Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Game Recap (7/20): Twins Offense and Bullpen Can’t Do Enough to Secure the Win

taylor rogers mitch garver jose berrios zack littell miguel sano
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 584 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 21 July 2019 - 05:30 AM

Yesterday was Friday, July 19, it was the 96th game of the year and the Twins hit 1 home run.The Twins are now 59% of the way through the season.Out of 59 years, the current team ranks 9th on the all-time list of Twins' home runs in one season and are on a pace to hit 300 home runs this season.They are now 89 home runs behind the single season MLB record.The next Twins team to pass is the 1962 team that hit 185 home runs.

• Jerr likes this

#22 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 06:18 AM

Here's some video of last night's loss. The bullpen was the obvious point of focus, but I ended it by showing every pitch Miguel Sano saw in his four plate appearances. 

As VivaBombo alluded to, this looks like a completely different guy. To change a swing is one thing, but he's gone from looking lost to above average in terms of pitch recognition. Weird theory, but it honestly makes me wonder if there was something going on with his vision. Whatever it is, it's been a very welcome change.

• Jerr, D.C Twins, jz7233 and 1 other like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#23 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 08:19 AM

I am not a fan of WPA but do not mind it being listed here.However I would like to have errors added to the list of call outs.  

Thank goodness Cleveland had its streak end.I remember there 20 game winning streak and when they start a streak I worry it will not end.Francona must do magic because his lineup does not seem good enough to win as often as they do.The Twins should be worried.One more with As and then the Yankees.Only three game lead!

How do they rest Rogers when the race is this tight?But they have to because we need him to be fresh for the stretch run.  

#24 Bavarian

Bavarian

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 08:49 AM

While the Twins are trying their mightiest, I can't see this team advancing to the WS with the Yankees and Astros having both starting and bullpen advantages in a series.Our bullpen can't hold up and we'll continue to lose numerous late-inning leads which demoralize a team both in the long haul in a divisional battle with Cleveland and in a pressure-packed playoff series.  

I'm tempering my expectations and instead looking at a long-term sustainment approach and hoping that not too many attempts at a quick fix for a WS run are in the plans for this season.Keep the assets we have as trades can take place after the season as well.We may get more for our assets in the offseason as teams hoping to deal their players expect too much as we approach the deadline.Don't give the Mets two arms and a leg for a guy who may not return to his promised form.Ditto for Bumgarner who has logged a ton of miles and is a rental.He won't be the difference-maker this year with this bullpen.We need more than one upgrade to the bullpen anyway.  

Stay the course to build a team worthy of long-term success like Houston and the Cubs built.Don't panic and stray from the patient approach that got you here quicker than expected.Can we go after a player?Sure.But don't mortgage the farm simply to get one crack at it all when continuing the path can lead to many years of serious contending.This is a good year for getting a taste of contending which is new for most on this roster.Learning to improve their craft through manufacturing runs when needed and hanging in longer on pitch counts to reach bullpens sooner are all part of learning to contend.  

• jz7233 likes this

#25 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:45 AM

Rogers is a fine reliever. But, his stuff isn’t overpowering by any means.

Did everyone see what Liam Hendriks did in game 2 I’d ther series? That’s what a late inning reliever ona World Series contender looks like.

Being overworked is a contributor, sure. But, things were going to catch up to Rogers eventually. I’m still not totally convinced he’s the caliber of relieve to be used in a scenario like Game 7 of the ALCS against a RHer like Judge, Springer, etc.

At this point, not only is it hurting the team that they have refused to address the bullpen for so long, but it’s becoming a PR nightmare as well. Fans are pissed. They’ll stop coming (and they should). It makes it even worse when you see guys like Presley, Hendriks, etc, dominating in late inning roles for teams that make us look like the bad news bears.

We’re not even going to make playoffs. I think everyone is starting to see the writing on the wall. And, honestly, after the start we’ve had and the amount of time they’ve spent idly watching this spiral around the drain, someone should be accountable.

What I want to know is, have they presented trades to ownership and have been turned down? Or, are they just chalking the first couple of months up to statistical fluke and are banking in the future. The latter I could stomach, the former would make me a Brewers fan. The 00s would be tough to live through again.
  • ruralTWINS rube likes this

#26 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 10:45 AM

At least Cleveland got shutout by Jacob Junis, who had an ERA over 5 going into the game, so it could be worse, right?

• Danchat and EPEZRider like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: taylor rogers, mitch garver, jose berrios, zack littell, miguel sano