Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Jose Berrios' reaction to the Morin for cash considerations move: They just want to get money

jose berrios mike morin
  • Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#41 Jham

Jham

• 2,180 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 04:27 PM

Morin and Magill were a big part of the early success for this team. They're better than what we're staffing now. The problem isn't the front of the pen. it's the lack of depth at the back.
  • Reider and Doomtints like this

#42 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,299 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 20 July 2019 - 04:35 PM

I’d like to see the bullpen improved as well, but in their three losses, the offense scored, 2, 3, and 4 runs. A bit more run support (or fielding) in two of those games and the equation changes. You’re not going to win a lot of games scoring 4 or fewer runs.

a better bullpen and perhaps they turn two of those into wins.

You're not going to score 6 plus runs every night. You need to win sometimes when you dont.

This bullpen was never going to last the season, that's been pretty apparent since day 1.

Besides which, I don't know what to do about the offense. Scuffling recently, sure, but how do you propose to improve it?
  • jokin and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#43 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,865 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 04:47 PM

a better bullpen and perhaps they turn two of those into wins.

You're not going to score 6 plus runs every night. You need to win sometimes when you dont.

This bullpen was never going to last the season, that's been pretty apparent since day 1.

Besides which, I don't know what to do about the offense. Scuffling recently, sure, but how do you propose to improve it?

You could make batting practice mandatory.
I supported Baldelli's mantra of "you're professionals, prepare how you see fit", because it came with the qualifier, "as long as it works".
It's no longer working.

Edited by Mr. Brooks, 20 July 2019 - 04:48 PM.

#44 Jham

Jham

• 2,180 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 04:50 PM

Speaking of, Kimbrel now has 6 straight scoreless appearances. 6ip, 9k, 5 saves...
  • Mike Sixel, h2oface, notoriousgod71 and 1 other like this

#45 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,531 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 05:21 PM

Morin and Magill were a big part of the early success for this team.

No, they really weren’t. Of all the Twins relievers that have relieved at least 5 games, those two have the lowest average leverage index.

They're better than what we're staffing now.

By what measure?

The problem isn't the front of the pen. it's the lack of depth at the back.

The problem is that everyone not named Taylor Rogers is mediocre to bad.
  • h2oface and LA VIkes Fan like this

#46 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,209 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 20 July 2019 - 05:24 PM

About the only person I understand here is Berrios. 

Morin was a teammate... maybe a friend. It was a show of support. 

Selling Morin for the baseball equivalent of 20 bucks instead of not getting 20 bucks isn't a concern. 

He was gone... he wasn't coming back. The organization is going to move forward with Berrios. 

If this move renders Berrios to ruin... Berrios is easily ruined. 

Not every day goes perfect for any of us and most of us get up the next morning and we get back to work regardless. 

Last September, it was the team falling apart over Buxton... This year it's Morin/Berrios. I didn't think Buxton would cause an issue going forward and I don't think this will do anything either. 

• glunn, Mike Sixel, jokin and 5 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#47 Jham

Jham

• 2,180 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 06:09 PM

No, they really weren’t. Of all the Twins relievers that have relieved at least 5 games, those two have the lowest average leverage index.

By what measure?

The problem is that everyone not named Taylor Rogers is mediocre to bad.

That's ridiculous. Someone has to pitch low leverage innings. They performed well most of the time. We had a top 10 pen most of the season by era as I recall. I don't think anyone would argue that Morin and Magill each have a serious plus pitch. They've each flashed in the bigs but haven't put it all together for a full year. So my statement on "better" is based on stuff and who they replaced. The popular opinion is that these 2 were just more dumpster dives. Hilde and Romero and Vasquez and Mejia were expected to be huge parts of this pen. They hurt the team and were sent down. Magill and Morin took the ball whenever asked and for the most part, held it together. They didn't have options, and would likely be replaced as soon as a trade was made or a prospect arm was considered an upgrade. But that hasn't happened. And my guess is we'll need arms in the Yankees series even if our starters pitch well. They did everything expected of them and deserved better.

Regarding the pen other than Rogers begin average, that's exactly what I meant when I said the front of the pen isn't the problem. So why cut the guys at the front?

Edited by Jham, 20 July 2019 - 06:10 PM.

#48 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• 10,133 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 20 July 2019 - 06:53 PM

I think that it was just an unfortunate attempt at humor in a language he has not quite mastered. Not a big deal.

• Hosken Bombo Disco and wabene like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#49 jz7233

jz7233

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 623 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 06:54 PM

Than whom?

Morin.

#50 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 07:07 PM

This looks to me like Berrios was trying to comfort a friend and was not a big political statement.

• Don Walcott likes this

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#51 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 07:39 PM

I’d like to see the bullpen improved as well, but in their three losses, the offense scored, 2, 3, and 4 runs. A bit more run support (or fielding) in two of those games and the equation changes. You’re not going to win a lot of games scoring 4 or fewer runs.

The Rangers had a run in the late 90s where they scored a hell of a lot of runs, but also allowed a lot of runs. Here is the result.

Year           Tm GWL Ties W-L% pythW-L% Finish GB   Playoffs RRA

1999 TexasRangers 162 95 67  0 .586   .544 1st of 4 -- LostLDS(3-0) 945 859

1998 TexasRangers 162 88 74  0 .543   .535 1st of 4 -- LostLDS(3-0) 940 871

1996 TexasRangers 163 90 72  1 .556   .568 1st of 4 -- LostLDS(3-1) 928 799

Edited by Doomtints, 20 July 2019 - 07:39 PM.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#52 Twodogs

Twodogs

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 989 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 08:07 PM

I think they were prob just friends and Berrios felt bad about it because Morin wasnt worth any more than some cash considerations. Maybe Falvine could have their soda machines stocked for the year whatever they released him he wasn't coming back. This is a case where guys need to learn to not necessarily go to social media all of the time.
  • wabene likes this

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#53 spycake

spycake

• 16,778 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 08:21 PM

I think that it was just an unfortunate attempt at humor in a language he has not quite mastered. Not a big deal.

I think they were prob just friends and Berrios felt bad about it because Morin wasnt worth any more than some cash considerations.

Yeah, I read this more as Berrios reassuring Morin (like "it's not you, it's them"), rather than complaining about the front office.
  • Danchat, Hosken Bombo Disco, Doomtints and 1 other like this

#54 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,393 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 08:46 PM

If the choice is a trade insted of an outright claim. You make the Trade. I guess cash is better than nothing. But, yes, it looks bad.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#55 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• 4,551 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 20 July 2019 - 08:48 PM

Well at least better than losing Morin for nothing.

Their motives are as pure as a devout Ferengi. 

• spycake, Hosken Bombo Disco and Doomtints like this
The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#56 D.C Twins

D.C Twins

Ft Myers Miracle

• 393 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 09:20 PM

Ironically enough the bullpen has performed better than the starting pitching and the offense over the past 5-6 weeks.Maybe some of the players should look at themselves and figure out how to play good baseball again instead of blaming the front office, we all know they are capable of it.  

Nope.... the bullpen is a ticking time bomb and Rogers arm is about to come off if they don't find someone else to share the burden of high leverage situations.

#57 USAFChief

USAFChief

• 25,299 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 20 July 2019 - 09:22 PM

Are we blaming the bullpen for last night's game? Twins last scored in the 3rd inning and Odorizzi gave up the tying run.

Are we blaming the bullpen in the 4-3 lost the Indians? Twins had the bases loaded with zero outs and could only manage 1 run to the tie the game. Yes, May gave up the HR to Santana, but that's all the runs they scored the entire game.

I get it, the meta thing is to rag on the bullpen and the front office, but outside of a few games where they blew up, the offense really hasn't been there for an extended period of time now.

can we blame the pen for coughing up another one today?

Tough to lay much blame on Rogers, he's expected to get too many outs.

But "hey, let's turn Littell into a high level guy," well, I think it's fair to question that plan.
  • jokin, notoriousgod71, Sconnie and 2 others like this

#58 USAFChief

USAFChief

• 25,299 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 20 July 2019 - 10:18 PM

On his Score North show last month, Glenn Perkins stated that money was the reason for trading Ryan Pressly last year. The Twins did not want to pay for his arbitration year.
Maybe this is part of it.

link?

#59 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,888 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 10:26 PM

On his Score North show last month, Glenn Perkins stated that money was the reason for trading Ryan Pressly last year. The Twins did not want to pay for his arbitration year.
Maybe this is part of it.

Then Perkins doesn’t know what he’s talking about.
  • birdwatcher and Oldgoat_MN like this

#60 Highabove

Highabove

• 660 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 11:20 PM

link?

I went back to some of the replays of the Perkins show and i could not find the quote.

I will presume that i was mistaken and delete my original post. 

Edited by Highabove, 20 July 2019 - 11:21 PM.

• ashbury, USAFChief and nicksaviking like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jose berrios, mike morin