Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Jose Berrios' reaction to the Morin for cash considerations move: They just want to get money

jose berrios mike morin
  • Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#81 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,653 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 11:30 PM

Fans have been saying this for decades now. Not a great look when someone who is supposed to be a franchise cornerstone is putting this out on Twitter.

This thing feels close to going full nuclear. And it should be.

Let’s see the spin this one.

#82 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,653 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 11:32 PM

While it looks like the Twins will be making moves at the deadline, just for once in my life I would like to see the Pohlads takes their heads out of their pocketbooks and make the splash move that puts this team into serious contention. It seems maybe some of the players are realizing the Pohlad's M.O. as well.

I wouldn’t have said it’s the pocketbook that the Pohlads’ heads are in (they’re lodged firmly somewhere else), but agree with the sentiment.

#83 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,653 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 11:42 PM

I wish Berrios would have more fire on the mound these days, instead of on Twitter. Am I the only one who is tired of the mantra - Berrios doesn't have his best stuff today......?

Of all the things to be tired of with the club, you’re tired of the young stud All-Star starting pitcher with an ERA under 3, an 8+ k/9, and a 150+ ERA+ in 120 innings?

Yeah, he’s sure a huge problem.

Edited by Darius, 21 July 2019 - 11:43 PM.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#84 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,950 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 01:00 AM

Back to the OP. I think Berríos is misinformed or wrong. Getting anything for a DFA is a win. There is ample reason to add talent.

The team just about has to add veteran relievers. It is obvious that Baldelli trusts no one but Rogers and IMHO no one else deserves trust. They have cleared the space to do this, and the deadline is 10 days ahead.

It’s hard to be patient, but it probably won’t happen until 7/31.

Is Rocco bold enough or "impatient" enough, to have tried to "send a message" to the FO/Ownership about the pen situation by making poor Trevor May throw nearly 50 pitches (majority were balls, not strikes) in 1.2 innings on Sunday- when it was obvious that May is struggling so horrendously with his stuff?

Seemed almost like intentional torment, the announcers kept wondering in amazement that there was no one warming up to relieve May.

Edited by jokin, 22 July 2019 - 01:04 AM.

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#85 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,950 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 01:08 AM

Fans have been saying this for decades now. Not a great look when someone who is supposed to be a franchise cornerstone is putting this out on Twitter.

This thing feels close to going full nuclear. And it should be.

Let’s see the spin this one.

Yep. It's comments like this, right or wrong, that might leave a mark, and make any FO approaches of upcoming talks with Berrios on extensions or franchise designations to go right out the window.

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#86 wabene

wabene

Wahoo

• 1,078 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 22 July 2019 - 05:35 AM

You would expect they could get a lottery ticket for all these DFA guys. Cash is wrong in so many ways. Better than nothing, but it does not send a good message to what they are trying to do.

Some guys don't have the perceived value every for a lottery ticket.

#87 wabene

wabene

Wahoo

• 1,078 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 22 July 2019 - 05:40 AM

You would expect they could get a lottery ticket for all these DFA guys. Cash is wrong in so many ways. Better than nothing, but it does not send a good message to what they are trying to do.

Some guys don't have the perceived value every for a lottery ticket.

I would imagine the team looks at the bullpen and wonders why the front office has done nothing, too.

Hose sure seemed close to Morin did he realize that his buddy was emblematic of the bullpen's shortcomings?

#88 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• 968 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 06:16 AM

This is a distinction without a difference.

It costs a team $50K to claim someone off waivers anyway.

Did the Twins get more than $50K or less than $50K for Morin and Magill?

Either way, the Twins get money so Jose or whomever have to realize, at the end of the day, a baseball club is a business and making money is what allows them to field a decent team.

It is possible, I suppose, the Twins facilitated a "trade" and cut the $50K price on either or both so that they would each catch on with another team.

We really don't know at this point.

• rdehring and In My La-Z-boy like this

#89 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,563 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 06:23 AM

Expect all these 'cash consideration' deals have nothing to do with the selling team making money.More likely dealing with a team getting a player they are interested in.

Say there are several waiver claims on Player A.Team B calls the selling GM A and says, we would like to pick up Player A, we'll give you $60,000 instead of the $50,000 you get from a waiver claim.GM A is happy Player A will have a job and says yes.

Another scenario could be there are several claims.GM A would prefer that Player A doesn't go to a rival team.So he calls GM B and says, "give me $55,000 and I will trade Player A to you."GM B agrees.

Expect once someone, say Baldelli, sits down with Jose he will understand this.More likely the players leaving were friends and he is sorry they are gone.On the flip side, hopefully, he will be happy when reinforcements arrive later this week.

Edited by rdehring, 22 July 2019 - 06:26 AM.

#90 spycake

spycake

• 17,125 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 09:40 AM

It is possible, I suppose, the Twins facilitated a "trade" and cut the $50K price on either or both so that they would each catch on with another team.

That seems unlikely. The Phillies gave Morin a 25-man major league roster spot (in a pennant race, no less); seems doubtful they would think he's not worth at least the $50k waiver price.

It's maybe slightly more possible with Magill and the non-contending Mariners, although a guy worth a 25-man roster spot to any team is still probably worth the $50k waiver fee. This isn't even a "sneak a guy through waivers soon to stash them at AAA" situation, as both Morin and Magill can elect free agency if they clear waivers. (Which is all the more incentive for the Twins to look for a deal, even a cash deal, rather than request waivers on them.)

#91 nokomismod

nokomismod

Twins & Gophers

• 460 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 09:46 AM

What has the history been with the Berrios and the offers extended by the Twins? Is it that he doesn't want to be here long term or he is gambling that over his career he will make more by waiting until arbitration to see a big increase?

#92 spycake

spycake

• 17,125 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 09:49 AM

What has the history been with the Berrios and the offers extended by the Twins? Is it that he doesn't want to be here long term or he is gambling that over his career he will make more by waiting until arbitration to see a big increase?

Nothing concrete has been reported, other than they've had discussions but no agreement.

I don't think it's necessarily anything controversial. Berrios was still a year ahead of schedule for a Severino/Nola type extension. It's quite possible he wanted that kind of money, but the Twins wanted a little more discount for committing to it a year early (i.e. something more like the Polanco/Kepler deals).

By next winter, they may both be on the same page.

• nokomismod and SwainZag like this

#93 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,228 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 10:00 AM

We really don't know at this point.

Or so as to make sure Cleveland didn't get a chance to claim them.

#94 In My La-Z-boy

In My La-Z-boy

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 117 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 10:09 AM

I think it is just a matter of Berrios not understanding the business of baseball. This is not unlike any other moves made by a multitude of teams every day with players on the fringe of serviceable. Maybe he is frustrated after the bullpen blew his last game.

Likely he is still frustrated over not receiving an extension last winter - and likely he is still frustrated his friend Rosario didn't either. 

#95 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,903 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 10:55 AM

the question still remains, if we're waiting till 7/31, why clear the space weeks earlier?

Because they were out of options.
Clearing them off the 40 man is just a byproduct, not the purpose.
  • jorgenswest and jkcarew like this

#96 howeda7

howeda7

• 1,878 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 10:58 AM

Is Rocco bold enough or "impatient" enough, to have tried to "send a message" to the FO/Ownership about the pen situation by making poor Trevor May throw nearly 50 pitches (majority were balls, not strikes) in 1.2 innings on Sunday- when it was obvious that May is struggling so horrendously with his stuff?

Seemed almost like intentional torment, the announcers kept wondering in amazement that there was no one warming up to relieve May.

TK used to do this with Terry Ryan, but they were a forced marriage. If Rocco is having to do this with the guys who hired him 8 months ago, that's a problem.

Edited by howeda7, 22 July 2019 - 10:58 AM.

• jokin and KGB like this

#97 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,885 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 22 July 2019 - 12:58 PM

Let’s see the Pohlad Pocket Protectors try to spin this one.

Moderator's note: Can we please make our points without the derisive nicknames, my friend?

• SwainZag likes this

I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.

#98 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,885 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 22 July 2019 - 01:01 PM

the question still remains, if we're waiting till 7/31, why clear the space weeks earlier?

I might have forgotten one, but my impression is that each of the moves was motivated to remove someone from the 25-man but who lacked minor-league options. In each case they brought up someone already on the 40 to replace him, thus no corresponding 40-man move was needed.

To me, it's evidence that something is brewing, but that the FO truly doesn't know for sure which deal(s) will happen. So there being no incentive to commit to something this week, they are leaving things open. If they fill it to 38 with AA guys, and then 3 instead of 2 bluebirds fly in via acquisition, they have to waive someone. Yeah, I'm still an optimist.

They just added Stashak today, so it's not as though they are saving their open 40-man slots for their old age. :)

It may be overly cautious but I don't think it's mysterious. Just... uncertain.

• LA VIkes Fan and Dman like this

I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.

#99 spycake

spycake

• 17,125 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 01:14 PM

Keep in mind, Morin, Magill, and Mejia all had disastrous final games for the Twins. It wasn't at all clear that these were guys you'd want to keep around until July 31st.

• ashbury and SwainZag like this

#100 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 1,752 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 02:33 PM

I might have forgotten one, but my impression is that each of the moves was motivated to remove someone from the 25-man but who lacked minor-league options. In each case they brought up someone already on the 40 to replace him, thus no corresponding 40-man move was needed.

To me, it's evidence that something is brewing, but that the FO truly doesn't know for sure which deal(s) will happen. So there being no incentive to commit to something this week, they are leaving things open. If they fill it to 38 with AA guys, and then 3 instead of 2 bluebirds fly in via acquisition, they have to waive someone. Yeah, I'm still an optimist.

They just added Stashak today, so it's not as though they are saving their open 40-man slots for their old age. :)

It may be overly cautious but I don't think it's mysterious. Just... uncertain.

Agreed. We also have several players who will be Rule 5 eligible after the season, some of whom the FO is probably trying to trade for BP help. I expect a trade or two of non-40 man guys for MLB relief help, internal 40 man adds, or, most likely, a combination of both. They needed the room to have the flexibility to act both in trades AND to move guys back and forth from AAA. Morin and Magill are both well traveled, average at best guys. This will backfire if we can't get anybody better in the trade market and/or from guys like Stashak, Littel and Thorpe. 

One thing to keep in mind - keeping these guys who don't have options means optioning guys who are better like Littel and having a tired bullpen. The only other alternative is an 8 man bullpen and that means either optioning Arraez or DFA'ing Adrianza. Really, the choice is between losing one of those guys or keeping Morin or Magill. More flexible BP now which means more guys can go up and down to keep some level of freshness in the BP without going to 8 guys. I think we'll get one BP piece in trade and have 3 spots for the Rochester shuttle rather than the two we have now with guys going up and down regularly. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jose berrios, mike morin