Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Jose Berrios' reaction to the Morin for cash considerations move: They just want to get money

jose berrios mike morin
  • Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#61 peterb18

peterb18

• 148 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 05:33 AM

The players spend a lot of time together and do a lot of talking. And this tweet kind of expresses the feeling of Berrios and probably his friends on the team. I don’t think Berrios will be an easy negotiation in the resigning phase. I do agree that this feeling is toward the ownership not the front office.But we will see.

#62 BBAM

BBAM

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 154 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 06:17 AM

Well we are getting close to the "are your buyers or sellers?" and the Twins tend to pull the plug too early.They have lost some very good players and not gotten much back.Some of you remember every trade but didn't Pressley make the AS team?Who did we get for him? Did Liam not just shut us out, who did we get for him.?Did they really offer Escobar enough to keep him. They let a very talented Hicks go for nothing. Beside the history which is hard to forget there has to be frustration that nothing has been done as of today to strengthen the team. It is a good team and they have showntheyhave a chance but not w/o strengthening the pitching staff. Hopefully something big is coming.  I can understand the players frustration and I don't think it is the one player but what has happened in the past and what this team will do for a buck. The Buxton fiasco probably didn't send a good message to the players last year. Basically the theme is money is more important the fielding a great team and this team could be great. 

Edited by BBAM, 21 July 2019 - 06:59 AM.

#63 Bavarian

Bavarian

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 61 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:03 AM

I wish Berrios would have more fire on the mound these days, instead of on Twitter. Am I the only one who is tired of the mantra - Berrios doesn't have his best stuff today......?

I didn't like it either.A bit surprised that no one shared this point of view until the 20th post.  

Get off twitter.You're a pitcher, not a GM critique.Do your job, Berrios.  

#64 jctwins

jctwins

• 418 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 10:21 AM

Is it possible that sports, politics, and a lot of other parts of our lives were better before Twitter existed?

• Jerr, jokin, Oldgoat_MN and 2 others like this

#65 drock2190

drock2190

• 1,406 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 11:23 AM

Did Berrios fire up his twitter machine again this morning? (Magill)

#66 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 12:27 PM

Morin was doing a very good job this year. I can count the Twins relievers who were better than him on 1 and a half fingers.

I'm not understanding the various nods of agreement in this thread that he had to go. 

The Twins are blaming their bad infield defense on the pitching. Sad.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#67 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,466 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 21 July 2019 - 12:32 PM

Morin was doing a very good job this year. I can count the Twins relievers who were better than him on 1 and a half fingers.

I'm not understanding the various nods of agreement in this thread that he had to go. 

The Twins are blaming their bad infield defense on the pitching. Sad.

Morin was smoke and mirrors this year.Don't let the 3.18 ERA convince you he was doing a very good job this year.Morin does not miss bats.4.4 K/9 from a reliever isn't going to cut it.He is an average reliever at best, as told by his 4.51 FIP.He is very, very replaceable. 

• jokin, Oldgoat_MN and LA VIkes Fan like this

#68 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• 10,133 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 21 July 2019 - 12:39 PM

I went back to some of the replays of the Perkins show and i could not find the quote.

I will presume that i was mistaken and delete my original post. 

It would had been something for someone who took the Twins' money not to play, instead of doing the right thing and retiring to help the team, to accuse the Twins for reluctance to spend $...

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#69 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 01:16 PM

Morin does not miss bats.

And yet he has an 11:2 K:BB ratio and his WHIP is under 1.00.

But yes, sinkerball pitchers are often described as "smoke and mirrors" pitchers by those who want relievers to do nothing but bring heat.

Edited by Doomtints, 21 July 2019 - 01:16 PM.

• gunnarthor and Jham like this

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#70 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,888 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 01:32 PM

And yet he has an 11:2 K:BB ratio and his WHIP is under 1.00.

But yes, sinkerball pitchers are often described as "smoke and mirrors" pitchers by those who want relievers to do nothing but bring heat.

Seems like it would be easier to replace the last reliever in the pen with someone who can get strikeouts than to replace the entire infield with + defenders.

#71 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,531 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 01:46 PM

4.5 k per 9 today is like 2 or 3 per 9 IP 15 years ago. The entire league is striking out more than once every five plate appearances.

#72 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,865 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 04:28 PM

It would had been something for someone who took the Twins' money not to play, instead of doing the right thing and retiring to help the team, to accuse the Twins for reluctance to spend $...

MLB contracts are guaranteed against injury.
Perkins did absolutely nothing wrong.
Are the Twins going to throw a few extra million to Polanco and Kepler for outperforming their contracts?
Of course not. And they shouldn't, but neither should Perkins be expected to give any money back.
  • Mike Sixel, Oldgoat_MN and D.C Twins like this

#73 sdangus

sdangus

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 72 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 05:56 PM

I didn't read every post here, but all of these pitchers are terribly flawed, serviceable for a non-contender team perhaps, like Seattle, but not for a contender. The real issue is that none of these players has any options, so that means they are unable to be sent down temporarily so that they prevent flexibility on the roster for situations where they are bringing players off the disabled list, and other things. 

Who would you have removed from the roster when those players were DFA'd? They had to DFA them in order to get them off the roster, since they had no options available.

• LA VIkes Fan likes this

#74 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,871 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 06:39 PM

One hears about a manager "losing the clubhouse." I don't recall a FO discussed in similar terms. But if asked, as a seasoned General Manager over many, many seasons*, I would advise FalVine to be careful about this.

* playing Out Of The Park. :)

It's a real concern. Ryan may have been out of touch with modern baseball but he was so highly respected around the league and with his own players (most of the time).

The front office can't afford to start creating rifts with players like Berrios.

• ashbury, jokin, KirbyDome89 and 1 other like this

#75 sdangus

sdangus

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 72 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 06:46 PM

I think it is just a matter of Berrios not understanding the business of baseball. This is not unlike any other moves made by a multitude of teams every day with players on the fringe of serviceable. Maybe he is frustrated after the bullpen blew his last game.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#76 Brandon

Brandon

• 1,987 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 07:07 PM

I would feel better if the Twins acquired the Reliever first before letting both Morin and Magill go.Let one go fine but both?Now you are at more of a disadvantage as your bullpen is weaker then before so the need and therefore a cost for a reliever is higher.  

Also I am guessing Morin was let go because it looks as if Littel is beginning to establish himself.Littel is one of the trades of the front office and therefore they are more invested in him then Morin a minor league signing.  

As far as Magill,I dunno I guess he is replaceable with Stewart.Maybe the Twins feel Magill just isn't going to be any better but there are several prospects ready for the chance before they wheel and deal.  

• D.C Twins likes this

#77 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,531 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 07:56 PM

I would feel better if the Twins acquired the Reliever first before letting both Morin and Magill go. Let one go fine but both? Now you are at more of a disadvantage as your bullpen is weaker then before so the need and therefore a cost for a reliever is higher.

Also I am guessing Morin was let go because it looks as if Littel is beginning to establish himself. Littel is one of the trades of the front office and therefore they are more invested in him then Morin a minor league signing.

As far as Magill, I dunno I guess he is replaceable with Stewart. Maybe the Twins feel Magill just isn't going to be any better but there are several prospects ready for the chance before they wheel and deal.

I suspect Morin and Magill are viewed as replacement level, as they should be. Neither has options and neither has been much more than a 1 IP guy. Magill has gone more than 1 inning just 6 times. Morin just 4. I suspect the Twins plan to use the Rochester shuttle to keep the last 2-3 guys fresh. Also, Stewart, Littell, Thorpe and Smeltzer et al would give the team needed length.
  • jokin and LA VIkes Fan like this

#78 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,245 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 21 July 2019 - 08:55 PM

Back to the OP. I think Berríos is misinformed or wrong. Getting anything for a DFA is a win. There is ample reason to add talent.

The team just about has to add veteran relievers. It is obvious that Baldelli trusts no one but Rogers and IMHO no one else deserves trust. They have cleared the space to do this, and the deadline is 10 days ahead.

It’s hard to be patient, but it probably won’t happen until 7/31.

#79 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,305 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:09 PM

Back to the OP. I think Berríos is misinformed or wrong. Getting anything for a DFA is a win. There is ample reason to add talent.

The team just about has to add veteran relievers. It is obvious that Baldelli trusts no one but Rogers and IMHO no one else deserves trust. They have cleared the space to do this, and the deadline is 10 days ahead.

It’s hard to be patient, but it probably won’t happen until 7/31.

the question still remains, if we're waiting till 7/31, why clear the space weeks earlier?
  • Jerr, jokin and D.C Twins like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#80 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,871 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:35 PM

the question still remains, if we're waiting till 7/31, why clear the space weeks earlier?

Yep. 

But frankly it doesn't matter whether Berrios is wrong (he is), it's about perception on the field.

• Jerr and Mike Sixel like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jose berrios, mike morin