Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Grienke to Astros

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,610 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 31 July 2019 - 02:27 PM

May have to embrace my new home state and be an Astros fan. Their rotation is unbeatable and they're not AFRAID to make impact trades every year.

• notoriousgod71 and SF Twins Fan like this

#2 TFRazor

TFRazor

Who's on first?

• 569 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 02:50 PM

Astros just won the world series. They also picked up biagini and sanchez from the blue jays

Edited by TFRazor, 31 July 2019 - 02:51 PM.

#3 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 610 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 31 July 2019 - 02:54 PM

Yup, going to be difficult to beat them moving forward...

#4 MNT1996

MNT1996

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,413 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 02:58 PM

The World Series winners are going to be teams that make moves like these and not depend on prospects panning out. I wish the Twins could trade their top 10 prospects right now for the Astros front office. 

#5 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,126 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 03:51 PM

May have to embrace my new home state and be an Astros fan. Their rotation is unbeatable and they're not AFRAID to make impact trades every year.

Well, we'll miss you around these parts! Enjoy Astros Daily! :)

• luckylager, Blake, nicksaviking and 3 others like this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#6 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 2,895 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 03:55 PM

Their years of futility are made acceptable by their years of going all in.

The Twins have similar years of futility and bring in Sam Dyson and Sergio Romo.

#7 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,227 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 04:27 PM

I wonder what the Yankees bid on Greinke was. The Twins could mash the Yankees lefty-dominated rotation and surprising as it is to say, but the Yankees could maybe use Greinke in a possible matchup against the Twins

#8 Brandon

Brandon

• 1,978 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 04:41 PM

Aaron Sanchez is a project if I remember correctly.They still have to fix him.  

#9 Brandon

Brandon

• 1,978 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 04:47 PM

Their years of futility are made acceptable by their years of going all in.

The Twins have similar years of futility and bring in Sam Dyson and Sergio Romo.

Problem is there were not that many things the Twins could have done.They got the best reliever and a solid 2nd reliever that were traded at the deadline this year.and this is their biggest weakness. 

In the rotation...Stroman was dealt to the Mets in a quick fashion.That's the only trade that we didn't make happen that I wonder about.Grenke said no and Syndergaard was too expensive.all the top tier relievers stayed put.

on offense no moves were required.

I wonder if it would have been worth it to get Wade Davis from Colorado?They would need to throw in some cash but.....

Edited by Brandon, 31 July 2019 - 04:48 PM.

#10 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,707 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 04:57 PM

I wonder what the Yankees bid on Greinke was. The Twins could mash the Yankees lefty-dominated rotation and surprising as it is to say, but the Yankees could maybe use Greinke in a possible matchup against the Twins

Do the Yankees have enough space under the luxury tax threshold to take on that contract?

I know they could always change their mind, but I think they've been pretty adamant about staying under the harshest threshold.

#11 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,718 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 05:14 PM

Well, we'll miss you around these parts! Enjoy Astros Daily! :)

I think Verlander and Greinke are about 47-years-old; he’ll be back before you know it.

#12 twinsfanstreif

twinsfanstreif

• 712 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 05:27 PM

Astros just won the world series. They also picked up biagini and sanchez from the blue jays

Man, you guys are real downers. Just because they look scary doesn't mean they'll win, crazy things happen in the post season. The 2004 Lakers were probably the best roster on paper of all time, didn't win. Remember the 2001 Mariners? 116 wins, didn't win a championship. Everyone needs to calm down. The Astros are really good but they're not unbeatable and in October it's a whole new game. Let's just wait and see, we still have 2 months to go

#13 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,227 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 06:53 PM

Do the Yankees have enough space under the luxury tax threshold to take on that contract?

I know they could always change their mind, but I think they've been pretty adamant about staying under the harshest threshold.

True enough. I'm not privy to their position on that.

#14 GACbaseball

GACbaseball

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 85 posts
  • LocationEden Prairie

Posted 31 July 2019 - 07:15 PM

To get Greinke (assuming he would have waived his no-trade clause which he didn't), we would have had to give up the equivalent of Graterol, Balazovic, Larnach, and Jose Miranda.

Does giving up that much mean that we'd have a good (more than 50% chance) of winning the World Series?

#15 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,707 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:01 PM

To get Greinke (assuming he would have waived his no-trade clause which he didn't), we would have had to give up the equivalent of Graterol, Balazovic, Larnach, and Jose Miranda.

Does giving up that much mean that we'd have a good (more than 50% chance) of winning the World Series?

No. That is way more than Houston gave up, waaaaay more.

#16 GACbaseball

GACbaseball

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 85 posts
  • LocationEden Prairie

Posted 01 August 2019 - 05:49 AM

No. That is way more than Houston gave up, waaaaay more.

It was Houston's #3, #4, #5, and #22 prospects, which are fairly close to what was listed above.

If you want to substitute Duran for Graterol, then it may be closer. But that is still giving up a ton for a 35 year old

#17 Tomj14

Tomj14

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 837 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 06:11 AM

I don't think Greinke would have came here, but if he would have I would have easily made that trade.

#18 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,057 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 01 August 2019 - 08:28 AM

You have to admire an organization that has been able to--in a day and age when top flight pitching is scarcer and more valuable than extra paid vacation days--trade for Justin Verlander, Gerrit Cole, and Zack Greinke (and perhaps the majors best reliever, a dude named Pressly) in the space of a few years. 

And have them all on the same team. 

That's some pretty fancy wheelin' and dealin', you have to admit. 

Big boy baseball. 

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#19 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,261 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 10:35 AM

Gotta admire Houston. They are doing great work.
  • Twins33 likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#20 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,610 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:34 AM

You have to admire an organization that has been able to--in a day and age when top flight pitching is scarcer and more valuable than extra paid vacation days--trade for Justin Verlander, Gerrit Cole, and Zack Greinke (and perhaps the majors best reliever, a dude named Pressly) in the space of a few years.

And have them all on the same team.

That's some pretty fancy wheelin' and dealin', you have to admit.

Big boy baseball.

What's more amazing is not a single "top prospect" has worked out for the other team.