Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Cody Stashak Promoted to Twins?

cody stashak
  • Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 11:06 PM

While there hasn't been anything officially announced, several sources have shared on social media that Cody Stashak will be joining the Minnesota Twins bullpen. Here's a quick package of highlights I put together from his time in Triple A:

The closest I could find to a confirmation is Dan Hayes of The Athletic wrote "Reports Sunday suggested the Twins will next turn to Triple-A Rochester right-hander Cody Stashak." 

Stashak has a 3.38 ERA, 1.05 WHIP and 12/6 K/9 over 50 2/3 innings between Pensacola and Rochester this season. He's struck out 71 batters and has walked just nine, an eye-popping 7.89 K:BB ratio.

*Zack Littell, who has pitched the last three consecutive days, is being sent back down to Rochester to make room on the 25-man roster.

• ashbury, Mike Frasier Law, nicksaviking and 6 others like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#2 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 11:13 PM

Wow, was I wrong. I thought Romero or Thorpe. Assume that optioning Cave is the corresponding move?

#3 TNTwinsFan

TNTwinsFan

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 11:21 PM

I like it. Let's see what he can do. Go get 'em kid! Best of luck!
  • Carole Keller, nicksaviking, Dman and 1 other like this

#4 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 23,702 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 11:53 PM

I think this is a good thing to do.

But I hope they still make a trade (or two), too.

• nicksaviking and In My La-Z-boy like this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#5 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• Twins Mods
  • 8,863 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 22 July 2019 - 12:24 AM

Uses up a 40-man roster spot. Not sure if it makes much sense.

#6 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,886 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 12:31 AM

Wow, was I wrong. I thought Romero or Thorpe. Assume that optioning Cave is the corresponding move?

IL for May, maybe?

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#7 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,886 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 12:31 AM

Neither does the current pen contingent make much sense.

• Thrylos, Twins33, David HK and 1 other like this

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#8 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 05:58 AM

Zack Littell, who pitched three consecutive days, is being sent back down.

• tarheeltwinsfan likes this

#9 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,296 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 22 July 2019 - 06:03 AM

I wouldn't be opposed to a Cave/Davis Rochester swap, either.

That kid deserves a cuppa.

Unless, he ain't on the 40 yet...

• TNTwinsFan likes this

#10 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 06:14 AM

Cave will go down today when they activate Buxton.

Exciting to see how Stashak will do.Maybe, just maybe Stashak will be that lightening in a bottle that will come up and do a great job out of the pen.As for Littell, really liked what I saw from him (most of the time) and expect he will be back and will be a very good bullpen arm in 2020.

Edited by rdehring, 22 July 2019 - 06:15 AM.

• nicksaviking, Dman, DocBauer and 2 others like this

#11 Original Whizzinator

Original Whizzinator

Wahoo

• Members
  • 787 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 22 July 2019 - 06:32 AM

With four spots open I'm sure this was part of the plan. This FO doesn't sit on underperformers like the last. That is welcome. I wager at least two of the remaining spots will be filled be players from outside the organization.
  • Thrylos, nicksaviking, Dman and 5 others like this

#12 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,296 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 22 July 2019 - 08:31 AM

With four spots open I'm sure this was part of the plan. This FO doesn't sit on underperformers like the last. That is welcome. I wager at least two of the remaining spots will be filled be players from outside the organization.

I think so, too.

I feel for Messrs. Morin and Magill, they were good all-around guys, and they did the job more often than not. But I think those moves are a precursor to a trade. Please, God, make it soon, before we dip behind the Tribe in the standings.

• Jham, Tomj14 and bighat like this

#13 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 08:36 AM

Still no official word on this move from the team, but Darren Wolfson of KSTP reported on Twitter that the "Twins will announce multiple moves across levels today with Cody Stashak joining the bullpen here." So it seems this is definitely happening.

Stashak was the focus of an article I wrote this winter on potential bullpen help from the prospects. I'm excited to see he's gained even more momentum since then and that he's getting a shot. Stepping in as the Yankees come to town and the bullpen is a bit beat down is not ideal, but it is what it is. I'm excited for him.

• Dman, ChrisKnutson, Doctor Wu and 1 other like this

#14 SwainZag

SwainZag

• Twins Mods
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 22 July 2019 - 08:38 AM

I think so, too.

I feel for Messrs. Morin and Magill, they were good all-around guys, and they did the job more often than not. But I think those moves are a precursor to a trade. Please, God, make it soon, before we dip behind the Tribe in the standings.

Well it will be in the next 9 days, that's for sure.And it takes two to tangle, it's not like a flurry of trades are being reported.Once the first move or two are made I am guessing things will start moving quickly.

• Danchat, DocBauer and rdehring like this

#15 Jham

Jham

• Members
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 08:38 AM

I think so, too.

But why do it now? Why not when we actually make trades? To try to squeeze a waiver fee? Could have used the arms last series and certainly this series.
  • USAFChief likes this

#16 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 14,622 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 08:40 AM

Great news, he's one of my favorite minor leaguers. He's averaging nearly 2 IP per appearance since his promotion to Rochester, they need to find someone who can go multiple innings in non-garbage time situations to take some of the pressure off of Rogers.

Though unfortunately for Stashak, he's probably first, maybe second to be sent down if/when the Twins get more relief help.

• goulik and rdehring like this

#17 pierre75275

pierre75275

• Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 08:42 AM

What does he bring to the table in terms of pitches and speed and spin rate?
  • kwazie71 likes this

#18 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 14,622 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 08:56 AM

But why do it now? Why not when we actually make trades? To try to squeeze a waiver fee? Could have used the arms last series and certainly this series.

Maybe they were just trying to keep Cleveland from claiming them? It looks like right before the Twins DFA'd Mejia, Cleveland had traded international bonus money for Phil Maton, then optioned him, filling their 40-man. Then right before the Twins DFA'd Morin and Magill Cleveland had recalled Zach Plesac who they had previously only sent down for the 10 day max just before the AS break so as they could have another bench bat.

#19 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,826 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 09:30 AM

Good luck to him.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#20 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 09:44 AM

What does he bring to the table in terms of pitches and speed and spin rate?

Same question I was going to ask.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cody stashak