Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Game Recap (7/28): Bats Bounce Back Behind Gibson’s Strong Outing

kyle gibson miguel sano jorge polanco max kepler jonathan schoop
  • Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,907 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 07:25 PM

Would have been probably professionally ill-advised, if not irresponsible, for Romo to do what he did...if not for the scheduled off-day tomorrow. That gave him the opportunity to make the decision he made.

Why would it have been ill advised?

#22 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,550 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 07:42 PM

Why would it have been ill advised?

Well, he got little-to-no sleep in getting himself to Chicago in the wee hours today (this has been reported). Then turns around and travels back to Miami this evening...and has to make himself available less than 24 hours after his return to perform in a pennant race. That would have been the scenario without the scheduled day off. I’m pretty confident he would not have made the trip if not for the scheduled off day tomorrow.

Edited by jkcarew, 28 July 2019 - 07:44 PM.

#23 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 08:05 PM

Five runs before recording an out? Unreal. Great to see Gibby pitch well with the lead. Here's a quick look at some highlights.

• USAFChief, MN_ExPat and DannySD like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#24 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,885 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 28 July 2019 - 08:15 PM

What was your favorite Carlos Torres moment?

Well, there was that one time. I still remember it well. As if it was yesterday. Or, maybe the day before. Memory is funny like that.

• USAFChief, Hosken Bombo Disco, IndianaTwin and 4 others like this

I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.

#25 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,907 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 08:33 PM

Well, he got little-to-no sleep in getting himself to Chicago in the wee hours today (this has been reported). Then turns around and travels back to Miami this evening...and has to make himself available less than 24 hours after his return to perform in a pennant race. That would have been the scenario without the scheduled day off. I’m pretty confident he would not have made the trip if not for the scheduled off day tomorrow.

I mean there are trauma surgeons that work 30 hours straight in disaster zones. And they're saving lives.
The human body can handle more than a late night 30 hours before a 3 hour baseball game.
He would have been just fine.
  • pbrezeasap and MN_ExPat like this

#26 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,071 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 08:49 PM

I just can't believe people have an issue with Romo being at the game today. I really don't get it. He's a Twin now. The deal was done. And he wanted to join his team right away. And be with and get to know his new 'mates. And he's excited and wants to be here. So ... why is that a problem? I think it's great and am glad he feels that way. 

• ashbury, pbrezeasap, twinsnorth49 and 3 others like this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#27 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,552 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 28 July 2019 - 09:07 PM

Was Romo in the bullpen today? Twins wasted a plane ticket, could have just left him in Miami and met him there.

Reverse jinx, prevention of Murphy's Law, call it whatever you want. Having him available just in case prevented "just in case" from happening.

• ashbury likes this

#28 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,989 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 09:17 PM

Was Romo in the bullpen today? Twins wasted a plane ticket, could have just left him in Miami and met him there.

Yes, because a team with an operating budget somewhere around $300m a year should definitely prioritize an $800 plane ticket.

Also, maybe they should limit the number of player bats that can go on the plane to save on fuel.

• SQUIRREL, ashbury, twinsnorth49 and 5 others like this

#29 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• 11,793 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 10:02 PM

Not enough mention of Sano going oppo on that home run. That's an exciting development if he can add that to his attack with some regularity.

His approach the last few weeks has been great to watch.
  • Brock Beauchamp, ashbury, big dog and 5 others like this

#30 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,397 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 05:55 AM

Romo being able to spend the off day with teammates will also be a benefit. I’m guessing he’ll be eating with and sharing a row on the plane with either Johnson, Garver, or Castro, for example.

#31 blindeke

blindeke

• 513 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 06:34 AM

LOL that's true.

• bighat likes this

#32 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,069 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 29 July 2019 - 06:59 AM

Yes, because a team with an operating budget somewhere around $300m a year should definitely prioritize an $800 plane ticket.

Also, maybe they should limit the number of player bats that can go on the plane to save on fuel.

I was kinda joking about that, I know that a RT flight from Chicago-MIA isn't much for an MLB team. Just thought it was kinda funny that - of all places - the Twins go to Miami today.

• Brock Beauchamp likes this

#33 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,447 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 29 July 2019 - 09:05 AM

Well, there was that one time. I still remember it well. As if it was yesterday. Or, maybe the day before. Memory is funny like that.

His appearances all blur together for me, so much so that I can’t pick one specific moment.
  • ashbury likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#34 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,867 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 09:21 AM

Romo being able to spend the off day with teammates will also be a benefit.

Miami is hosting their final game in the series against the D-Backs tonight—so he might even get to meet Eduardo Escobar today! Rumor has it that the Twins players have something up their sleeves* for Escobar...

* heard something about it on the radio broadcast yesterday

Edited by Hosken Bombo Disco, 29 July 2019 - 09:23 AM.

He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#35 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,312 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 09:25 AM

I was kinda joking about that, I know that a RT flight from Chicago-MIA isn't much for an MLB team. Just thought it was kinda funny that - of all places - the Twins go to Miami today.

I'm fairly certain the Twins will allow Romo to fly on the charter with them going forward, so a round trip ticket is/was unnecessary.

• ashbury likes this

#36 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,312 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 09:27 AM

His appearances all blur together for me, so much so that I can’t pick one specific moment.

In this edition of "Major League Baseball Players Live Different Lives Than the Rest of Us," we're having fun with the experience of a guy who just made $12,000 for four days of eating sunflower seeds and watching games.

• ashbury, USAFChief, twinsnorth49 and 3 others like this

#37 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,538 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 11:26 AM

Of course that would be one way, not round trip.
  • bighat likes this

#38 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,550 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 03:07 PM

I mean there are trauma surgeons that work 30 hours straight in disaster zones. And they're saving lives.
The human body can handle more than a late night 30 hours before a 3 hour baseball game.
He would have been just fine.

Not really the point, is it? Professional athletes, baseball players, pitchers...surgeons...perform under those circumstances all the time. But not when they have a choice. When teams have to travel the evening before game days, they routinely send that starting pitcher to travel ahead of the team.

#39 70charger

70charger

• 4,412 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 03:15 PM

In this edition of "Major League Baseball Players Live Different Lives Than the Rest of Us," we're having fun with the experience of a guy who just made $12,000 for four days of eating sunflower seeds and watching games.

Hell, I'd do that for $11,000...

• twinsnorth49 likes this

#40 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• 11,793 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 03:30 PM

Hell, I'd do that for $11,000...

Did you mean to add all those zero's?

• ashbury likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kyle gibson, miguel sano, jorge polanco, max kepler, jonathan schoop