Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Real baseball

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Bandit34

Bandit34

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 10:15 PM

Did anyone else notice how each A's batter takes at least 6 or 7 pitches to be out, if they are out? Or how about clutch hitting situations? This, my friends, is real baseball. Real baseball is making that pitcher battle for every single out in the game. As far as I am concerned, the only hitter in our lineup that is a hardballer right now is Luis Arraez. The relentlessness of the A's lineup makes even me tired, watching from my easy chair. Can't imagine how much it tires out our pitching. Our hitters need to come up with a new approach. At least Sano is looking like he wants to attempt real baseball. Excellent approach at the plate tonight for him. 

• KFEY93 and jz7233 like this

#2 jz7233

jz7233

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 10:49 PM

Garver and Marvin should be more patient at the plate when RISP. It only took 3 pitches to get 3 outs from them. Garver should try to avoid DP by not hitting any pitch low.

Edited by jz7233, 20 July 2019 - 11:38 PM.

#3 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Twins Mods
  • 10,815 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 11:08 PM

In April and May, the Twins were attacking the first pitch, if I recall correctly.
  • dgwills and Platoon like this

#4 Bandit34

Bandit34

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 11:22 PM

In April and May, the Twins were attacking the first pitch, if I recall correctly.

Wrongly, I might add. It's just a wonder that so many teams did not catch on to that. If the history of baseball has proven anything it is that being patient and being able to make a pitcher really, really work for every single out is the tried and true approach to good, fundamental hitting.

• KFEY93 and jz7233 like this

#5 Bandit34

Bandit34

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 11:24 PM

Making a pitcher throw 10 pitches rattles him. I have seen many times already where Arraez will make a pitcher throw pitch after pitch after pitch and after the at-bat the pitcher has lost his edge. 

• jz7233 likes this

#6 Bandit34

Bandit34

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 11:26 PM

Now, on the other hand, what Joe Mauer did in ALWAYS taking the first pitch was also extremely stupid and is probably one of the greatest reasons why he will not be in the Hall of Fame. 

#7 Reider

Reider

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 11:33 PM

Luis Arraez has definitely been battling, he has a great eye at the plate and it seems like Sano has been too lately (battling), but I think that has a lot to do with pitchers not wanting to throw him any cookies and missing by more than they should be. Id' rather see Sano draw a walk than strike out, that's for sure.

Edited by Reider, 20 July 2019 - 11:35 PM.

• Dman, Platoon, jz7233 and 1 other like this

#8 Bandit34

Bandit34

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 11:39 PM

Luis Arraez has definitely been battling, he has a great eye at the plate and it seems like Sano has been too lately (battling), but I think that has a lot to do with pitchers not wanting to throw him any cookies and missing by more than they should be. Id' rather see Sano draw a walk than strike out, that's for sure.

To be honest, I am more encouraged when Sano walks than even when he hits a home run. If this guy EVER figures out pitches and the strike zone, he will become a force to be reckoned with. If he starts hitting the ball the other way for doubles, I will also be very happy. One thing is for certain: Sano will either go down in history as Butch Huskey Jr. or a fearsome, great hitter. Today was the most encouraged I have been this season with Sano.

• Monkeypaws, LA VIkes Fan, Dman and 1 other like this

#9 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 3,569 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 01:55 AM

I love this thread. These guys need to learn that baseball is played dirty, with tobacco, and without underwear. Why wash your uniform? Bunting is a lost science, good teams need to bunt. I haven't seen a good ole hit n run either, no way can they get to the pennant without guys knowing a hit n run. I'm sick of this new school, hittin home runs, takin walks, pansy baseball. Get back to the fundamentals.
  • nokomismod, 70charger, Only Here in Negative and 1 other like this
Do or do not. There is no try.

#10 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,044 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 21 July 2019 - 05:09 AM

Taking Garver as an example: In the first inning it looks like he sat on, and ambushed his pitch early in the count ala Dozier. Result, HR. Someone throws you a cookie early and you are actually looking for it, then hit it. Otherwise you are reduced to waiting for a walk or two pitching mistakes in the same AB. Garvers last AB: not good situational hitting. Maybe he was trying to ambush a first pitch FB, since it was expected with the bases loaded. While he got one, it was a pitchers pitch, down and away a little. He hit it hard, but tried to pull it. Result, DP. The philosophy on both AB's was sound. He just was not selective enough. In the ninth, he needed a ball up in the zone for at least a fly ball. Just simply running up pitches per AB is not the answer,to every AB. Or hitter!

Edited by Platoon, 21 July 2019 - 05:12 AM.

• birdwatcher, Loosey, Dman and 1 other like this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#11 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 14,176 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 21 July 2019 - 06:43 AM

Wrongly, I might add. It's just a wonder that so many teams did not catch on to that. If the history of baseball has proven anything it is that being patient and being able to make a pitcher really, really work for every single out is the tried and true approach to good, fundamental hitting.

Actually, you are wrong here. They went hard after the first couple pitches earlier on in the season. The flip side is that I think the league has adjusted and they are getting a whole lot less show me fastballs down the middle or whatever you want to call it.

I think you're right to the extent that fording pitchers to earn that out is a good thing... and in those leverage situations, forcing the pitcher to throw a good pitch is the right answer... though I would simply say (not having seen it) that if the pitcher was throwing strikes, what else was Garver supposed to do? 

• birdwatcher, 70charger and Platoon like this

#12 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 3,302 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 07:57 AM

Arrae\z would be the perfect leadoff batter. Letting the people behind him see the pitcher throw 8-10 pitches and get a handle on the umpire.

Moneyball. Make the pitcher throw strikes. At what point that happens is a guess. Some pitchers throw strikes right out of the chute, then start being shifty. Or vcie versa. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to take pithes. Sano should take the first two pitches on half of his at bats, no matter how good or bad...just to see.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#13 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 08:24 AM

The A's were very tough last night and took some extended plate appearances. But, here's how things shake out over the entire series so far:

OAK: 422 pitches to 110 batters (3.836/batter faced)

MIN: 456 pitches to 119 batters (3.832/batter faced)

• jorgenswest, birdwatcher, Thrylos and 14 others like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#14 Bandit34

Bandit34

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 08:25 AM

I would be interested in seeing just how many of those pitches were thrown to Arraez! A LOT! Plus Sano has actually started to look like a Major League hitter in this series as well. The others have had a disastrous series. 

#15 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 08:37 AM

I would be interested in seeing just how many of those pitches were thrown to Arraez! A LOT! Plus Sano has actually started to look like a Major League hitter in this series as well. The others have had a disastrous series. 

Correct. Luis Arraez saw ...

20 pitches in 4 PAs Thursday

14 pitches in 4 PAs Friday

26 pitches in 3 PAs Saturday

So that's 5.45 pitches/PA. Polanco (4.67) and Sano (4.42) have also been putting together some extended PAs. Oddly enough, one of the most patient guys on the team has been ultra aggressive this series.Marwin Gonzalez is only averaging 2.67 pitches/PA so far.

Of course, the opposing pitcher has a great deal of influence in these numbers. The hitters can only impact this so much, at a certain point you have to take what you're given.

• Sconnie, Dman, Platoon and 1 other like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#16 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 23,542 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 21 July 2019 - 10:58 AM

Did anyone else notice how each A's batter takes at least 6 or 7 pitches to be out, if they are out?

Maybe in one game. For the season, the A's are averaging 3.94 pitches per plate appearance, just a smidgen above MLB average 3.92. Our Twins are indeed a bit lower at 3.81. Something they could work on.

https://www.baseball...s-batting.shtml

I don't have a handy way to convert that to pitches per out (especially the "if they are out" part :) ), but I doubt it changes the relative rankings very much.

• TNTwinsFan and Only Here in Negative like this

So, in conclusion, what was your question again?

#17 SwainZag

SwainZag

• Twins Mods
  • 2,320 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 21 July 2019 - 11:09 AM

Meh when it fits your narrative go with it right? Rosario hit his 3-run HR on the 1st pitch the other night.If Garver would have put that ball in the gap, this thread wouldn't be a thing.

Also, to the OP, Mauer taking the 1st pitch is the greatest reason he won't be in the HOF?I would love to hear you back that up.If you can convince me that is the reasons and not concussions and resulting symptoms,be my guest.

• twinsnorth49, 70charger, Danchat and 5 others like this

#18 GCTF

GCTF

Wasting Your Time

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  • LocationCanada City

Posted 21 July 2019 - 12:03 PM

I love this thread. These guys need to learn that baseball is played dirty, with tobacco, and without underwear. Why wash your uniform? Bunting is a lost science, good teams need to bunt. I haven't seen a good ole hit n run either, no way can they get to the pennant without guys knowing a hit n run. I'm sick of this new school, hittin home runs, takin walks, pansy baseball. Get back to the fundamentals.

Thank you for taking time out from managin' the Tigers to post here. 

• USAFChief, luckylager, birdwatcher and 10 others like this

Endut! Hoch Hech!

#19 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 01:33 PM

Meh when it fits your narrative go with it right? Rosario hit his 3-run HR on the 1st pitch the other night. If Garver would have put that ball in the gap, this thread wouldn't be a thing.

Also, to the OP, Mauer taking the 1st pitch is the greatest reason he won't be in the HOF? I would love to hear you back that up. If you can convince me that is the reasons and not concussions and resulting symptoms, be my guest.

If Mauer had been forced to retire after 2013 because of his concussions, he would have been a slam dunk first ballot HOFer. And that is why he’ll get in. Because the voters aren’t stupid. They know what he had to deal with.

He may not be first ballot, but he will definitely get in. I’d say between years 3 and 5.
  • gil4, kenbuddha, bighat and 2 others like this

#20 Bandit34

Bandit34

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 05:53 PM

Meh when it fits your narrative go with it right? Rosario hit his 3-run HR on the 1st pitch the other night.If Garver would have put that ball in the gap, this thread wouldn't be a thing.

Also, to the OP, Mauer taking the 1st pitch is the greatest reason he won't be in the HOF?I would love to hear you back that up.If you can convince me that is the reasons and not concussions and resulting symptoms,be my guest.

Mauer took the first pitch almost always. As a result, the pitcher almost always threw the first pitch down the middle for a strike. To me, that had to be the stupidest strategy that I have ever seen any MLB player take in the history of the game. Had Mauer swung at first pitches, there's no question he would have gotten at least 500 more hits in his career. To the other poster, there is no way that Mauer gets in the Hall of Fame. A Hall of Fame player is a generational player, not a player that dominates for 4 or 5 years. If Mauer gets in, then the Hall of Fame is a joke.