Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Game Recap (8/2): Cruz Powers Twins to Another Close Win Over the Royals

nelson cruz max kepler jorge polanco martin perez sergio romo
  • Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 adorduan

adorduan

• 708 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 05:36 AM

A win is a win, but this one wasn't very satisfying....

• D.C Twins and rdehring like this

#22 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• 968 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 06:25 AM

Problem is: Twins not playing well, not firing on all or even very many cylinders, especially in extra innings.

And, defense has been poor for a couple of months now, along with relief pitching, and against good teams, the starters don't even grade out well.

So, Twins are not playing well.Cleveland is.

Still got time to get back in the groove, but this is go time in MLB and the Twins are waiting at the busstop.

#23 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 560 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 06:52 AM

Doesn’t matter to me how they win. I’m just glad they pulled through.
  • brvama, Madisonsdad and 70charger like this

#24 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 651 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 03 August 2019 - 06:53 AM

Yesterday was Friday, August 2.It was the 109th game of the year putting the Twins 67% of the way through the season. The Twins hit 1 home run giving them a total of 211 home runs for the season and on a pace to hit 314 home runs this season.  The 2019 Twins rank 3rd on the all-time list of Twins' home runs in one season. They are now only 15 home runs away from becoming the Twins single-season record holder and are only 56 home runs behind the single-season MLB record.The next Twins team to pass is the 1964 team that hit 221 home runs.

• Jerr, twinssporto, Dozier's Glorious Hair and 1 other like this

#25 Dozier's Glorious Hair

Dozier's Glorious Hair

Ft Myers Miracle

• 264 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 07:05 AM

It's amazing the excuses that Dyson continues to get.
So they are supposed to just play shorthanded for a week while Dyson gets settled?

What's your alternative?

#26 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,515 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 07:31 AM

How long does Dyson get to use the trade as an excuse? Romo hasn’t been with the team that much longer and already has 3 effective outings. Sure, I think he’s throwing too many pitches out of the strike zone, but that is who he is.

Listened for the excuse Dyson used. Is it something Rocco said? I didn’t hear it. Is it something Dyson said after the game? I couldn’t find it.

Did you mean how long does a follower of the Twins keep getting to make excuses for Dyson? To me that question is very different. I don’t want Rocco or Dyson making excuses. I don’t care if someone not connected to the Twins does.

Edited by jorgenswest, 03 August 2019 - 07:32 AM.

• Jerr, brvama, Dantes929 and 2 others like this

#27 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Ft Myers Miracle

• 441 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 08:04 AM

Dyson stunk, again...but my concern is Perez. He was terrible last night.

• 70charger likes this

#28 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,894 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 08:11 AM

What's your alternative?

Accept that he hasn't gotten the job done, instead of trying to find a reason to blame someone else.
  • MNT1996 likes this

#29 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,548 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 08:15 AM

Will agree with Spicy above regarding Perez.Was hoping that Thorpe would step up and be a potential alternative down the stretch....not.

Tough game to watch.I almost flipped over to the Hallmark Channel, but I had already seen that Christmas movie.Have felt for some time that the Twins need a couple hitters to get hot, a couple pitchers to get into that shutdown mode and Buxton to stay healthy.Well, two out of three wouldn't be bad.  

#30 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Ft Myers Miracle

• 441 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 08:27 AM

Another thing to note - Dyson benefited greatly from some strike calls by Cowboy Joe that were clearly not in the strike zone.

#31 mickey

mickey

Elizabethton Twins

• 5 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 08:42 AM

Because Rocco made such a mistake using Dyson before he was ready, the smart move for the manager would be to step and publicly take the blame for that obvious blunder.  Then, he should allow the player to get his footing with his new team and teammates before asking politely, if he's ready to show his stuff. (it won't take long...a couple of days to learn the signs, learn the opponents and learn his way around the facility in order to get into a comfortable routine...that's all...) Instead, Rocco as much as blamed Dyson for not being ready, and then, after burning him in Miami, he threw him right back into the frying pan.  Dyson couldn't possibly have had an intelligent gameplan for Kansas City players he's never faced before.  He hasn't been getting ready for Kansas City for 10 games so far this season like the rest of the team.  He's coming off of a life-changing trade, 2 airplane flights, an embarrassing outing which was more like a practical joke than a legitimate appearance.  (all in less than 48 hours...) Who he's talking to and who's talking to him has all changed drastically.  Pitchers are creatures of habit and process. Their ability to pitch is a function of mechanical comfort. Much like golfers.  Whatever his normal procedure has been, he's not going through it now.  We need this guy, and to shock his system this way could easily have detrimental effects throughout the remainder of the season.  The Twins aren't desperate for his services.  Why not give him the same chance the Twins gave Romo, allow him to get comfortable and then, when he's ready, he'll shine.

• 3balls2strikes likes this

#32 Dozier's Glorious Hair

Dozier's Glorious Hair

Ft Myers Miracle

• 264 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 09:02 AM

Accept that he hasn't gotten the job done, instead of trying to find a reason to blame someone else.

I hardly think it's unreasonable to believe Baldelli may have been a little too bold in using Dyson in Miami, but I agree with you that it's ultimately on him that he hasn't gotten the job done. It's certainly on him to pull himself together. I'm still confident he will.

#33 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,894 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 09:08 AM

Because Rocco made such a mistake using Dyson before he was ready, the smart move for the manager would be to step and publicly take the blame for that obvious blunder. Then, he should allow the player to get his footing with his new team and teammates before asking politely, if he's ready to show his stuff. (it won't take long...a couple of days to learn the signs, learn the opponents and learn his way around the facility in order to get into a comfortable routine...that's all...) Instead, Rocco as much as blamed Dyson for not being ready, and then, after burning him in Miami, he threw him right back into the frying pan. Dyson couldn't possibly have had an intelligent gameplan for Kansas City players he's never faced before. He hasn't been getting ready for Kansas City for 10 games so far this season like the rest of the team. He's coming off of a life-changing trade, 2 airplane flights, an embarrassing outing which was more like a practical joke than a legitimate appearance. (all in less than 48 hours...) Who he's talking to and who's talking to him has all changed drastically. Pitchers are creatures of habit and process. Their ability to pitch is a function of mechanical comfort. Much like golfers. Whatever his normal procedure has been, he's not going through it now. We need this guy, and to shock his system this way could easily have detrimental effects throughout the remainder of the season. The Twins aren't desperate for his services. Why not give him the same chance the Twins gave Romo, allow him to get comfortable and then, when he's ready, he'll shine.

Has anyone else who was traded at the deadline appeared in a game yet?

You'd think Dyson is the most fragile person in the world, the way some speak of him.
Do you think Dyson would be appreciative of being treated like a baby in front of his brand new teammates?

I don't understand how sitting in a comfortable first class seat, watching a movie or listening to music for a couple hours is suddenly some devastatingly incapacitating thing that affects his ability to pitch.
You do realize that these guys take like 40 of these flights every season, right? How many off days should the team be given between series, since it's so difficult to play baseball within 48 hours of a flight?

The guy is a professional, grown adult. He is a good pitcher who hasn't gotten the job done in two appearances for us so far. That's all. It's not because he napped on a plane for a couple hours, or because he doesn't know his teammates.
  • ashbury and SwainZag like this

#34 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,894 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 09:11 AM

I hardly think it's unreasonable to believe Baldelli may have been a little too bold in using Dyson in Miami, but I agree with you that it's ultimately on him that he hasn't gotten the job done. It's certainly on him to pull himself together. I'm still confident he will.

Sure, the Miami game is a fair argument, even if I disagree.

Last night's game is 100% on him.
Since the moment he arrived at the ballpark on Thursday, he's had the exact same itinerary and routine as the rest of the team.
  • SwainZag and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

#35 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,199 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 09:16 AM

Problem is: Twins not playing well, not firing on all or even very many cylinders, especially in extra innings.

And, defense has been poor for a couple of months now, along with relief pitching, and against good teams, the starters don't even grade out well.

So, Twins are not playing well. Cleveland is.

Still got time to get back in the groove, but this is go time in MLB and the Twins are waiting at the busstop.

Not playing well = winning 6 of our last 8 and scoring 11 runs yesterday? I know we have some issues to iron out, but I think it’s safe to say the offense is firing on most cylinders.
  • 70charger, SwainZag, twinssporto and 2 others like this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#36 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,872 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 03 August 2019 - 09:20 AM

This current four-game losing streak has been hard on everyone's nerves. Hopefully the Twins figure out how to get back on track tonight.

• SwainZag, Hosken Bombo Disco, DocBauer and 2 others like this

I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.

#37 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,640 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 09:23 AM

Cruz is absolutely hammering the ball right now. He probably should’ve had another 3 HR night last night. He almost certainly does in a lot of ballparks.

Find me a hitter that’s more fun to watch than Nelson Cruz at his best. There aren’t many walking the planet that can hit lasers like that (his teammates Sano and Rosario when at their best could be in that conversation, actually).

He’s putting together one of the best individual offensive seasons in team history right now. He’s not far off of the best single season OPS, OPS+, etc in Twins history.

Edited by Darius, 03 August 2019 - 09:27 AM.

#38 D.C Twins

D.C Twins

Ft Myers Miracle

• 408 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 09:27 AM

Post trade deadline Twins Slogan contest!

1. "Expectation Management!"

2. "No Deficit....or Lead is too large!"

3. "Our third starter is better than Les Straker in 1987!"

• PDX Twin and 3balls2strikes like this

#39 mickeymental

mickeymental

• 1,380 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 09:58 AM

some of these posts are remindful of george costanza in the batting cage, schooling jeter and bernie williams on the finer points of hitting. they question his qualifications and mention that, after all, they won the last world series. to which george disdainfully responds, "yeah, in six games."

• 70charger, SwainZag and bighat like this

#40 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,061 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 03 August 2019 - 10:00 AM

Buxton and Cron. Please come back soon. It seems like we haven't had a full "A" team playing since opening day. It's August, we need you!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nelson cruz, max kepler, jorge polanco, martin perez, sergio romo