Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Royce Lewis Promoted to Double-A Pensacola

royce lewis
  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,804 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 08:08 PM

Following the Ft. Myers Miracle game on Saturday night, Twins prospect Royce Lewis was promoted to Double-A Pensacola.It's been a busy few days for the Twins in terms of prospects. In the last couple of weeks, the Twins have had top prospects Trevor Larnach, Ryan Jeffers and Jhoan Duran promoted to Double-A Pensacola. Following the announcement of the Twins trade of Lewin Diaz, the Twins announced that top prospect Royce Lewis will join other Twins top prospect in Pensacola.

It is quite unusual for the Twins PR staff to announce minor league promotions, but Royce Lewis is an obvious exception.

Lewis, the #1 overall pick in the 2017 MLB Draft, turned 20 in early June. He ends his time with the Miracle hitting .238/.289/.376 (.665) with 17 doubles and 10 home runs.

In 19 games this month, he has hit .288 with four doubles and four home runs.

Click here to view the article

#2 IndyTwinsFan

IndyTwinsFan

Ft Myers Miracle

• 469 posts
  • LocationHoosier Land (but not a Hoosier)

Posted 27 July 2019 - 08:23 PM

Good for him! I trust he's up to the challenge.
  • Danchat likes this

#3 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,927 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 08:58 PM

wow ... did not see this coming given his slow first half ... but good for him!

• Dman and Doctor Wu like this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#4 beckmt

beckmt

• 2,511 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 08:59 PM

Wonder if moving him along this fast is a need to see.Both for his trade value (closer to the majors) and to see if he is ready if they trade one of Romero or Buxton this winter for pitching.My guess is whether they can sign either to an extension early in the winter.

#5 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,719 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 09:01 PM

Glad to see it, and great for Lewis. To me it’s a signal he’s not going anywhere.
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#6 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,564 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 09:52 PM

Although his over all line is problematic, he has a .864 OPS in July.Also 10 home runs in a little over half a season at in the Florida state league isn't nothing to sneeze at (8 of those coming since June began), especially from an up-the-middle player.  

I think being out of Ft. Myers will help Lewis quite a bit. Obviously the Twins like his approach lately, or this promotion would not have happened. 

• birdwatcher and Dman like this

#7 darin617

darin617

• 1,445 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 10:08 PM

Was the promotion earned or are they hoping for the best.

• D.C Twins likes this

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,804 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 10:25 PM

Wonder if moving him along this fast is a need to see.Both for his trade value (closer to the majors) and to see if he is ready if they trade one of Romero or Buxton this winter for pitching.My guess is whether they can sign either to an extension early in the winter.

No... What he does in 3 games at AA is going to have absolutely no effect on his trade value... 

• gbg and MN_ExPat like this

#9 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,626 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 11:41 PM

Wait, we’re back to trading Buxton again? I thought we were trading Sano. It’s really hard to keep track from week to week.

In all seriousness. Buxton isn’t going anywhere.

I like the aggression on this one.

Edited by Darius, 28 July 2019 - 12:17 AM.

• gunnarthor, Dantes929, jokin and 6 others like this

#10 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 778 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 08:20 AM

Wait, we’re back to trading Buxton again? I thought we were trading Sano. It’s really hard to keep track from week to week.

In all seriousness. Buxton isn’t going anywhere.

I like the aggression on this one.

My thoughts exactly. I can't see a Buxton trade at all. And any value that Romero had has plummeted this season.

#11 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,927 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 09:11 AM

This is good news. The front office thinks he's ready for AA. That's a bit surprising, but good.
  • PseudoSABR likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#12 wabene

wabene

Wahoo

• 1,060 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 28 July 2019 - 09:35 AM

This guy is going to get pushed like Buxton was and likely will struggle just like Buxton. Hopefully then he will figure it out. Will be fun to watch for some and excruciating for others!
  • twins1095 likes this

#13 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 9,923 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 10:19 AM

I suspect that he earned his promotion. He's been better in July and has probably figured out some of the mechanics that were affecting him earlier in the season. The team might want to see how he does against AA pitchers and/or getting out of the pitching friendly FSL.

• PseudoSABR likes this

#14 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,537 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 10:41 AM

Concur that the FO will look for every bit of evidence to justify aggressiveness with Lewis. He’s been better offensively for a few weeks, and off he goes. I wouldn’t be surprised if the bat struggles a bit at Pensacola for a while, but if it gets too bad, they can always promote him to Rochester, where everyone hits (see Jaylin Davis, or Jimmy Kerrigan. Or anybody.)

#15 Dan In Real Life

Dan In Real Life

Elizabethton Twins

• 13 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 11:01 AM

Hmm. Might be a good time to visit Pensacola.
  • Oldgoat_MN likes this

#16 gman

gman

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 238 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 12:23 PM

2020 could really be interesting for new bats coming to Minnesota.

• birdwatcher likes this

#17 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,803 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 28 July 2019 - 03:56 PM

Glad to see it, and great for Lewis. To me it’s a signal he’s not going anywhere.

Certainly not before this trade deadline - you wouldn't jerk a player around like that, telling him to pack for Pensacola and then to pack for some different AA city a few days later.

Or, if you're cynical, you wouldn't pay the moving expenses, instead letting the next team do that. <eye roll>

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.

#18 Alex Schieferdecker

Alex Schieferdecker

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 63 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 07:07 PM

Is there a top Twins prospect who is not in Pensacola right now? 

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#19 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• 1,955 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 07:18 PM

2020 could really be interesting for new bats coming to Minnesota.

I think (hope) we will have some interesting new arms ... not so sure about bats. Where would you put them? Arreaz takes over 2B for Schoop. Every other position is set with perhaps the exception of back-up catcher. Someone will get playing time as the 4th outfielder but that's about it.

#20 D.C Twins

D.C Twins

Ft Myers Miracle

• 405 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 09:28 PM

I continue to agree with Law's assessment of Lewis unfortunately... I'm not at all convinced that whatever his underlying problem is (probably his swing)...has been fixed. This seems to be rushed with a sprinkle of wishful thinking...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: royce lewis