Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Twins Moving on From SP Trade Targets?

noah syndergaard marcus stroman
  • Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#41 Tibs

Tibs

• 1,228 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 30 July 2019 - 07:17 AM

consider the possibility the Blue Jays didn't demand Lewis/Kirilloff.

That would make a lot more sense
I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#42 J_Dobs

J_Dobs

Elizabethton Twins

• 42 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 07:20 AM

Buxton....lol.

Not over yet, see how things change by Wednesday if the offers aren't there.

Yates and Giles would be guys I'd like to see.

I would LOVE Yates, but I doubt is on the move unless the Twins move Lewis or Kiriloff. Giles was reported last night still having elbow inflammation. Its not looking good, at this point I think we are going to have to settle for Ian Kennedy (who I actually really like, and assuming the Royals will trade to us), Shawn Kelley, Greg Holland (has now imploded). There is just nothing great out there. I've said this for weeks, I just don't see all that much action this deadline.

• lukeduke1980 likes this

#43 spycake

spycake

• 17,099 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 07:22 AM

We definitely should have knocked the door down on Stroman.

Sure doesn't look like the Mets even knocked loudly, with what they gave up for him.

The Twins be like:

And the Mets be like:

• David HK likes this

#44 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,064 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 30 July 2019 - 07:27 AM

We definitely should have knocked the door down on Stroman. Should have went bold on him. 

Reports said Jays demanded one of either Royce Lewis or Alex Kiriloff be included in the Stroman package. Twins said no. Time will tell if that was the right decision.

#45 spycake

spycake

• 17,099 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 07:40 AM

download.jpeg

Everyone knows the Jays asked for Lewis or Kirilloff. What this post presupposes is... maybe they didn't?

:)

Edited by spycake, 30 July 2019 - 07:41 AM.

• USAFChief and James like this

#46 J_Dobs

J_Dobs

Elizabethton Twins

• 42 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 07:52 AM

StromanReport

It looks like they had possibly backed down from that

But the head scratcher to me is that it was the Mets winning this. Braves, Astros, Yankees, Boston, all were looking at Stroman. your telling me no one couldn't beat the Mets? It wasn't just us, everything as a whole just makes no sense. Ross Atkins must have been tired of the trade game?

Edited by J_Dobs, 30 July 2019 - 07:53 AM.

• pbrezeasap, Dantes929 and Danchat like this

#47 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,202 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 08:05 AM

I’m just curious how the Blue Jays went from Lewis/Kirilloff plus whatever for Stroman to two pitching prospects outside the top 100 from the Mets. We could have easily beat that deal from the Mets. What’s going on? What’s up with that huge change in price?

Top 100 of what? 

I'm quite confident no teams are using a list made from BA to evaluate players in even the slightest.

• old nurse and DannySD like this

#48 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Ft Myers Miracle

• 446 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 08:15 AM

Reports said Jays demanded one of either Royce Lewis or Alex Kiriloff be included in the Stroman package. Twins said no. Time will tell if that was the right decision.

They can demand all they want - I find it hard to believe that the Twins couldn't offer a better package than what the Jays got from the Mets.

• Reider likes this

#49 alarp33

alarp33

• 2,295 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 08:20 AM

They can demand all they want - I find it hard to believe that the Twins couldn't offer a better package than what the Jays got from the Mets.

Unless you work for the Blue Jays, you have ZERO idea what they consider a better package. And unless you work for the Twins, you have ZERO idea what they offered

• Reider, DocBauer, Shaitan and 1 other like this

"The game has changed since I've entered, it's for bright, energetic negotiators moreso than anything I possess." - Terry Ryan 2007

#50 Tibs

Tibs

• 1,228 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 30 July 2019 - 08:43 AM

Top 100 of what? 

I'm quite confident no teams are using a list made from BA to evaluate players in even the slightest.

Wow so you’re saying each team spends a ton of money each year on scouting and analytics departments instead of going off of the top 100 prospect list on Baseball Prospectus? No way! That’s insane!
I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#51 DannySD

DannySD

Elizabethton Twins

• 30 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 30 July 2019 - 08:51 AM

With the way Toronto is collecting sons of former big leaguers who are just about ready to play, you would think they would have asked for Gordon ;)

• Danchat, Reider and David HK like this

#52 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,131 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 08:56 AM

Top 100 of what?

How would you like the rest of us to assess all the prospects? Do you really think any of us think what you just typed? What does this post even mean?

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#53 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 1,752 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 09:14 AM

Getting back to trying to trade for a reliever, I hope the Twins are talking to Cincinnati about Igelsias and Texas about Leclerc. I'd rather have Iglesias but Leclerc would be a good get because of his underlying talent even though his numbers aren't great. Ian Kennedy would also be a nice addition but he's a 7th inning guy, not a late inning guy. I'm also still in on Roenis Elias of Seattle. Let's get one of those three, maybe plus Kennedy. 

The Mets changed direction. They got what they consider a good deal on Stroman (who knows if they're right), and decided to go for a reload rather than a rebuild. Typical Mets, by the way. I'm guessing Thor stays and Wheeler goes so the Mets roll our deGrom, Stroman, Syndegaard and Matz next year with Diaz and Lugo on the pen. Add Alonso and Conforto, sign a free agent bat or two and squint real hard and you can see the outlines of a "contender" in that mediocre division. If you start with that mindset, you only trade Thor for guys that come in and help you right away and in the next 2-3 years. Like Buxton. 

Edited by LA VIkes Fan, 30 July 2019 - 09:15 AM.

• DocBauer likes this

#54 HawksNest

HawksNest

Ft Myers Miracle

• 320 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 09:18 AM

Lavelle just said on KFAN that Twins were "pissed" about the Toronto/NYM trade.

"were in line to execute a deal and the rug was pulled out from under them"

• PseudoSABR and KirbyDome89 like this

#55 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Ft Myers Miracle

• 446 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 09:19 AM

Did PA follow it up with a grunt?

• nicksaviking likes this

#56 spycake

spycake

• 17,099 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 09:22 AM

Thanks, I might have to listen.

This would suggest even more that Lavelle's story last night was spin from Twins sources, as other sources had the Twins dragging their heels on non-Lewis/Kirilloff deals with the Jays (as well as non-Buxton deals with the Mets).
  • HawksNest likes this

#57 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,131 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 09:27 AM

Spin. I'm tired of the Twins being in on guys. Or just missing. Or whatever.
  • Jerr, Vanimal46 and KirbyDome89 like this

#58 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,202 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 09:28 AM

Wow so you’re saying each team spends a ton of money each year on scouting and analytics departments instead of going off of the top 100 prospect list on Baseball Prospectus? No way! That’s insane!

How would you like the rest of us to assess all the prospects? Do you really think any of us think what you just typed? What does this post even mean?

It's hard to understand how everyone is dumbfounded that the Blue Jays didn't get players from a list that they probably didn't even look at.

#59 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,131 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 09:30 AM

It's hard to understand how everyone is dumbfounded that the Blue Jays didn't get players from a list that they probably didn't even look at.

I'll try again.

How would you like the rest of us to assess the value of trades involving prospects? To see what might be reasonable for the Twins to make deals, for example?

#60 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 13,102 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 July 2019 - 09:33 AM

Spin. I'm tired of the Twins being in on guys. Or just missing. Or whatever.

Not sure what's worse... Radio silence until a trade is complete from the past regime. Or reading that the Twins are in on every player but conveniently come up short every time.
  • Mike Sixel, Reider and KirbyDome89 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: noah syndergaard, marcus stroman