Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Trade Deadline: What if the Twins Do Nothing?

trevor bauer jose berrios derek falvey thad levine
  • Please log in to reply
456 replies to this topic

#441 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,061 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 03:07 PM

We may be able to hold an occasional lead in the postseason now, but will we ever get one with this starting rotation?

#442 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,860 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 03:13 PM

We may be able to hold an occasional lead in the postseason now, but will we ever get one with this starting rotation?

Boy, what a silly trade deadline re: starters.

Stroman and Bauer go to non-contenders. Minor, Bumgarner, Wheeler, and others stay put.

Only Greinke felt like a normal move.

• Danchat and wsnydes like this

#443 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 1,722 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 03:14 PM

No offense, but some of you guys are impossible to please. A week ago most were saying that adding 2 to 3 solid relievers was the goal. We did. Dyson is a high leverage to closer type. Romo is a solid middle leverage 7th inning guy who can give you some high leverage innings. Would it have been nice to get Shane Greene or Zack Greinke? Of course. Do you want to trade with Detroit and give them good MiLB talent that we could face 19 times a year? No, and that's assuming Detriot would even trade within the division. Greinke had the Twins on his no trade list. He wasn't coming to the Twins because he didn't want to come to the Twins. He ahd that right and he wanted to stay in Arizona. End of story. 

C'mon now, we had a solid return at the deadline and didn't give up a lot to get it. Solid performance by the FO. Not outstanding, but solid and a big step up from the Terry Ryan days. Complaints that we didn't do better because the Pohlads are cheap or because we overvalued our prospects just aren't supported by facts. Today (and this deadline) was a good day. Let's enjoy it. 

All that aside, the Astros getting Greinke is pretty scary.They now are the presumptive AL WS entrants over the Yankees. 

• Twins33, Oldgoat_MN, 70charger and 2 others like this

#444 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,531 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 03:18 PM

I don’t recall the word “solid” being used to describe reliever targets. The word I recall is “shut down”. That doesn’t describe Romo or Dyson.

#445 tlkriens

tlkriens

Elizabethton Twins

• 24 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 03:23 PM

ALDS game 5. 7th inning. Top of the Yankees lineup coming up in a 2-2 ballgame. Now pitching for the Twins...Lewis Thorpe. Still confident? 

In this scenario, Thorpe is coming in before Romo, Dyson and Rogers? OK.

He did give up one run in 2 2/3 inning last week to the Yankees. There are worse options. 

• 70charger likes this

#446 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,656 posts

What a weird deadline. Yankees and Red Sox did virtually nothing to improve their pitching. Houston traded for EVERYONE. Mets and Reds (non contenders) trade for two of the best starters on the market. Wheeler, Bumgarner, Vazquez, Minor don't get traded.

Just weird

This is where I’m at right now.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#447 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,061 posts

Another thing I’d like to add is while we should strive to be like the Tampa Bay Rays our minor league development hasn’t been great. Yes, it’s looking more like some of our position players are developing nicely (Polanco, Garver, Rosario, and Kepler), yet we’ve only sorta developed 2 quality starting pitchers in Berríos and Gibson (and Gibson is a stretch considering he was a potential #2-3 starter who is more or less a #4-5 starter). If we were actually better at developing talent I’d feel better of standing pat.

Why do we want to be like Tampa Bay? What have they ever won? The goal is not to spend the least amount of dollars per win; the goal is to spend as much as is necessary for the most wins and the FINAL win.

#448 dex8425

dex8425

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 67 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 03:24 PM

I personally am happy with the two deadline deals. At the beginning of the year, I thought we were 2 pen arms away from being a legitimate playoff series contender.I would have rather had Kimbrel, but Dyson and Romo are solid pieces and it does look like one or more of the AAA guys, or May, can be a shut down 6th-7th inning guy. 

Making a huge splash is fun, but nobody expected the Twins to do that and I'm not sure I would want the Twins to do the Greinke deal the Astros did. 

• brvama, Oldgoat_MN and LA VIkes Fan like this

#449 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• 3,022 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 31 July 2019 - 03:25 PM

Well...what happened?
  • SQUIRREL and Don Walcott like this

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#450 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,061 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 03:41 PM

This reminds me of 2001. The Twins traded for a closer and a starter a couple days before the deadline. But getting the starter cost them their leadoff hitter, Matt Lawton. Ortiz and Guzman were already hurt. Doug Mientkiewicz remembered that he was Doug Mientkiewicz after doing an impersonation of Rod Carew for two months. The offense was scuffling, bad. The common wisdom (as I recall, the main messgage board in those days was on espn) was that the Twins were going to trade away some surplus OF prospects for Shannon Stewart or Brian Hunter.

Suffice to say, that didn’t happen.

Here's a funny story. I used to tape a lot of games on this thing called a VCR and I watched a bunch of them about ten years ago before my VCR died a tragic death. One of the games was from June or July of 2001 against Detroit and Dick says, "The Tigers will likely try to move Todd Jones at the trade deadline but looking at his numbers I'm not sure they'll find any takers."

#451 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,061 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 03:43 PM

They can spin it however they want, I don't see this fanbase taking the bait.

We will be easily appeased with another Joe Mauer night.

• PDX Twin likes this

#452 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,061 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 03:46 PM

I'm about to acquire a Chipotle burrito bowl for cash considerations...

That is more of a rental?

#453 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,656 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 03:52 PM

Well...what happened?

Good morning, Dinger! Had your coffee yet? :)

• Pardon My Dinger likes this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#454 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,656 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 03:53 PM

That is more of a rental?

Depends on how much fast food affects your system.

• Platoon likes this

#455 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

All in all, a good season.

• 1,944 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 03:56 PM

I guess Diplan can take Lewin Diaz's place in this offseason's 40-man crunch.

Art least he'll be safe. No one is going to pick up a guy with 5 to 6 walks per nine.

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#456 spycake

spycake

• 16,777 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 04:41 PM

Art least he'll be safe. No one is going to pick up a guy with 5 to 6 walks per nine.

...except us. :)
  • Oldgoat_MN likes this

#457 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,950 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 10:18 PM

The potential for this thread going apocalyptically nuclear really looked promising around 3:01 today....

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trevor bauer, jose berrios, derek falvey, thad levine