Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Game Recap (7/26): Pineda Fuels Twins Easy Win In Chicago

michael pineda max kepler nelson cruz miguel sano lewis thorpe
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• 955 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 08:31 AM

What the Indians, Giants and Cardinals are doing right now is pretty damn impressive. Let's see who looks pretty damn impressive in August. I don't know who it will be but it will probably be three different teams.

Hopefully, one of those three will be the Twins.
  • Riverbrian and DocBauer like this

#22 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,415 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 09:04 AM

Does anyone have any information on the status of La Tortuga?You see him on the bench for every game, seemingly having a good time supporting his mates.Sure doesn't look all that injured.

Could the plan be to keep him on the bench until August 11?Then send him out for a 20-day rehab so he is back on September 1 when rosters expand.Meanwhile, he could be available at any time should a need arise for a second catcher.

#23 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,588 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 09:20 AM

Pineda now has 10 quality starts out of 20 which is about league average for all starters and exactly equal to Noah Syndergaard. I prefer to cherry pick and say that since May 11th he has 9 quality starts out of 13 which is way better than average and top of the rotation territory.

• Danchat, DocBauer and Original Whizzinator like this

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#24 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,631 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 09:21 AM

Does anyone have any information on the status of La Tortuga? You see him on the bench for every game, seemingly having a good time supporting his mates. Sure doesn't look all that injured.

Could the plan be to keep him on the bench until August 11? Then send him out for a 20-day rehab so he is back on September 1 when rosters expand. Meanwhile, he could be available at any time should a need arise for a second catcher.

I thought I heard he had resumed baseball activities but could be confusing that with someone else, as I heard it during the Yankees series and I was pretty drunk for that entire set of games.
  • DocBauer, rdehring and MVP Nick Punto like this

#25 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,588 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 09:40 AM

I think we tend to spend too much time discussing hard or soft schedule. 

The hardness or softness of schedule is a moving target. 

Play the Tigers while you are playing like crap... They will sweep you. 

Play the Giants while they are winning everything and they will sweep you. 

The Padre fans were probably pretty excited to see the Giants on the schedule around the first of July. In hindsight... not so much. That was about the time the Giants got on a month long roll.  

I'll leave assessing the schedule strength to others and look at them skeptically each time they try.

What the Indians, Giants and Cardinals are doing right now is pretty damn impressive. Let's see who looks pretty damn impressive in August. I don't know who it will be but it will probably be three different teams. 

I agree completely with many of your points. Pretty much every season has top teams losing or getting swept by bottom teams. When the Twins couldn't buy a victory against any East team last decade the last place Royals seemed to do pretty well against some of them.You absolutely have to take care of business when playing bad teams and you can't assume Cleveland will lose against the good teams. My all time favorite example of this was in 2006 when we were tied with the Tigers and 3 to go.We were playing a pretty good White Sox team and Tigers were playing the 100 loss Royals.Everyone was saying we absolutely had to sweep the White Sox to have a chance at the division title. We ended up winning 1 game but the Tigers, with everything to gain, got swept by the Royals.... At home!However, over time schedule does matter.Yes, give credit to the Indians for their winning streak but it has been against the bad teams. Twins giving up ground while playing the Yankees, A;s, etc, was predictable. Twins are winning 70% of their games against losing record teams. Over time those stats matter.Throw them away for short term.Twins should do better in August but whether they do and whether it is enough remains to be seen. They do play the Indians 10 more games.  

• Original Whizzinator likes this

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#26 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• 462 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 09:41 AM

Its amazing how good the bullpen looks when the starting pitcher goes 7 strong... 

Keep it up boys!

• Jerr, DocBauer, Original Whizzinator and 1 other like this

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#27 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,415 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 09:49 AM

I thought I heard he had resumed baseball activities but could be confusing that with someone else, as I heard it during the Yankees series and I was pretty drunk for that entire set of games.

When he is available, expect he will be the odd man out.Expect either a rehab assignment or just optioned to Rochester until September 1.

#28 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,412 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 27 July 2019 - 10:21 AM

Pineda has been surprisingly solid.

I don't find it surprising at all. He had over a year off baseball and scuffled a bit. After a couple of months of scuffling, he's good again.

This is very similar to Sano's situation. He was injured for the last 2-3 months of 2017, had major surgery which rendered him unable to work out during that off-season, was therefore out of shape at the beginning of 2018 and never got things together. It was somewhat better for him during the most recent off-season but then there was the fluky heel injury and he had essentially no spring training. When he finally was activated the rust was painfully apparent, especially compared to everyone else who was in mid-season form. Now that he has had a chance to get his timing and conditioning up to speed we have been seeing a marked improvement in his performance. There's good reason to think not only that he won't regress but that he can continue to progress even further both at the plate and in the field.

It is beyond me that so many people seem to think that the issues he had with his health were insignificant and feel that he should be traded or even, as many have advocated, DFA'd. He has 50-HR-per-season talent and a cannon for an arm. He's not a perfect fielder but he has the ability to be the best third baseman in baseball.

Edited by Nine of twelve, 27 July 2019 - 10:26 AM.

• Brock Beauchamp, DocBauer, Original Whizzinator and 1 other like this

#29 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,619 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 July 2019 - 11:22 AM

Pineda now has 10 quality starts out of 20 which is about league average for all starters and exactly equal to Noah Syndergaard. I prefer to cherry pick and say that since May 11th he has 9 quality starts out of 13 which is way better than average and top of the rotation territory.

Out of the 3 pending free agents he's #1 on my priority list to sign this off-season as it stands today.

Big Mike
Odorizzi

Gibson
  • Original Whizzinator likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: michael pineda, max kepler, nelson cruz, miguel sano, lewis thorpe