Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Game Recap (7/18): Rosario Ignites Late-Inning Comeback

eddie rosario kyle gibson taylor rogers mitch garver c.j. cron
  • Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,950 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 02:13 PM

Defense doesn't factor into WPA.

Good to know. But then, how do you get a negative number when you hit a homer?

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#62 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,950 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 02:17 PM

Yes, we need more than Rogers in game situations in the bullpen. That hasn’t changed since May/June. 12 days to the deadline. Space has been cleared. Time to get two bullpen arms and maybe a starter.

Abso-tive-ly concur.

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#63 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,519 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 19 July 2019 - 02:19 PM

Good to know. But then, how do you get a negative number when you hit a homer?

Because his other 3 plate appearances went K, groundout to begin an inning and GIDP with zero outs.His HR came after the team was already up 2 runs in the 8th inning.WPA is very situational. 

#64 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,950 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 02:26 PM

Because his other 3 plate appearances went K, groundout to begin an inning and GIDP with zero outs.His HR came after the team was already up 2 runs in the 8th inning.WPA is very situational. 

Thanks. Not that valuable a stat, then... as "clutch" hitting is generally regarded by baseball statisticians as a myth and an inevitable function of opportunity?

#65 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,519 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 19 July 2019 - 02:37 PM

Thanks. Not that valuable a stat, then... as "clutch" hitting is generally regarded by baseball statisticians as a myth and an inevitable function of opportunity?

I wouldn't say it isn't valuable, but it's not like an end all stat, and you are right it is more of a "clutch" stat I suppose. If his HR would have came in the 5th and tied the game instead of the 8th when they were already up 2, he most certainly would have had a +WPA for the game.  

#66 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,538 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 02:38 PM

Looks like the weather is going to play a part in the next couple games. Unless the game moves quick, it might be tough to get before the rain comes at about 9ish or soon after. Saturday could be a complete washout until 7 or 8.

#67 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,903 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 02:46 PM

It's more of a fun stat to see who impacted one specific game the most.
  • ashbury likes this

#68 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• 968 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 04:01 PM

One thing about Rogers being used over multiple innings for a save:

The other relievers are rested for that game.

So, Gibson goes seven, Rogers goes two, the rest of bullpen rests.

What we are seeing is a way of creating space for other hurlers to be better once they are used.

I think it's smart and will prove out, especially once 3 batter minimums are enforced in 2020: relievers are going to have to be pitchers again, not specialty guys.

#69 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,885 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 19 July 2019 - 04:23 PM

One thing about Rogers being used over multiple innings for a save:

The other relievers are rested for that game.

So, Gibson goes seven, Rogers goes two, the rest of bullpen rests.

What we are seeing is a way of creating space for other hurlers to be better once they are used.

I think it's smart and will prove out, especially once 3 batter minimums are enforced in 2020: relievers are going to have to be pitchers again, not specialty guys.

I don't know whether the idea can be extended to lots of other pitchers or only a few. But I'm definitely in favor of taking advantage of each pitcher's individual strengths. If Rogers is reliably a two-inning pitcher, you can plan around that and use him for maximum benefit. The only problem is that ideal usage occurs irregularly, so that you may have three games in a row that would fit his profile, and then not any for a week.

I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.

#70 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,523 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 04:26 PM

Rogers use is similar to Hader’s this year with about the same number of appearances and innings (particularly since becoming the closer). This isn’t the traditional use of a closer but maybe fewer appearances and warm ups is better on the arm. I don’t think Rogers has warmed up very often without entering the game.
  • Danchat likes this

#71 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,903 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 04:29 PM

Different people can handle different things.
Some people can run 7 marathons on 7 continents in 7 days.
The human body can be very resilient. Sometimes it breaks down, we'll see.
For now, I'm not concerned, and I'm not ready to say his pattern of use isn't sustainable.
He's not showing any signs of wearing down yet.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eddie rosario, kyle gibson, taylor rogers, mitch garver, c.j. cron