated the last two as if they were throw away games once they got behind.

Today they were down 4 runs with 3 runs left to play and yesterday it was 8-0 when Berrios left the game.What exaclty do you want Rocco to do?He can't burn the backend of the pen and just hope the offense comes to life.You need to pick your battles...and I think Rocco did fine the way both the offense and defense played today.

• birdwatcher, Danchat, Original Whizzinator and 2 others like this

#33 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 642 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 07 August 2019 - 08:18 PM

Today is Wednesday, August 7.It was the 114th game of the year putting the Twins 70% of the way through the season. The Twins hit 1 home run giving them a total of 224 home runs for the season and on a pace to hit 318 home runs this season.  The 2019 Twins rank 2nd on the all-time list of Twins' home runs in one season. They are now only 2 home runs away from becoming the Twins single-season record holder and are only 43 home runs behind the single-season MLB record.The next Twins team to pass is the 1963 team that hit 225 home runs.

I'm going out on a limb here and predicting that this year's Twins will be the single season record holder for the franchise by the end of the weekend.Pretty ballsy, eh???

• ashbury, glunn, birdwatcher and 3 others like this

#34 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,355 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 08:34 PM

Today is Wednesday, August 7.It was the 114th game of the year putting the Twins 70% of the way through the season. The Twins hit 1 home run giving them a total of 224 home runs for the season and on a pace to hit 318 home runs this season.  The 2019 Twins rank 2nd on the all-time list of Twins' home runs in one season. They are now only 2 home runs away from becoming the Twins single-season record holder and are only 43 home runs behind the single-season MLB record.The next Twins team to pass is the 1963 team that hit 225 home runs.

I'm going out on a limb here and predicting that this year's Twins will be the single season record holder for the franchise by the end of the weekend.Pretty ballsy, eh???

Yeah, well I’m picking by the end of the fourth inning tomorrow!
  • ashbury, glunn and EPEZRider like this

#35 jaimedude2

jaimedude2

• 1,373 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 09:33 PM

Eddie Rosario needs to start having better at bats, Jorge Polanco too. Both are pressing chasing a lot of sliders in dirt, and high and tight pitches. Walks are a good thing too, and we need both Polanco and Rosario on base more. I have given on School having meaningful at bats he is,in full pout mode chasing bad pitches. All three of these guys need better at bats this weekend.
  • cjj td likes this

#36 howeda7

howeda7

• 1,797 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:10 PM

If the Twins lose the division, the FO's failure to add a starter will be the reason. How good would Dallas Kuechel look about now?

Perez needs to be DFA'd or sent to the pen ASAP and Schoop needs to join him. 

#37 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,463 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 06:26 AM

One ugly game.

#38 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,865 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 06:51 AM

If the Twins lose the division, the FO's failure to add a starter will be the reason. How good would Dallas Kuechel look about now?

Perez needs to be DFA'd or sent to the pen ASAP and Schoop needs to join him.

Kuechel has a worse FIP, in the national league.
Of course he does have some better luck working right now, but I'm not sure I want my FO trying to predict which pitchers will get luckier on batted balls.

#39 70charger

70charger

• 4,399 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:05 AM

Lead about to drop to 2 games. Amazing after the high of monday’s win combined with the Indians loss that night. Last night was the matchup the twins needed to win. Today was never going to work with Perez pitching and kepler/arraez not in the lineup. What was our win probability before the game? 15%?

I agree that the lineup with Cave, Schoop, and Perez was unlikely to win, but oddly enough the Vegas line was only Atl -115.

We were the underdogs, but not by that much. I suppose that makes some sense, since we're never totally out of the game with the Bomba Squad.

#40 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 1,721 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:23 AM

Bright note is that Jake Cave has had much better at bats in these last two games.Now has his average above .200.Is the International League hitting monster finally making his transition to pitchers in the Bigs?Couldn't happen at a better time...

It will be interesting to see how Cave is used, if at all, against the Indians. Cleveland is pitching 4 RH starters and only have Hand the closer and Oliver Perez as LH bullpen options. Add into the mix that the other likely OF other than Kepler and Rosario is Marwin Gonzalez. Gonzalez has hit .222/.292/.333 (.625) over the last 30 games, .176/.288/.255 (.543) over the last 15 and .174/.208/.217 (.425) over the last 7. Compare that to Cave's .286/.267/.429 (.696) over the last 7 and .281/.351/.469 (.820) over the last 15. I could easily see Cave starting 3 of the 4 Cleveland games as the hotter hand unless they put Arraez in the OF so Schoop can play 2B.If the choice is one of the following 3 can start in each of the 4 games (and I think it is) - Gonzalez, Schoop or Cave - I think Cave gets at least 2 starts. 

By the way, can anyone tell me how you can have an on base % lower than your batting average? I've seen this before and don't understand how that's possible.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: martin perez, miguel sano, kohl stewart, marwin gonzalez, jonathan schoop