Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Is Alex Kirilloff Expendable?

alex kirilloff noah syndergaard royce lewis max kepler eddie rosario
  • Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 mudcat14

mudcat14

• 544 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 07:54 PM

Personally, I'd give up Lewis & Kiriloff if the deal netted both Syndergaard & 
Diaz.They are two experienced yet controllable, dynamic, young arms that could thrive outside of the NY spotlight. Plus they fill glaring needs on a potential World Series team, right now.

• South Dakota Tom, Cast of Thousands and DavidTiz like this

"Hey!You F**ked Up.You trusted us." - Otter to Flounder in 'Animal House'

#22 ScooterDance

ScooterDance

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 227 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 08:52 PM

I'd push all my chips in. We have a historically good offense. If you pair that with top 8 pitching staff, we have a legitimate shot to get a trophy that does not read "2019 ALDS participant - 0-3 to NYY".

• Cast of Thousands likes this

#23 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Minnesota Twins

• 2,643 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 09:07 PM

Kiriloff, Javier, and Thorpe for Syndegaard.

#24 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,864 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 09:49 PM

Granted this thread is about Kirilloff, but right now, it's almost impossible not to include Lewis in any discussion as they are intertwined in many ways as we approach the deadline.

It doesn't matter, for discussion purposes, that we don't WANT to trade either one. For purpose of discussion...NOW, or even next off season...ONE of these guys would have to be included in a major deal for a front of the line SP. Just being realistic, BOTH are available if the right deal is in place. Period. And either would not decimate the system, or the future of the franchise. Again, period.

1] Kiriloff: I believe he is a special bat. He reminds me of Larry Walker and our own Max Kepler, though probably a little less speed than Kepler, especially if he continues to muscle up. Blocked? Hardly! Even if the Twins keep their OF intact for the next 4-5yrs, and I hope they do, there isn't room for Kirilloff to play 1B as well as some OF? I kinda laugh when I read things about how a corner OF or 1B are a dime a dozen. Maybe they are if you just want someone league average. The Twins were both lucky and smart with Cron.

However, the arguement can be fairly made they could be smart and lucky again. Further, while I feel Kirilloff could be special, there remains Rooker and Larnach available in the pipeline, as well as an eventual move of Sano to 1B. [More on that coming].

2] Lewis: This kid is super talented, and probably more highly regard in some ways as he has legitimate SS potential. He has all the tools in the world to be a legitimate difference maker. (I also laugh when a stud athlete at 20yr old is "uncertain" to remain at SS). Polanco has become, is becoming, everything I hoped and thought he would be. And he is still developing! Some, in the past, have blasted me about the idea of Lewis, with all his talent and a good arm, about playing 3B. I've been told that would be a "waste" of his talent. How? How could it EVER be a waste to have a supreme talent at ANY position on the field and in your lineup?

However: Polanco, again, is a young and controlled stud who will only get better. We may have already found our next 2B in Arreaz. Despite being a bit of an enigma, Wander has, probably, as much talent and potential as either Polanco or Lewis. And while their are differing opinions on Sano at 3B, (I like him there), there is no immediate need to replace him.

So you tell me, because I don't have the answer, which of these 2 are "expendable" if the right deal is available?
  • curt1965 likes this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#25 South Dakota Tom

South Dakota Tom

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 93 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 29 July 2019 - 10:06 PM

Personally, I'd give up Lewis & Kiriloff if the deal netted both Syndergaard & 
Diaz.They are two experienced yet controllable, dynamic, young arms that could thrive outside of the NY spotlight. Plus they fill glaring needs on a potential World Series team, right now.

You add Thor and Diaz to this team right now, and we are absolutely top-end for at least this year and next.Giving up prospects 1 and 2 is tough, but as an earlier poster noted, this is why we stockpiled position players (or at least took BPA) so that we could deal from positions of strength to fill holes. 

And then we'd have two years to fill a DH and 1B spot when Cruz and Cron depart (and yes, I trust Larnach, Rooker, Wade, Jaylin Davis, plus every free agent, waiver claim, and available trade to fill those holes).Sign Big Mike to a 2-year deal and hope Graterol is ready sooner rather than later, and we are solid around the diamond - Garver/Astudillo, Cron, Arraez, Polanco, Sano, Rosario/Buxton/Kepler, Cruz - Berrios, Thor, Pineda, Graterol, Perez/someone - maybe Gibson on a QO and then trade him mid-season next year when Graterol is ready.I think one nice thing that we've seen this summer is that we have enough depth to fill a 5th starter role as well as some long relief and maintain flexibility in the pen without inking long-term relief pitchers.Frankly (and I've said this before), I'd rather have 3-4 BP stalwarts and a rotation of 12 others filling the last 4 slots. 

#26 highlander

highlander

• 234 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 10:47 PM

I like Kiriloff and Lewis but, I like a WS Championship more. The Pirates are flushing themselves down the toilet. Go get Vasquez!
  • stringer bell likes this

#27 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,068 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 01:56 PM

I don't think the word expendable is a good word. He has value.....if that value can be converted into more value (which includes taking advantage of the banked wins this year), then he should be traded. If not, no, he should not be.

• SwainZag likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#28 FormerMinnasotan

FormerMinnasotan

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 679 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 02:58 PM

To answer question: yes Kirilloff is expendable. The reason is the Twins have another high rated corner outfield/1st baseman in Trevor Larnach who also is in AA right now. I mean it’s unlikely both Larnach and Kirilloff will be key contributors to the Twins in the future so it would be wise to sell either Kirilloff or Larnach while their stock is at its highest.

#29 Jacks02

Jacks02

Elizabethton Twins

• 23 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 03:23 PM

To answer question: yes Kirilloff is expendable. The reason is the Twins have another high rated corner outfield/1st baseman in Trevor Larnach who also is in AA right now. I mean it’s unlikely both Larnach and Kirilloff will be key contributors to the Twins in the future so it would be wise to sell either Kirilloff or Larnach while their stock is at its highest.

Except Rosario isn't signed long term, nor is Cron.

Could put one in LF and one at 1B eventually.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#30 tvagle

tvagle

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,755 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 03:39 PM

I don't care very much for the term "expendable". In the right deal, any player is expendable. It makes the term next to meaningless.

...Kirilloff's not expendable. But he's one of the few conceivable chips to use if going after the top end pitching talent that we didn't think we could obtain reliably in the draft. There's no sense in waiting forever. The window of contention is open.

Why must everything be so contentious when it comes to windows being open or closed?

• ashbury, Mike Sixel and nicksaviking like this
Is it 2020 yet?

#31 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,879 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 30 July 2019 - 03:53 PM

Why must everything be so contentious when it comes to windows being open or closed?

Apparently you don't live in a house with a spouse who wants to crank up the air conditioning, while you want all the fresh air that comes from the windows being open. Or, vice versa. :)

• Mike Sixel and tvagle like this

I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.

#32 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,550 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 03:58 PM

I think I would consider Kirilloff my most valuable trading chip. More valuable than Lewis at this point in time. I'm basing this on the assumption that the FO/staff consider Kirilloff as having the best Hit tool in the system...by a significant margin.

That's an assumption that I don't know to be true. But it's realistic...and, if that's how the club evaluates Kirilloff, then there are very few scenarios that would warrant parting with him. The hit tool trumps everything...by a mile. See Luis Arraez. 

Edited by jkcarew, 30 July 2019 - 03:59 PM.

#33 jaimedude2

jaimedude2

• 1,375 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 04:06 PM

The only play I am traind Kirloff for is the Pittsburgh closer .

• highlander likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alex kirilloff, noah syndergaard, royce lewis, max kepler, eddie rosario