Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Kevin Gausman released on waivers

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 9,839 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 06:42 PM

Reds nabbed him.

https://www.mlbtrade...ers-braves.html

I'm surprised but looks like the Reds are grabbing a lot of upside arms for next year as well. Gausman's season was brutal but he could be a reclamation project.

• Mike Frasier Law and Sconnie like this

#2 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,939 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 11:31 PM

Reds nabbed him.

https://www.mlbtrade...ers-braves.html

I'm surprised but looks like the Reds are grabbing a lot of upside arms for next year as well. Gausman's season was brutal but he could be a reclamation project.

This is the type of guy that the Twins should be ready to pounce on.

It looks the waiver casualty list is going to be a long one by August 31.

• Dman likes this

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#3 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,261 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 09:29 AM

Every bad team should have claimed him. Good luck to him....
  • gunnarthor, Mike Frasier Law, Sconnie and 2 others like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#4 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,718 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 09:54 AM

Based on NL records, it looks like only four teams passed on him, two of which, Pittsburgh and Miami, wouldn't spend a dime unless forced to.

I'd guess San Diego would have been interested if they weren't already struggling to find innings for seven starters under the age of 27.

Colorado? Yeah, they're always in need of pitching, they should have had some interest, though they're probably up against their budget considering they are a non-contender and have some big contracts on the books. Maybe they don't care for his repertoire though. He's not a strong groundball pitcher and he gave up the slider this year.

• gunnarthor and Only Here in Negative like this

#5 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,261 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 10:08 AM

I always forget that waivers are league dependent, which seems really stupid. As you point out, it's easy to see how he got where he did.
  • Danchat likes this

#6 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,249 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 06 August 2019 - 10:21 AM

Exactly. There is an opportunity cost with every reclamation project. Bad teams have little opportunity, therefore little cost. I would not like to see our team using up 25-man spots this year on gambles like Gausman.

• Mike Sixel and lukeduke1980 like this

It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. -- Arthur Conan Doyle

#7 redstorm

redstorm

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 97 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 10:22 AM

Quite the fall for Gausman, I remember when he was in play for the Twins in the 2012 draft before they ended up taking Buxton.

#8 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,718 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 10:37 AM

The Reds should have really good starting and relief pitching depth this offseason but will probably be looking to beef up the lineup, middle infield in particular. 

#9 Only Here in Negative

Only Here in Negative

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 94 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 10:48 AM

Interestingly he currently has more WAR (Baseball Reference) than Buxton. 10.0 to 9.8. Hopefully Buxton passes him in September!

For that 1st round, the Top-11 in WAR is as follows:

Correa (20.6)

Seager (15.9)

Stroman (13.5)

Addison Russell (12.4)

Hanniger (10.7)

Gausman (10.0)

Buxton (9.8)

Matt Olson (9.2)

Joey Gallo (8.2)

Stepehn Piscotty (7.8)

Berrio (7.6)

The Twins would definitely trade Buxton for Correa straight up but other than that, I don't see anyone on that list they'd trade him for. Only one might be Lucas Giolito (3.8)? Would you? He was bad last year but he's a 24 year old with great stuff and you control him until 2024.

For all of Buck's struggles to perform and stay healthy, he's still a pretty excellent pick.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#10 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• 457 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 10:55 AM

Dang! 

Gausman was scheduled to start against the Twins this series. 

I was hoping they be able to hang like 8 on him in 3 innings, but now they will have to do that against Foltynewicz who has also been brutal (although he did pitch well in his most recent stint in the minors - hopefully he has not figured something out that will allow him to shut down the Bomba Squad)

Edited by puckstopper1, 06 August 2019 - 10:55 AM.

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#11 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,261 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 11:04 AM

Interestingly he currently has more WAR (Baseball Reference) than Buxton. 10.0 to 9.8. Hopefully Buxton passes him in September!

Correa (20.6)

Seager (15.9)

Stroman (13.5)

Addison Russell (12.4)

Hanniger (10.7)

Gausman (10.0)

Buxton (9.8)

Matt Olson (9.2)

Joey Gallo (8.2)

Stepehn Piscotty (7.8)

Berrio (7.6)

The Twins would definitely trade Buxton for Correa straight up but other than that, I don't see anyone on that list they'd trade him for. Only one might be Lucas Giolito (3.8)? Would you? He was bad last year but he's a 24 year old with great stuff and you control him until 2024.

For all of Buck's struggles to perform and stay healthy, he's still a pretty excellent pick.

great post!

Giolito? Really depends on what the FO thinks of his turn around this year. But, I don't think I'd do it right now. 

• Only Here in Negative likes this

#12 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,707 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 11:08 AM

Based on NL records, it looks like only four teams passed on him, two of which, Pittsburgh and Miami, wouldn't spend a dime unless forced to.

I'd guess San Diego would have been interested if they weren't already struggling to find innings for seven starters under the age of 27.

Colorado? Yeah, they're always in need of pitching, they should have had some interest, though they're probably up against their budget considering they are a non-contender and have some big contracts on the books. Maybe they don't care for his repertoire though. He's not a strong groundball pitcher and he gave up the slider this year.

Waivers no longer go by league first.
  • spycake likes this

#13 JW24

JW24

• 146 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 11:26 AM

Correa (20.6)

Seager (15.9)

Stroman (13.5)

Addison Russell (12.4)

Hanniger (10.7)

Gausman (10.0)

Buxton (9.8)

Matt Olson (9.2)

Joey Gallo (8.2)

Stepehn Piscotty (7.8)

Berrio (7.6)

Do Jorge Polanco or Royce Lewis impact the Twins willingness to do a Buxton-for-Correa swap? I wouldn't want to give up Buxton for Correa at this point as Correa has had some injury issues of his own.

Giolito seems to be figuring out how to pitch at the big league level, but I still wouldn't trade Buxton for him either.

Great post, this is fun to discuss!

#14 Only Here in Negative

Only Here in Negative

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 94 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 11:50 AM

Do Jorge Polanco or Royce Lewis impact the Twins willingness to do a Buxton-for-Correa swap? I wouldn't want to give up Buxton for Correa at this point as Correa has had some injury issues of his own.

Giolito seems to be figuring out how to pitch at the big league level, but I still wouldn't trade Buxton for him either.

Great post, this is fun to discuss!

I think you have to look at it as value. If the Twins were able to get Correa, he has more value to the league than Buxton and they could flip him. Correa is a year younger, plays a more premium position, and has had more sustained success. He does hit free agency a year earlier but I still think that most teams, in a bubble, would take Correa over Buxton now.

I wouldn't do Giolito but I think its the only one I could see someone thinking is okay (besides Berrios of course!)

#15 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,261 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 11:50 AM

Interesting....because I didn't think they did, but then this was here, and of course the Internet has conflicting articles......

If they aren't league specific, I have no idea what Detroit is doing here....

#16 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,718 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 11:51 AM

Was that a change this year? Because it's always been a free for all prior to the All-Star break and then it went by league after.

#17 JW24

JW24

• 146 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 11:57 AM

I think you have to look at it as value. If the Twins were able to get Correa, he has more value to the league than Buxton and they could flip him. Correa is a year younger, plays a more premium position, and has had more sustained success. He does hit free agency a year earlier but I still think that most teams, in a bubble, would take Correa over Buxton now.

I wouldn't do Giolito but I think its the only one I could see someone thinking is okay (besides Berrios of course!)

I think if there was a draft, with every player available, Correa would be drafted before Buxton, so I agree with the notion Correa has more value within the league than Buxton.

Looking at the Twins current depth at SS within their organization, I think a Buxton-for-Correa trade would be a minor upgrade to SS and a major downgrade in CF for the Twins, which is why I, personally, would not do that deal.

#18 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,261 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 12:02 PM

Was that a change this year? Because it's always been a free for all prior to the All-Star break and then it went by league after.

WHICH ONE IS IT?

Either way, the worst teams should be getting guys like this, 100% of the time. If you are too cheap to sign a guy this late in the year, and try to fix him, sell your Q#$TW#R^SGQE$^ team.

#19 Tomj14

Tomj14

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 837 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 12:16 PM

I think if there was a draft, with every player available, Correa would be drafted before Buxton, so I agree with the notion Correa has more value within the league than Buxton.

Looking at the Twins current depth at SS within their organization, I think a Buxton-for-Correa trade would be a minor upgrade to SS and a major downgrade in CF for the Twins, which is why I, personally, would not do that deal.

Not a huge fan of what if, but what if the Twins had Correa instead of Buxton, Polanco would be at second, Kepler in Center and Cave in right. With Lewis, Arraz, Javier and Gordon in the wings.

Maybe the Twins trade Lewis, Graterol, Enlow and Celestino for Thor.

And since Cave is not playing good they rush Kirilloff or Larnach up for right field.

I like that team way better, now back to reality :)

#20 Only Here in Negative

Only Here in Negative

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 94 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 12:20 PM

But if you knew that you could then turn around and shop Correa/Polanco for CF help, do you think you'd get someone better than Buxton? Or maybe be able to move Correa for a better pitching prospect? I'd think so.

I love Buck but I'd trade him for Correa in a heartbeat. I'd also probably trade him for Berrios if Jose were with another team. Luckily he's not!