Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Game Recap (7/21): Max Kepler Delivers Dramatic Walk-Off Win

max kepler ehire adrianza jorge polanco michael pineda trevor may
  • Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,284 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 21 July 2019 - 07:01 PM

Whenever I find myself wanting to be mad at Trevor May or any player for that matter. 

I first consider what I'd think if I was a fan of the opposite team at that moment. I imagine I wouldn't be thinking "HA HA May... what a whatever". 

When Arraez and Adrianza and Kepler came through in the 9th... I'm thinking way to go, coming through in clutch, like that. If I was an A's Fan... Hendriks you *#&)@. 

Both teams are competing... it produces a roller coaster when it's done right and that's why I love baseball. 

• ashbury, glunn, Jerr and 1 other like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#22 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,487 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 07:07 PM

Four tight baseball games. Two very good teams. Bring on the Yankees.
  • glunn, LA VIkes Fan, Dozier's Glorious Hair and 1 other like this

#23 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,284 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 21 July 2019 - 07:08 PM

I already shared this take in the game thread, but I think Rocco leaving May out there to rot may have served basically as a not so politely-worded text to the front office. Think about it, how out of character was that for him, Mr. Rest? May threw 49 pitches, and it's not because he was effective.

If that wasn't some kind of a message being sent, it's just incredibly weird.

This is what I've been talking about for quite some time. A manager needs trust in his entire bullpen. 

Lack of trust for Stewart probably forced him to ride May for 49 pitches. When a manager starts doing that... you got a problem. 

• glunn, adorduan, twinssporto and 1 other like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#24 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 1,736 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 07:15 PM

Fun times. Cave down for a reliver or for Buxton? If Buxton, May down for a reliever? Who? Does May have any options left? Need someone for this week and May is out until.at least Wednesday. Seriously, we need a reliever by tomorrow night's game. I doubt May goes down but someone has to.

Cave for Romero or Thorpe. Romero is pitching better the last few times out. Thorpe last pitched on the 17th. Good guy to have up if Perez goes 4 or less tomorrow.

Edited by LA VIkes Fan, 21 July 2019 - 07:17 PM.

• glunn likes this

#25 spycake

spycake

• 16,949 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 07:18 PM

Does May have any options left?

No, May is out of options.

I suspect Stewart or Littell could get sent down.
  • glunn likes this

#26 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,537 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 07:24 PM

No, May is out of options.

I suspect Stewart or Littell could get sent down.

Possibly both. For whom is difficult to say without knowing who worked when in AAA. For sure neither would be available tomorrow. Littell has worked 3 straight days.
  • jorgenswest, glunn and dbminn like this

#27 Monticore

Monticore

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 105 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 07:26 PM

Good inning by Kohl Stewart. I gave up in the 9th but snuck a peek and was glad I did.
  • glunn likes this

#28 twinssporto

twinssporto

Don't try pitching around me!

• 2,117 posts
  • LocationTonka

Posted 21 July 2019 - 07:37 PM

Whenever I find myself wanting to be mad at Trevor May or any player for that matter. 

I first consider what I'd think if I was a fan of the opposite team at that moment. I imagine I wouldn't be thinking "HA HA May... what a whatever". 

When Arraez and Adrianza and Kepler came through in the 9th... I'm thinking way to go, coming through in clutch, like that. If I was an A's Fan... Hendriks you *#&)@. 

Both teams are competing... it produces a roller coaster when it's done right and that's why I love baseball. 

Nice comparison.  I think we still have a bull pen problem to deal with but until that's fixed I'm gonna take your approach. I like baseball. Don't really like the roller coaster but will keep taking my high blood pressure meds...

Edited by twinssporto, 21 July 2019 - 07:37 PM.

• glunn, Riverbrian and Alex Schieferdecker like this
On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

#29 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,952 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 July 2019 - 07:39 PM

Please fix the pen

Ask and you shall receive... Stashak is on the way.
  • glunn likes this

#30 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,523 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 21 July 2019 - 07:39 PM

I suspect the umpire was squeezing the zone. I looked up some data that I put in the game thread. Of the 15 home plate umpires working today, he has the highest average walks per game.

Rookie replacement ump. He was called up from (I assume) AAA after the HP ump went down with a probable concussion on Friday. His pitch calling was, to be polite, inconsistent.

• glunn likes this

#31 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,347 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 21 July 2019 - 08:47 PM

I already shared this take in the game thread, but I think Rocco leaving May out there to rot may have served basically as a not so politely-worded text to the front office. Think about it, how out of character was that for him, Mr. Rest? May threw 49 pitches, and it's not because he was effective.

I said the same thing about Rogers 7 out save against Texas. Basically Baldelli's silent cry for help.
  • jokin likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#32 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 08:57 PM

Here are some highlights from this one:

• Jerr likes this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#33 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,156 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:14 PM

A few recent outings remind me of Molitor last year, who I think did the same thing.

So...it didn't work them. Fingers crossed it works now.

#34 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,537 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:23 PM

A few recent outings remind me of Molitor last year, who I think did the same thing.

So...it didn't work them. Fingers crossed it works now.

The 2018 Twins last day above .500 was April 20.

Molitor may have been asking for help, but “good” help was never going to happen. Trading assets to supplement a bad team for the short term makes zero sense.

#35 jaimedude2

jaimedude2

• 1,374 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:25 PM

Can they put May on DL and call it arm tendinitis? Something is clearly off. I like how May strikes people out, he has had late inning stuff but there is clearly something going on.

#36 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,913 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:32 PM

Can they put May on DL and call it arm tendinitis? Something is clearly off. I like how May strikes people out, he has had late inning stuff but there is clearly something going on.

Sure. If they literally had another warm body that Baldelli has even an ounce of confidence in their ability to get outs, go ahead and put May on the IL.

#37 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• 3,440 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 21 July 2019 - 10:23 PM

I'm thinkin' Trevor better be making a reservation at Murray's, to treat Ehire and Max to the biggest butter-knife steaks on the menu.

Maybe he can split the check with Castro.

• glunn likes this

#38 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,950 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 01:27 AM

I hope the text to the front office isn't terribly polite. I think Rocco is a pretty mellow dude but this is the time to step up and be firm that help is needed and it was needed a month ago.

That doesn't mean he needs to be an ass about it, but he should be pretty adamant about what he needs and when he needs it (yesterday).

I think intentionally leaving a floundering Trevor May in there for fans to endure nearly 50 of his pitches was about as "adamantly" polite a message as Rocco could possibly send.

• David HK likes this

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#39 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,950 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 01:37 AM

I am gratified that I finally have come to your post and I am now certain that it wasn't just me watching the constant shots of Rocco glowering in the dugout in the 7th and 8th innings. It certainly appeared that that's exactly what he was doing.

As elsewhere stated, pretty sure with better than even odds that May is IL'd or traded in the next 10 days.

• David HK likes this

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#40 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• 3,440 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 22 July 2019 - 02:14 AM

I am gratified that I finally have come to your post and I am now certain that it wasn't just me watching the constant shots of Rocco glowering in the dugout in the 7th and 8th innings. It certainly appeared that that's exactly what he was doing.

As elsewhere stated, pretty sure with better than even odds that May is IL'd or traded in the next 10 days.

Or sold for scrap, like the rest of the M-boys in the bullpen so far.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: max kepler, ehire adrianza, jorge polanco, michael pineda, trevor may