Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Game Recap (7/30): Pitchers Stifle Marlins Bats, Twins Come Out on Top

minnesota twins twins vs marlins twins game recap twins win
  • Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 denarded

denarded

• 132 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 10:55 PM

I appreciate all the writers for what they do but this article is a cluster**** There is no deadline pressure. One example

Byron Buxton got the scoring going in the top of the third when Byron Buxton hit a towering flyball over the fence in left-centerfield to give the Twins an early one to nothing lead.

Take a breath and do some self-editing. There is no hard deadline for this stuff. And I do appreciate what you guys do, but I've been noticing a lot of awful errors and I am not a Strunk and White Nazi

• PDX Twin likes this
Wikipedia is for suckers

#22 VivaBomboRivera!

VivaBomboRivera!

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 140 posts
  • Locationwest of Jingu, east of Koshien

Posted 30 July 2019 - 10:57 PM

No, you're *also* right. The other Fangraphs stat has him around 36%, but I rely more on their PitchFX stats, which has him just over 40%.

Potato, Poh-tah-to. The point is the same. He doesn't throw strikes.

As long as he throws strikes often enough - especially on the first pitch - to make the hitter worry the next pitch will be a strike, as well.

#23 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,717 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 10:57 PM

I think I read somewhere Romo throws strikes less than 40 percent of the time. Gets people out on pitches out of the zone. Saw a lot of that tonight. Nerve wracking, but he's been doing it successfully a long time. Hope it continues into November.

It depends on whether the number is from Pitch f/x for Baseball info solutions. They are different. His pitch f/x zone% is 36.2.

Either way he is extreme in how little he pitches in the strike zone and backs that up with getting swings in balls out of the zone at a high rate for relievers only exceeded by Tony Watson.

This mix should work well against the inexperienced hitters he will face as the next two months.

#24 VATwinsFan

VATwinsFan

• 1,970 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 31 July 2019 - 06:28 AM

Now that we got the 2-1 game out of the way, how about a couple of 10-3 type games for tonight and tomorrow?

• pbrezeasap, Danchat, big dog and 2 others like this

#25 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,764 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 31 July 2019 - 06:41 AM

Now when opposing batters step in the box, Castro and Garver can say, "I don't know where it's gonna go. Swear to God."

I dont mean to imply Romo has bad control, or even bad command. On the contrary, i think he has excellent command. He gets ahead, then lives just on the edges, or just off the edges of the zone. He creates the illusion of strikes by starting pitches in the zone, but by the time they reach the plate, they aren't quite there any more. And he's good at it, particularly with that slider. And he's careful to make sure if he misses, he misses more outside the zone, than letting a pitch miss toward the middle of the zone.

He has to do this. He absolutely cant be successful if he's consistently throwing strikes anywhere near the middle of the zone.

It's important for any pitcher to pitch ahead in the count, but IMO even more so for Romo. Being put in a position of having to throw a strike is bad news for him. Fortunately, he's been able to do this for a long time.
  • SQUIRREL, diehardtwinsfan and VivaBomboRivera! like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#26 luckylager

luckylager

• 387 posts
  • LocationStuck in the middle

Posted 31 July 2019 - 06:43 AM

I appreciate all the writers for what they do but this article is a cluster**** There is no deadline pressure. One example

Byron Buxton got the scoring going in the top of the third when Byron Buxton hit a towering flyball over the fence in left-centerfield to give the Twins an early one to nothing lead.

Take a breath and do some self-editing. There is no hard deadline for this stuff. And I do appreciate what you guys do, but I've been noticing a lot of awful errors and I am not a Strunk and White Nazi

Ask to speak to the manager. Maybe you can get your money back. 

• pbrezeasap, Puckett34, woolywoolhouse and 4 others like this

#27 big dog

big dog

• 3,101 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 06:45 AM

Man, I'd love to play with a guy like that.That's an attitude that could elevate an bunch of young relievers.

• luckylager, pbrezeasap and In My La-Z-boy like this

#28 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 06:55 AM

Thanks for reading, and thanks for the tip. Glad to see you expect quality here. I went through and cleaned some stuff up. While there is no specific deadline for these, time is always of the essence.

Readers have come to expect these to be posted shortly after the games and we don't want to let them down. Also, the people who write or help publish these have other things in their lives they need to attend to, so there is some pressure to get these turned around as soon as possible. Just because there isn't a print deadline doesn't mean we have infinite time and resources to comb through everything, unfortunately.

• SQUIRREL, USAFChief, pbrezeasap and 8 others like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#29 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 245 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 07:08 AM

Writing for consumption sometimes contains bumps and warts . . kind of like all of us. I think the combination of timeliness, reporting, insight, editorializing and comments presented here is pretty good stuff.

• SQUIRREL, pbrezeasap, wavedog and 2 others like this

#30 blindeke

blindeke

• 530 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 07:15 AM

Nice win! I love the low scoring Ws.

One weird play was the hit and run with Sano on first. I could see it on 3-1 or 2-1 but not on 3-2. Arraez ended up chasing a pitch he normally wouldn't offer at and we ended up running ourselves out of the inning.

Yeah what was that?

#31 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,362 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 07:17 AM

Remember that time Sano squared up to bunt?

Hilarious.

• mendozaline likes this

#32 woolywoolhouse

woolywoolhouse

• 343 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 07:28 AM

Winning a 2-1 game is nice. It shows the Twins don't have to hit 5 homeruns a game to win. Was it as nice as their 1-0 win against the Astros? No, because those games are supposed to be close. But it was still nice. Duffy, Romo, and Rogers all looked confident out there.

SblamiVvl-SFSfi_8yN5GGvjJk0=.gif

#33 In My La-Z-boy

In My La-Z-boy

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 144 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:17 AM

Good on Tyler Duffy. He was an excellent college closer. We need 7th innings just like that. Day 1 for Romo couldn't have been better, and what an infectious smile and attitude. Hoping for the best today. At least 1 power bullpen arm please.

#34 VATwinsFan

VATwinsFan

• 1,970 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:27 AM

Fun fact -- Romo has pitched in 27 post season games (2010, 2012, 2014, 2016) and given up 8 runs (23.1 IP).7 of those runs were given up in 10 division series games, which means in the 17 league championship and WS games he's pitched in, he's given up 1 run (13.1 IP).

• DannySD likes this

#35 Wyorev

Wyorev

• 66 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 09:38 AM

Ask to speak to the manager. Maybe you can get your money back. 

I would suggest that when you speak to the manager, you might offer your critique in a more kind manner.

I also will get caught when there is a difficult sentence, and wish for a little cleaner writing. At the same time, I bet there would be less of a reaction to your post from the likes of me if you left out the "cluster**" type of comment... 

#36 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,909 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 31 July 2019 - 10:10 AM

Now that we got the 2-1 game out of the way, how about a couple of 10-3 type games for tonight and tomorrow?

And an Indians loss to that as well please.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minnesota twins, twins vs marlins, twins game recap, twins win