Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Jonathan Schoop Becoming the Odd Man Out

jonathan schoop ehire adrianza luis arraez brian dozier rocco baldelli
  • Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 LanceJS

LanceJS

Elizabethton Twins

• 8 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 07:09 AM

This is no surprise to me - all along I figured Schoop was just a temporary stop-gap until Lewis was ready - then the move would have been Lewis to SS and Polonco to 2B.Of course, the arrival of Arraez complicates that, but it still makes my original thought all the more valid - that this would be the only season that Schoop would wear a Twins uniform. 

• operation mindcrime likes this

#22 scottz

scottz

• 670 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 10:06 AM

Chemistry matters, even if you can't quantify it. Schoop won't be with the team next year, but he's here for the remainder of this year. I don't see a situation where they DFA him at a point less than 24 days before rosters expand (i.e., anytime between now and Sept 1). Maybe he doesn't end up on the postseason roster if everyone is healthy, but that's not nearly the same as just letting him go.

If they need another bullpen arm, they'll keep rotating the bullpen guys with options to and from Rochester.

• luckylager and kenbuddha like this

#23 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Ft Myers Miracle

• 385 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 10:07 AM

You don't even think of cutting Schoop loose or DFA'ing him.

#24 Minny505

Minny505

Elizabethton Twins

• 39 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 07 August 2019 - 10:13 AM

I'd still rather have Schoop on the roster than Cave, which is really what this discussion is about should the Twins want/need to add a 13th pitcher before September 1st.

Adrianza can fill in OF spots when needed, playing a similar level of defense as Cave (I haven't dug into Statcast regarding this statement, so correct me if I'm wrong). 

Schoop is an outlier in that he has rather pronounced reverse splits for his career. I'm not sure what to make of that other than he's basically performs like a LHB, making him a poor platoon candidate with Arraez.

• operation mindcrime likes this

#25 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,638 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 07 August 2019 - 10:37 AM

Schoop is good insurance if Arraez hits a wall. It's possible he becomes the odd man out entirely on the playoff roster if the Twins need more flexibility.

Overall he fit his role well this season for the team. He was signed as a placeholder until other options hit their way into the equation. Mission accomplished.

#26 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,398 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 10:47 AM

Schoop is good insurance if Arraez hits a wall. It's possible he becomes the odd man out entirely on the playoff roster if the Twins need more flexibility.

Overall he fit his role well this season for the team. He was signed as a placeholder until other options hit their way into the equation. Mission accomplished.

Assuming everyone else is healthy, I don’t think there is any chance Schoop makes the playoff roster. Which is another reason why I believe Rooker will get called up on Sep 1.

7 relievers SHOULD be plenty for postseason when there are never more than 3 days without a day off. So, 14 position players. That’s the “regular” 9, Marwin, Castro, Astudillo, Adrianza and then Cave, Schoop or someone else. IMO neither Cave or Schoop offer much value as a bench player. Rooker may not either, but I suspect the Twins will want to leave open that chance.

#27 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,549 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 10:56 AM

Schoop's lack of position flexibility certainly hurts his ability to contribute.But as far as bench bat, and insurance should Arraez flutter, he's a great asset. 

• Reider and Vanimal46 like this

#28 Bavarian

Bavarian

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 61 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:04 AM

FWIW Schoop played 3B in Baltimore.

#29 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,638 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:11 AM

FWIW Schoop played 3B in Baltimore.

Meh, it's not like he would play over Sano or Marwin at that position either.

#30 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,451 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:13 AM

Assuming everyone else is healthy, I don’t think there is any chance Schoop makes the playoff roster. Which is another reason why I believe Rooker will get called up on Sep 1.
7 relievers SHOULD be plenty for postseason when there are never more than 3 days without a day off. So, 14 position players. That’s the “regular” 9, Marwin, Castro, Astudillo, Adrianza and then Cave, Schoop or someone else. IMO neither Cave or Schoop offer much value as a bench player. Rooker may not either, but I suspect the Twins will want to leave open that chance.

I value Schoop’s performance against left handed pitching and his strong arm at 2B. I am platooning Arraez and Schoop at 2B.

#31 70charger

70charger

• 4,343 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:18 AM

I find his WPA interesting. He seems pretty anti-clutch.

#32 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,398 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:29 AM

I value Schoop’s performance against left handed pitching and his strong arm at 2B. I am platooning Arraez and Schoop at 2B.

Marwin is considerably better vs LHP. And when factoring in that a lot of Schoop’s numbers have been produced in very low leverage at bats, I don’t think it’s worth it. Not if Rooker shows ability to hit MLB pitching in September.

#33 Minfidel

Minfidel

• 46 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 05:55 PM

Earlier in the season there was talk about how long we'd have to carry Adrianza once Sano came back. Most seemed to think he didn't add much value, especially with La Tortuga available. Forget about who goes if another reliever is added - who goes if/when Astudillo is ready?

#34 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,418 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:01 PM

Earlier in the season there was talk about how long we'd have to carry Adrianza once Sano came back. Most seemed to think he didn't add much value, especially with La Tortuga available. Forget about who goes if another reliever is added - who goes if/when Astudillo is ready?

Astudillo.

#35 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,001 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:19 PM

May was a good month for him as he posted an .835 OPS with six home runs and five doubles. .622 in June and .787 in July.

So Basically, this provides no indication of how he will perform in August or September.:)

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#36 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,398 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:45 PM

So Basically, this provides no indication of how he will perform in August or September. :)

Somewhere between .622 and .835?

Edited by yarnivek1972, 07 August 2019 - 06:45 PM.

• Mike Sixel and Riverbrian like this

#37 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,001 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:55 PM

Somewhere between .622 and .835?

Or Higher?

Or Lower? 

• ashbury likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#38 highlander

highlander

• 230 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 01:08 AM

Riverbrian- too funny. I'm still chuckling.

#39 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,186 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 06:33 AM

Though my problem with Sano also had to do with plate approach more than numbers....

My eyes tell me that Sano's plate approach has improved the last month or so. Do the stats bare this out? 

#40 Bavarian

Bavarian

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 61 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 09:25 AM

@What's his OPS, that wasn't my point as this was in reference to someone claiming he could only play one position therefore his value diminished. 

I'm not calling for Schoop to replace Sano at the moment but he's certainly a valuable backup at either 2B or 3B. 

Edited by Bavarian, 09 August 2019 - 09:31 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jonathan schoop, ehire adrianza, luis arraez, brian dozier, rocco baldelli