Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Game Recap (7/31): Berrios Throws Gem as Bombas Fly

mitch garver jose berrios max kepler eddie rosario sean poppen
  • Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,273 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 01 August 2019 - 05:33 AM

"Home Runs: Garver (20), Rosario (23), Kepler (29)"

If someone would have told me those would be their season HR totals at the beginning of the season it would have sounded pretty good.Still a lot of games to add to those totals!

It wasn't that long ago (2006) when Morneau crossed the 30 mark and was the first Twins planer in decades to do it... all of these guys and then some may cross that number this year. 

• birdwatcher likes this

#22 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,128 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 01 August 2019 - 05:34 AM

I don’t think it was necessary to pull Berríos, but this isn’t just about one player. There was an opportunity for a free look at Poppen,and a chance to give Cruz a pinch-hit at bat.

The circumstances, including the grand slam (first pitch?) required that Poppen face another hitter after the slam. The end result is that Berríos didn’t get a CG, Rogers got used on consecutive days and didn’t get a save. However, the team won and Rogers only threw about 10 pitches. Hopefully Dyson or Romo close out the win today and all is well after today’s game.
  • diehardtwinsfan, 70charger, wsnydes and 1 other like this

#23 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 2,844 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 01 August 2019 - 05:34 AM

I would guess the thought process is that they don't want him throwing innings than he absolutely needs to. The less wear and tear on his arm before the postseason, the better. It also gave the Twins another look at Poppen... and now we know he needs to be shipped to AAA.

I would have liked to seen him throwing a full game shutout too, but I understand it if Baldelli's doing this to keep Berrios maintained for October.

Yeah. And I'm totally fine with that.

Twins have won 5 of their last 6 games. Berrios looked great last night, and Rocco saved some wear and tear on his arm. Bringing in Rogers maybe was a bit hasty, but with Romo and now Dyson on board he'll be able to rest more often moving forward.

#24 Original Whizzinator

Original Whizzinator

Wahoo

• 914 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 01 August 2019 - 05:38 AM

Lots of concern that Berrios got pulled after eighty some pitches. Even LEN3 got into the act over at the Strib. What does a complete game shutout have to do with the Twins winning a championship? Over the years (well a while ago) we watched as the Twins seemed to have nothing left once the post season finally got started. Justin Morneau had said he thinks he went too hard during the season and was gassed at the end. Let's see how these new methods pan out this year. I don't care about individual stats or achievements.
  • 70charger, Shaitan and MN_ExPat like this

#25 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,727 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 05:49 AM

Lots of concern that Berrios got pulled after eighty some pitches. Even LEN3 got into the act over at the Strib. What does a complete game shutout have to do with the Twins winning a championship? Over the years (well a while ago) we watched as the Twins seemed to have nothing left once the post season finally got started. Justin Morneau had said he thinks he went too hard during the season and was gassed at the end. Let's see how these new methods pan out this year. I don't care about individual stats or achievements.

I agree. However, the domino effect was that Taylor Rogers had to be used on consecutive days, in what was once a 7 run game.
Are we not worried about Rogers getting gassed?

I understand that Rocco didn't plan it that way, but as we saw in the Yankees series, no lead is safe once it's turned over to the bullpen.
  • h2oface and Original Whizzinator like this

#26 Original Whizzinator

Original Whizzinator

Wahoo

• 914 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 01 August 2019 - 05:52 AM

I agree. However, the domino effect was that Taylor Rogers had to be used on consecutive days, in what was once a 7 run game.
I understand that Rocco didn't plan it that way, but as we saw in the Yankees series, no lead is safe once it's turned over to the bullpen.

I was listening in the car and when I heard Rogers was up I didn't like it. Maybe another batter for poppen or use somebody else. It is true that we have other options for tomorrow now.
  • 70charger likes this

#27 wsnydes

wsnydes

Winter baseball enthusiast

• 3,769 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 01 August 2019 - 05:54 AM

Romo and Dyson should reduce the need to use Rogers as often. 

And Rogers has only thrown 23 pitches this week. All in the last two days. 

Edited by wsnydes, 01 August 2019 - 05:56 AM.

"Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes it rains."

#28 twinsfanstreif

twinsfanstreif

• 713 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 05:59 AM

Pulling Berrios early shows a completely different mentality than years past and most of baseball is now embracing it. It's putting less emphasis on individual statistics and achievements and more thought into rest and post season longevity. Welcome to the new generation of players and coaches, It's quite refreshing really
  • luckylager, Dman, cjj td and 2 others like this

#29 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,286 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, NV

Posted 01 August 2019 - 07:27 AM

Crazy how quickly things can change!

Quickly!? The rebuild began in earnest after the 2012 season. Eddie Rosario reached AAA in 2015, Max Kepler and Mitch Garver and Miguel Sano reached AAA in 2016, so that we could begin the anticipation countdown for 30-HR power soon. Things have taken FOREVER to change. :)

It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. -- Arthur Conan Doyle

#30 Sssuperdave

Sssuperdave

• 173 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 07:36 AM

Amazing the difference a 3 game win streak can make.

• The Twins pulled out a winning month of July at 13-11.Their record has been above .500 every month in 2019.
  • The Twins are now 2 games behind the Astros and Yankees for top record in the AL, and Cleveland is 3 games behind the Twins.So, they are closer to having the best record in the AL than they are to 2nd place in their division.
  • The Twins are now 25 games above .500, which is their high water mark.

• Dantes929 likes this

#31 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 145 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 07:54 AM

A little off topic, but I have noticed something interesting about when plate umpires blow calls on balls and strikes. Often it appears that, if you draw an imaginary line from the ump's face to the area of the strike zone where they miss a call, you'll notice that the catcher's head is blocking the umpire's view of the spot where the ball crosses the zone...or misses the zone. This would mean that umps are blowing calls literally because they cannot see where the ball is at the instant it needs to be seen. 

If this is true, or even mostly true, then it suggests a different solution than robo ump. Instead of removing human umpires, maybe we need to augment their vision, perhaps with a head's up display of the ball's path, drawn by a computer.

Or use headless catchers.:)

• 70charger likes this

#32 BBAM

BBAM

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 140 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 08:09 AM

Help!If you have Dish TV, how long are you going to wait before changing.I do not want to change but I don't want to missthe rest of baseball season. I have been waiting 10 years for this.Is Dish really trying to save us money or does FSN need more money to pay people like the Pohlads.I am so torn.I have MLB on my iPad and can listen. It is okay but yesterday I really missed watching Berrios.What are your or would you do?

#33 Alex Schieferdecker

Alex Schieferdecker

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 57 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 08:29 AM

Absolutely no problem with Berrios being pulled with a 7-0 lead at 80-odd pitches. After throwing a bunch of pitches in his last two starts, it was especially good to keep his workload low in this one. He has a big start against a good Atlanta team coming up, being prepared for that is far more important than padding stats against the Fish.

Also no problem with Sean Poppen pitching the ninth, but I thought the move to Rogers was a bit of an overreaction. Why not start the ninth with Lewis Thorpe stretching? When Poppen gives up the first couple hits, you're ready to bring Thorpe in. Seemed like whiplash to go from having your worst reliever out there to having to use your best.

It's not the end of the world though. Although Rogers won't be available today, the rest of the bullpen will be ready, plus Sam The Vacuum Man. 

• 70charger likes this

#34 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 2,586 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 08:32 AM

I am delighted with Berrios he has been almost consistent and best pitcher for The last two years. I was really hoping we would give him another strong starter to compliment his efforts.

#35 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,389 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 08:33 AM

220px-Billy_Idol_Whiplash_Smile_CD_cover

Edited by yarnivek1972, 01 August 2019 - 08:33 AM.

#36 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,177 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 08:38 AM

Kepler has a good chance to get to 40. I remember when Yelich was with the Marlins, someone on here said Kepler projected similarly to Yelich. Last year when Yelich exploded I thought to myself that I wish that were true. Is he finally starting to break out? He is going to be special

Thank you FO for signing Kep and Polanco to extensions. Look at the seasons they are having. Amazing !

• Dantes929 likes this

#37 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,136 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 09:19 AM

It wasn't that long ago (2006) when Morneau crossed the 30 mark and was the first Twins planer in decades to do it... all of these guys and then some may cross that number this year. 

Yeah, that 19 year drought between 30 HR players is almost as unfathomable as what's going on now. Almost.

#38 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 584 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 09:29 AM

Rocco is always taking the long view, so I wasn't a bit surprised to see Berrios come out after only 81 pitches.

#39 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,136 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 09:31 AM

Kepler has a good chance to get to 40. I remember when Yelich was with the Marlins, someone on here said Kepler projected similarly to Yelich. Last year when Yelich exploded I thought to myself that I wish that were true. Is he finally starting to break out? He is going to be special

I recall Molitor drawing a comparison of Kepler's potential to Yelich. It was a seemingly absurd thought. At the same time, quite a few people were arguing to sit Kepler down in favor of Cave, and to dangle Kepler as trade bait. Guess which idea sounds absurd now, right?

• diehardtwinsfan, 70charger and h2oface like this

#40 PDX Twin

PDX Twin

Portland Beavers

• 1,304 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 01 August 2019 - 09:43 AM

Keep racking up these wins against bad teams. Let's get the sweep tomorrow gang!

I don't think we sweep anymore now that we have a Dyson.

• USAFChief, birdwatcher, 70charger and 1 other like this

It's great to get out of the cellar ... as long as you bring something with you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mitch garver, jose berrios, max kepler, eddie rosario, sean poppen