Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Game Recap (7/22): Twins Turn Triple Play, Mitch Garver Homers Twice in Win Over Yankees

mitch garver lewis thorpe jorge polanco nelson cruz max kepler
  • Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#21 jz7233

jz7233

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 623 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 07:10 AM

This win was handed by Sabathia early in the game and saved by the bullpen. Twins needs to pitch a lot better to have any chance to win the next two.

#22 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,711 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 07:33 AM

Hey, Falvine. You want the the fans/media to forget the last two months? Make a trade for a reliever today after beating the Yankees last night. Tha fan base would be totally re-energized (I know I would be).
  • Don Walcott and KFEY93 like this

#23 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 204 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 07:34 AM

Duffy and Thorpe . . nice job guys.

• Don Walcott likes this

#24 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 204 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 07:38 AM

I don't think Tyler Duffy was too happy with himself when he couldn't find the zip code for 1B there on the potential double play. That punch out with the fastball to end the inning was awesome. Keep it rollin' guys.

• MVP Nick Punto likes this

#25 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 204 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 07:42 AM

Polanco really put a charge into his homer in the first, that was a mighty swing. Twins giving CC the whiplash treatment for once.

#26 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,147 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 08:09 AM

The rarely used assignment of the win to the relief pitcher deemed more effective gives Thorpe the win instead of Duffey, who got all three outs and was the pitcher that finished the 5th with the lead that was never relinquished. 

http://m.mlb.com/glo...ndard-stats/win

As it should be. Good job to the scorer.

• ashbury, nicksaviking and MN_ExPat like this

#27 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,544 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 08:20 AM

Twins have 4 players with at least 20 HR. Before July 25.

#28 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 689 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 08:40 AM

Another request? When you post this, list the twins HR total year to date?

2019 Twins are at 187 Bombas through July 22. 

My goodness...

• h2oface, MN_ExPat and Nine of twelve like this

#29 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,321 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 08:43 AM

I read in LEN's column that Arraez told Schoop he was stepping on 3rd and turning it if it came his way. Back in the 90s I believe Gaetti called a triple play before it happened too. Props to Luis for having the stones to sprint toward the bag and make an off balance throw to Schoop. Unbelievable turn by Schoop. In addition to being a sensational play, it was a confidence building game changer.

Actually, I read that it was Schoop that prepped Arraez to be ready for the possibility. But yeah, it was Arraez' decision to go for it, and he did. Kudos all around. That was team work.

https://www.mlb.com/...against-yankees

• USAFChief, Reider, MN_ExPat and 2 others like this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#30 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,990 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 23 July 2019 - 08:52 AM

Actually, I read that it was Schoop that prepped Arraez to be ready for the possibility.

"Chance favors the prepared mind." -- Louis Pasteur

"How can you think and hit at the same time? But fielding, that's another story." -- Not Yogi Berra, But Should Be

• DocBauer, Don Walcott and Nine of twelve like this

I'm not slurring my words, I'm talking in cursive.

#31 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• 1,685 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 08:55 AM

Watched Tom's recap.  Always good to see the stuff besides the homers.

Duffey--whoah.  Between surviving the bullpen purge (so far) and this performance, he should be feeling pretty good.  In addition to coming in with a man on, he had a couple of screw ups and still kept his composure.

Given Berrios' reaction to the Morin deal, I am not so sure these guys sit around pining for outside help the way we do.  I think they want to see each other succeed.  I'm almost thinking that opening up the spots on the 40 man was done to provide catnip for the minor leaguers not on the roster.

Seems like Garver thoroughly outplayed All-Star Gary Sanchez in this one.

• ashbury, nicksaviking, Reider and 2 others like this

#32 PDX Twin

PDX Twin

Portland Beavers

• 1,381 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 23 July 2019 - 09:01 AM

I read in LEN's column that Arraez told Schoop he was stepping on 3rd and turning it if it came his way. Back in the 90s I believe Gaetti called a triple play before it happened too. Props to Luis for having the stones to sprint toward the bag and make an off balance throw to Schoop. Unbelievable turn by Schoop. In addition to being a sensational play, it was a confidence building game changer. 

Others have described Arraez as simply "a ballplayer." I couldn't agree more. In addition to being a hitting machine, he does the little things well most of the time and makes the occasional unexpected play. It seems like he doesn't have the most talent on the field in terms of speed, throwing arm, strength, etc., but he uses what he has at maximum efficiency to be a very good major-league player. We need a few of those sprinkled in with the (often underachieving) uber-talents!

• stringer bell, Reider, DocBauer and 1 other like this

It's great to get out of the cellar ... as long as you bring something with you.

#33 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,643 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 09:07 AM

As it should be. Good job to the scorer.

In order for the scorer to give the win to Thorpe they must determine that Duffey’s performance was both brief and ineffective. I think the reality is very different.

Duffey came in facing the tying run and needing to put out a fire. He faced the heart of the order with no outs from the stretch.

WPA

Duffey 0.111
Thorpe 0.075

It really doesn’t matter that Thorpe pitches well or possibly better. The determination needs to be about Duffey’s performance.

Do you see it as both brief and ineffective?

The example given is when a reliever gives up 3 runs and then their team retakes the lead. Is that how you see Duffey’s contribution?
  • Dantes929, h2oface and wabene like this

#34 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,424 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 09:09 AM

I only got to watch the second inning, in which Perez could not have looked more dominant. He was painting the corners and pulling the strings perfectly on so many off speed pitches. I was surprised tracking the game on my phone that he was having so much trouble with the zone in every other inning.

• nokomismod likes this

#35 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Ft Myers Miracle

• 479 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 09:11 AM

I only got to watch the second inning, in which Perez could not have looked more dominant. He was painting the corners and pulling the strings perfectly on so many off speed pitches. I was surprised tracking the game on my phone that he was having so much trouble with the zone in every other inning.

He looked equally as bad in the 1st inning, sans the triple play.

• USAFChief and bighat like this

#36 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,147 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 09:14 AM

In order for the scorer to give the win to Thorpe they must determine that Duffey’s performance was both brief and ineffective. I think the reality is very different.

Duffey came in facing the tying run and needing to put out a fire. He faced the heart of the order with no outs from the stretch.

WPA

Duffey 0.111
Thorpe 0.075

It really doesn’t matter that Thorpe pitches well or possibly better. The determination needs to be about Duffey’s performance.

The example given is when a reliever gives up 3 runs and then their team retakes the lead. Is that how you see Duffey’s contribution?

MLB’s own site is slightly contradictory on this:

“First, a starting pitcher must pitch at least five innings (in a traditional game of nine innings or longer) to qualify for the win. If he does not, the official scorer awards the win to the most effective relief pitcher.

There is also a rarely used clause where an official scorer can deem a relief pitcher's appearance "brief and ineffective."

My understanding has always been that the scorer can award the W to any relief pitcher if the starter fails to go five innings, they just usually default to the pitcher who followed the starter.
  • USAFChief, nicksaviking, h2oface and 1 other like this

#37 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,424 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 09:16 AM

WPA

Duffey 0.111
Thorpe 0.075

Duffey's effectiveness would only be considered if the starting pitcher went five innings and would have qualified for the win. If the starting pitcher didn't go five innings then the win goes to which pitcher in the official scorer's judgment, was the most effective. 

Which is usually defaults to the guy who pitched immediately after the starter.

• Brock Beauchamp, h2oface, bighat and 1 other like this

#38 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,646 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 23 July 2019 - 09:18 AM

MLB’s own site is slightly contradictory on this:

“First, a starting pitcher must pitch at least five innings (in a traditional game of nine innings or longer) to qualify for the win. If he does not, the official scorer awards the win to the most effective relief pitcher.

There is also a rarely used clause where an official scorer can deem a relief pitcher's appearance "brief and ineffective."

My understanding has always been that the scorer can award the W to any relief pitcher if the starter fails to go five innings, they just usually default to the pitcher who followed the starter.

If the starter doesn't go five, They often award the W to the pitcher who throws the most innings. In some cases, the pitcher who got the most critical out(s). 

A case could be made for either Duffey or Thorpe last night. Personally, I thought it should go to Thorpe.

• jorgenswest, nicksaviking, stringer bell and 3 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#39 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,107 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 23 July 2019 - 09:20 AM

I think the magic dust Perez was using ran out a month ago. He's only really had one OK start in his last 7-8 appearances. If we can match him up against KC or Detroit he might get it done, and I think at this point the Twins are kinda stuck with Perez. I'm not thrilled about it but what can we do?

Great work from the pen to hang on to this lead. I predict Gibby brings his A-game tonight and gives the Twins a quality start. Would be ecstatic if the Twins could take this series.

• wabene likes this

#40 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,643 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 09:20 AM

Duffey's effectiveness would only be considered if the starting pitcher went five innings and would have qualified for the win. If the starting pitcher didn't go five innings then the win goes to which pitcher in the official scorer's judgment, was the most effective. 

Which is usually defaults to the guy who pitched immediately after the starter.

Thanks. So the scorer chose the reliever third in WPA. According to box score Duffey doesn’t even get credit for hold.
  • h2oface likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mitch garver, lewis thorpe, jorge polanco, nelson cruz, max kepler