Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Trade Deadline: What if the Twins Do Nothing?

trevor bauer jose berrios derek falvey thad levine
  • Please log in to reply
456 replies to this topic

#21 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 607 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:18 AM

Serpentine Shelly! Serpentine!
  • USAFChief and curt1965 like this

#22 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 642 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:19 AM

I don't get this part...

"it is important for Twins fans to stand by a team that has put themselves in this position."

If they opt to stand pat and not do anything to improve the obvious and glaring weaknesses of this team, why should we stand by this team and its front office? They are doing a disservice to everyone involved, including the 25 guys in that clubhouse, the coaches, and fans, if they don't make a move to improve this team.

That is such a cop out of a statement, really.

You stand by them because there is a possibility that every trade discussed began with "We want either Buxton or Kepler and either Lewis or Kirilloff plus Graterol for" (insert whatever name you want). None of us knows what the front office is doing to try to improve this team. But, IMHO, it seems like a lot of people are assuming they are doing nothing.
  • Cap'n Piranha, SwainZag, LA VIkes Fan and 7 others like this

#23 J_Dobs

J_Dobs

Elizabethton Twins

• 42 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:20 AM

I would be extremely upset. You can claim all you want that the "price was too much", but I know for a fact you can get Ian Kennedy pretty reasonable and all you need to do is take on the salary, and if we don't end up with anyone you didn't try at all in my opinion.

• Dantes929, Oldgoat_MN and Otwins like this

#24 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• 2,053 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:21 AM

The front office has gotten a lot of unfair criticism on here, but obviously this would be an entirely different scenario. I don't even want to get into the ramifications because I can't accept that it's a real possibility.

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.

#25 DutchFarmer

DutchFarmer

• 49 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:21 AM

Probably an unpopular opinion but I'm totally cool if they do nothing. 

• SQUIRREL, birdwatcher, Blake and 10 others like this

#26 drbob524

drbob524

• 136 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:23 AM

If they dont do anything, I'm gonna really regret not getting tickets to the BP even at TF. Thad might want to bring a poncho or some old clothes for when he gets pelted with rotten produce.

• FlauerPauer likes this

#27 SarasotaBill

SarasotaBill

• 190 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:28 AM

The worse thing would be a "Archer" or "Capps" trade

• PDX Twin and gman like this

#28 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Ft Myers Miracle

• 460 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:28 AM

It depends on what their goal is.Maybe they'll be happy just making the playoffs.Thad and Derek weren't here for the Gardy years.

#29 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,857 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:35 AM

There really is no excuse, especially relief help. The Twins are absolutely loaded with the type of players it takes to get a relief arm (B/C prospects).

If the front office can't identify a few of those players they don't really like in the first place and move them for at least one reliever, that's a pretty massive failure on their part.

What if Sergio Romo ends up being the best reliever traded? Not just for the Twins, but the entire league. I'm worried that if the Pirates don't move Vazquez, there will be nothing but Romo-esque types available.

This is disappointing, MLBTR is quieter this morning than it has been in two weeks. Bad vibes. Hopefully it's just the calm before the storm.

• SwainZag, Hosken Bombo Disco, SF Twins Fan and 2 others like this

#30 FormerMinnasotan

FormerMinnasotan

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 679 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:40 AM

The question is this: Do the Twins want to go for a Championship this year or do they punt to next year and beyond? If they punt they are foolish because there are no guarantees the Twins will be better next year and beyond.

Also, there’s absolutely no guarantees our top prospects will pan out so...it’s smart to move some of these prospects (like Lewis, Kirilloff, Graterol, etc) especially when there are several top prospects who play the same position (see Graterol, Duran, Balazovic, Kirilloff, Larnach, Rooker).

To be real without a trade for another starter who can we trust in the Post Season w/ Berríos? Odorizzi? Not likely. Gibson? No. Perez? Again no. Pineda? Probably not. So it’s obvious that we need another starter. If not now, when?
  • Reider and FlauerPauer like this

#31 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,860 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:43 AM

What if Sergio Romo ends up being the best reliever traded? Not just for the Twins, but the entire league. I'm worried that if the Pirates don't move Vazquez, there will be nothing but Romo-eque types available.

This is disappointing, MLBTR is quieter this morning than it has been in two weeks. Bad vibes. Hopefully it's just the calm before the storm.

If Romo is the best reliever traded, I hope the Twins go find another Romo and trade for him. Or go find a starter and move Perez to the bullpen.

I won't fault them for not getting an elite arm if no elite arms are traded but I will fault them for sitting on their hands.

• Twins33, nicksaviking, wsnydes and 1 other like this

#32 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Ft Myers Miracle

• 435 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:44 AM

Right. There is no guarantee that the Twins will ever have a season, up until this point, like this one again. There is a reason why they are setting all sorts of team and baseball records with their offense. You don't punt until next season when you have nearly nothing set in stone as far as your pitching goes.

This front office has said that when the window opened, they would pounce. Well, the window is open. Wide open. If they fail to do so, they will have fleeced all of us.

• Steve Lein, gunnarthor, Oldgoat_MN and 1 other like this

#33 Trov

Trov

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 187 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:45 AM

I expect some trades, not sure if anything major though.If the asking price for any major players is Lewis and/or Kiraloff, as reported both Toronto and Mets were asking for both and Mets wanted Buxton too.That is way to high of asking price in my opinion.  

Many people were upset we did not get Stroman for what Mets did, but reports were Toronto was not dealing him to us for same level of prospects they did for Mets.We will never know what other teams are asking for from Twins.We assume some of the starters available are upgrades, but you never know if they will be or not.  

I would love to see a big time bullpen guy and top end starter, but who knows what will be asked for them.  

#34 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,650 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:53 AM

I would be a bit disappointed. I think Kennedy is kind of the baseline. I would like Lynn but don't know how much it would cost.Thing is, all these possibleacquisitions move the needle incrementally not monumentally.Would Giles or Kennedy have avoided the Yankee loss? Possibly., and maybe another game but maybe they implode a different game where the guy we had got out of it. The net over time is maybe a game, maybe two, maybe -1.Maybe that difference gives us a 5% better chance of making the playoffs.Maybe that difference gains us 2% better chance in the playoffs. Its possible not making a move is what gets us a World Series and its possible making three great moves gets us swept in the first round, butIts all about percentages and if Kennedy moves the needle at all and money was the reason for not getting him, yes I will be disappointed. 

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#35 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,857 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:55 AM

If Romo is the best reliever traded, I hope the Twins go find another Romo and trade for him. Or go find a starter and move Perez to the bullpen.

I won't fault them for not getting an elite arm if no elite arms are traded but I will fault them for sitting on their hands.

Right, if I have to settle for Daniel Hudson and Roenis Elias I will, but ugh, if that's the best this team can do, whether it's anyone's fault or not, this deadline is going to be a big let down after the flurry of rumors that have been flying for the last month.

#36 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• 7,120 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

I will wait and see what happens. as I'm not privy to any ongoing discussions within the Twins organization.

I'm quite sure the FO wants to improve the pitching staff, but, what they have to offer may not fit a need for teams that are selling and teams that are selling may want far more than the FO is willing to give up.

I would like the FO to make a move, but, I also know sometimes not making a move is the hardest thing to do.

• Cap'n Piranha, Craig Arko, PDX Twin and 3 others like this

#37 blindeke

blindeke

• 510 posts

I trust them to evaluate well and not screw up this team's future.

• birdwatcher, Blake, cjj td and 5 others like this

#38 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,509 posts

I don't get this part...

"it is important for Twins fans to stand by a team that has put themselves in this position."

What I hear Seth saying is that we still root for the players, other fans and community, regardless of what happens.
  • MN_ExPat likes this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#39 twins1095

twins1095

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 240 posts

I hope they make at least 1 more Romo esque bullpen move and I would not be mad if we acquire a Ross or a Minor or a Lynn and give up a similar haul to the Stroman deal.That's honestly my ideal situation in a world where Synyguard costs what he probably does.

• DutchFarmer likes this

#40 Soft Tosser

Soft Tosser

Elizabethton Twins

• 41 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 09:01 AM

At the very least, the Twins need to come away with at least 2 middle inning relievers who are major league average or better. There's lots of those guys around that wouldn't cost that much in return. And I mean 2 guys who can handle high leverage situations. Now, maybe they'll be grizzled vets who are on loan, I don't care, at least we'd have a shot in that scenario.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trevor bauer, jose berrios, derek falvey, thad levine