Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Acquire RHP Sam Dyson from Giants

sam dyson prelander berroa jaylin davis kai-wei teng
  • Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

#201 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Minnesota Twins

• 2,643 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 07:31 PM

There is some irony in a move, intended to strengthen the bullpen, having an immediate result that leaves it in a highly weakened state heading into the next series.

To quote Forest Gump, “it happens.”
  • ashbury likes this

#202 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,874 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 01 August 2019 - 08:03 PM

To quote Michael Scott:

tenor.gif

I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.

#203 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,289 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 03 August 2019 - 06:43 AM

So, Dyson has had back-to-back lousy performances. I’m glad he got them out of the way. The only fear I have is that it gets in his head. His record says that he will be a good late-inning guy.
  • Sconnie likes this

#204 jz7233

jz7233

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 623 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 08:10 AM

You will always say it happens until it happens all the time. Then it's going to be too late.

#205 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,517 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 08:25 AM

Duffey might be better. I mean that as a credit to Duffey not a knock on Dyson.

He did the work to make changes this year. Brandon Warne did a nice piece last spring about his work on tunneling. He is a two pitch pitcher now with his increased use of the curveball and dropping the change up.

He has performed well. To go with his solid ERA he also has not allowed an inherited runner to score this year. His strike out rate is 29.1%. It is time to trust Duffey with the 8th inning.
  • Dman and jz7233 like this

#206 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,494 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 03 August 2019 - 08:47 AM

He did the work to make changes this year. Brandon Warne did a nice piece last spring about his work on tunneling. He is a two pitch pitcher now with his increased use of the curveball and dropping the change up.

He has performed well. To go with his solid ERA he also has not allowed an inherited runner to score this year. His strike out rate is 29.1%. It is time to trust Duffey with the 8th inning.

I like Romo as setup.Duffey has great stuff and I do really think he has the make up to be a shut down reliever, his problem is that damn control.Once he loses it, he really loses it.If he could learn to harness it just a little better I really think he could be something special.

• Dman likes this

#207 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,517 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 09:34 AM

Neither Romo or Dyson were what I ultimately hoped to acquire but they were the best relievers that moved at the deadline.

As far as trusting late they need more than 3 or they will overwork those 3. Duffey needs to join that group and right now he needs to be ahead of Dyson.
  • Sconnie likes this

#208 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,874 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 03 August 2019 - 09:59 AM

You will always say it happens until it happens all the time. Then it's going to be too late.

"Until." Are we presupposing?

Have you looked at his track record, such as his game log this year? He had a bad outing for SF on July 13, quite similar to what we've seen, with 3 runs given up without recording an out. Blew the save. Team lost.

Then he came in to a game two days later and began a string of 7 appearances leading up to the trade, where he pitched an inning each time and gave up an aggregate of 2 hits and 1 walk, for an OPS-against of .212. (Yes, his BABIP was a little low. :) )

I mean, this is the nature of a relief pitcher.

He gave us two truly terrible games. His record doesn't say this is who he is, though.

He's a 31-year old athlete. I don't think it makes sense to throw out his entire recent body of work, and make extrapolations like "until" based on two games.

• SwainZag likes this

I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.

#209 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• 5,453 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 03 August 2019 - 01:27 PM

Neither Romo or Dyson were what I ultimately hoped to acquire but they were the best relievers that moved at the deadline.

As far as trusting late they need more than 3 or they will overwork those 3. Duffey needs to join that group and right now he needs to be ahead of Dyson.

the bullpen is absolutely improved, and agreed, The Twins got the two best relievers that moved. I was hoping for more, if it were Giles, Romo, Dyson, i’d be very, very happy. Just Romo and Dyson and you’re counting on one of the young guys to take big leap forward.

That can absolutely happen, but tough to count on. Fingers crossed that one of May, Duffey, Littell steps up big.
  • SQUIRREL and jorgenswest like this

#210 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,538 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 02:16 PM

More likely the 6th or 7th.

In my “perfect world” scenario, Rogers is the “get out of trouble” guy in the 7th or 8th (or 9th in a tie game). Romo should be used to start the 9th with a lead. Duffey would be used if/when the starter runs into trouble in the 6th or 7th. Until he shows he deserves a more critical role, probably use May to relieve the starter before the 6th (most likely when losing). Dyson and the AAA reliever rotation roles to be determined.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sam dyson, prelander berroa, jaylin davis, kai-wei teng