Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Game Thread: Twins @ White Sox, 07/28/19, 1:10pm CST

game thread twins white sox
  • Please log in to reply
260 replies to this topic

#1 twinssporto

twinssporto

Don't try pitching around me!

• 2,121 posts
  • LocationTonka

Posted 28 July 2019 - 10:02 AM

489265.jpg

Good morning and welcome back to Game Thread central! We have another great game on tap today against the struggling Chicago White Sox. I think the Twins will bounce back today in a big way to take 3 of 4 from Chicago. With the White Sox trotting Mr. Covey out on the mound today I would look for another multi-homer game from the Twins. My pick to click today is Nelson Cruz.

I apologize for the brevity of my post today but I was up in Alexandria, MN bass fishing with my son yesterday and got extremely sunburned. My face looks like Rocky Balboa after going the distance with Apollo Creed in Rocky I...The big news besides my sunburn is the trade the Twins pulled off with the Florida Marlins.  Welcome aboard Mr. Romo.  Please help our bullpen! I also hope to see some major trade deadline deals come through in the next couple of days. Don't blow this opportunity Falvey!!!!

Just a quick insider note regarding Romo. My sister has worked for the Florida Marlins for almost 20 years and gets to know the players well. She called me last night to to say Romo's a great guy and the players in the club house really like him.  She said we are getting a great leader and pitcher that still has a lot left in the tank. She also said Chris Vallimont could be a great pickup. I guess we will find out about these two soon enough.

The division race is tightening up but I'm really not that concerned. I've posted this before that I would gladly take the existing Twins team over the Cleveland Indians team any day of the week. These two teams are heading in opposite directions for the next 3-5 years (full disclosure, I would like a couple of Clevelands pitchers but that's it).

Let's go Twins!! I need to go find some Aloe...

The starting lineups today:

TWINS:

1. Max Kepler RF

2. J. Polanco SS

3. Nelson Cruz DH

4. L. Arraez 3B

5. M. Sano 1B

6. M. Gonzalez LF

7. J. Schoop 2B

8. Jason Castro C

9. B. Buxton CF

SP: Kyle Gibson (9-4) 4.24 ERA 

WHITE SOX:

1. Leury Garcia RF

2. Ryan Goins SS

3. Yoan Moncada 3B

4. Jon Jay LF

5. Eloy Jimenez DH

6. W. Castillo C

7. AJ Reed 1B

8. Y. Sanchez 2B

9. Adam Engel CF

SP: Dylan Covey R (1-6) 6.04 ERA

Weather: 87 degrees and a 2% chance of rain.

• SQUIRREL, Blake, Jerr and 9 others like this
On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

#2 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,898 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 10:09 AM

Something wrong with Rosario?
  • mickeymental likes this

#3 twinssporto

twinssporto

Don't try pitching around me!

• 2,121 posts
  • LocationTonka

Posted 28 July 2019 - 10:45 AM

I think Rocco is just giving him a rest day.

On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

#4 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,497 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 28 July 2019 - 10:47 AM

Win today and it's 3/4 on the road against a division foe.Will take that all series, every series.

• Dantes929, Danchat, mickeymental and 3 others like this

#5 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,987 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 10:47 AM

He has played in every game since he returned from the IL in the middle of July so likely just a scheduled day off.
  • Blake likes this

#6 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,987 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 10:48 AM

Win today and it's 3/4 on the road against a division foe. Will take that all series, every series.

Yep, Gibson just needs to keep his head screwed on straight, throw bloody strikes, and let the offense pound a bad opposing starter.
  • SQUIRREL, birdwatcher, Blake and 2 others like this

#7 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,030 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 10:51 AM

Yep, Gibson just needs to keep his head screwed on straight, throw bloody strikes, and let the offense pound a bad opposing starter.

I would hope someone is giving him these instructions exactly.

That said, I've opted to not go to the game today. I can't take it. Plus, eek, the heat is high today, depending on which online weather source you use, and the shady seats are the worst seats. imo.

• Blake likes this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#8 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,030 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 10:53 AM

489265.jpg

Just a quick insider note regarding Romo. My sister has worked for the Florida Marlins for almost 20 years and gets to know the players well. 

Huh ... have you told us before you have this kind of insider information at your fingertips? Tell us more?

Sorry about the sunburn ... been there, done that. Aloe with vitamin E ... good stuff to use.

• Blake, nicksaviking and twinssporto like this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#9 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

bomba stick

• 8,569 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 10:54 AM

I hope we win!

#10 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

bomba stick

• 8,569 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 10:56 AM

Was there really a Rocky I?

But who am i to criticize...
  • twinssporto and Don Walcott like this

#11 PDX Twin

PDX Twin

Portland Beavers

• 1,364 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 July 2019 - 11:12 AM

Another Dylan C. in the CWS rotation? Let's treat this one the same way we did the other!

• MVP Nick Punto likes this

It's great to get out of the cellar ... as long as you bring something with you.

#12 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,987 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 11:14 AM

Was there really a Rocky I?

When it was released, it was called The Great Rocky.

#13 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,069 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 11:22 AM

Today could be the day Cleveland pulls even in the Division race, despite a host of injuries to their frontline starters.

Maybe Falvine will pull a Jaime Garcia and deal Romo for some slop after an outing.

#14 Diesel

Diesel

Ft Myers Miracle

• 313 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 11:24 AM

489265.jpg

Just a quick insider note regarding Romo. My sister has worked for the Florida Marlins for almost 20 years and gets to know the players well. She called me last night to to say Romo's a great guy and the players in the club house really like him.  She said we are getting a great leader and pitcher that still has a lot left in the tank. She also said Chris Vallimont could be a great pickup. I guess we will find out about these two soon enough.

After the Romo trade, I was thinking of past trades of Marlins prospects/players to other teams. Could there be a legitimate championship contender of ex-Marlins? A starting rotation with Luis Castillo and Chris Paddack, Yelich in the outfield, and Brad Hand as your closer would not be a bad start
  • twinssporto likes this

#15 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,898 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 11:27 AM

He has played in every game since he returned from the IL in the middle of July so likely just a scheduled day off.

IMO, I think it's time to put the pedal down. Cycling rest was a good luxury when we had a big lead. That's not the case now.
Playing baseball isn't exactly coal mining. I'm not saying it's not a taxing grind, but it shouldn't be too much for a young athlete to handle.

I'd be curious to know if Cleveland has been running out their best 9 every day during this impressive run?

And two, if a scheduled day off is a must, why not do it against a lefty?

Edited by Mr. Brooks, 28 July 2019 - 11:28 AM.

• SF Twins Fan and Bandit34 like this

#16 Diesel

Diesel

Ft Myers Miracle

• 313 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 11:28 AM

Today could be the day Cleveland pulls even in the Division race, despite a host of injuries to their frontline starters.

Maybe Falvine will pull a Jaime Garcia and deal Romo for some slop after an outing.

Getting Zack Littell in that trade was a steal. Garcia is already out of the league
  • birdwatcher, big dog and wabene like this

#17 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,898 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 11:30 AM

Getting Zack Littell in that trade was a steal. Garcia is already out of the league

Don't let facts get in the way of a good "Falvey is incompetent" narrative.
  • birdwatcher, Blake, gil4 and 4 others like this

#18 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,987 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 11:32 AM

IMO, I think it's time to put the pedal down. Cycling rest was a good luxury when we had a big lead. That's not the case now.
Playing baseball isn't exactly coal mining. I'm not saying it's not a taxing grind, but it shouldn't be too much for a young athlete to handle.

I'd be curious to know if Cleveland has been running out their best 9 every day during this impressive run?

And two, if a scheduled day off is a must, why not do it against a lefty?

1. Rosario’s L/R splits are pretty small for a LHB.

2. The Twins haven’t faced a lefty in several days and no lefties are scheduled in Miami.
  • birdwatcher, Blake and wabene like this

#19 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• 3,069 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 11:36 AM

Littell is pretty amazing.

#20 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,898 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 11:36 AM

1. Rosario’s L/R splits are pretty small for a LHB.

2. The Twins haven’t faced a lefty in several days and no lefties are scheduled in Miami.

Don't they have a day off tomorrow?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: game thread, twins, white sox