Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Game Thread: Twins vs. Yankees, 7/24/19, 7:10pm CST

twins yankees game thread
  • Please log in to reply
584 replies to this topic

#581 Jham

Jham

• 2,219 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:01 PM

I was actually encouraged by this series. Yankees are good. We played right with them. For the most part we played bei well. If we play this well the rest of the year, we'll be just fine.

*If we merely rose up for one series and still feel a little short, we may have issues.

**Yankees usually have, and appeared actually to have another gear or two they can access away any time. So the series also may not have been as close as it looked...

#582 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,002 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:05 PM

It’s just that, if he pulls him after the 3rd, then he has three guys (smeltzer, the new guy and even may) to fill 6 innings. Certainly not ideal situation but one of those 3 (probably smeltzer) could have worn it for a few innings (kind of like littell in TB). I just didn’t like it so early but it probably wouldn’t have mattered anyway. Maybe a different scenario earlier in the year or if CLE wasn’t breathing down our necks.

I doubt anyone thought that if Odorizzi could only make it three that Smeltzer would be just fine for four.
  • luckylager likes this

#583 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,954 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:09 PM

It’s just that, if he pulls him after the 3rd, then he has three guys (smeltzer, the new guy and even may) to fill 6 innings. Certainly not ideal situation but one of those 3 (probably smeltzer) could have worn it for a few innings (kind of like littell in TB). I just didn’t like it so early but it probably wouldn’t have mattered anyway. Maybe a different scenario earlier in the year or if CLE wasn’t breathing down our necks.

The Twins have to pick up and play tomorrow in Chicago. You can't send Smeltzer out there for five innings if he's throwing 30 pitches an inning.

It was a hard call but I can't blame Baldelli for leaning on Odorizzi in one game when pulling him could have led to disastrous results tomorrow and maybe the next day against a bad team.

Again, blame the front office for putting Baldelli in the situation where he literally has one good reliever to get through a series facing possibly the best team in the American League.

#584 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

bomba stick

• 8,567 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:38 PM

Sorry i missed the fun.

It sounded like we might be getting back in this thing when last i checked in...

#585 Aggies7

Aggies7

I have 1 warning point

• 11,219 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 25 July 2019 - 08:38 AM

I doubt anyone thought that if Odorizzi could only make it three that Smeltzer would be just fine for four.

Why? Odorizzi has been pretty terrible for what seems like months. If that's the case then nobody would ever be brought in to the game except for rogers.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: twins, yankees, game thread