Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Matt Magill DFAd

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 blindeke

blindeke

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 06:01 PM

Pre-season relief pitching plan update:

Magill

Romero

Hildenberger

None of the above CHECK

#62 BattleYourTailOff

BattleYourTailOff

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Banned
  • 125 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 06:01 PM

One more M to go.

#63 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,529 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 July 2019 - 10:46 AM

Magill is traded to the Mariners for everyone's favorite return... Cash Considerations.

#64 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 10:53 AM

Magill is traded to the Mariners for everyone's favorite return... Cash Considerations.

Maybe they are going to use the money for a Berrios extension...

#65 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 5,526 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 11:01 AM

To no-one in particular, this cash consideration angst and bashing is ridiculous.

So the Twins, or any team for that matter, drop a guy because he doesn't fit, can't do the job, they promote someone else or make a trade for someone, etc. So said dropped player can be had for FREE after the waiting period. OR, a team that would like first shot at said player contacts the Twins and makes an offer rather than hoping that player falls to them via waiver claim.

The Twins should say "No thank you, we'd rather receive nothing and just let the process play out via the waiver wire,"???
  • Twins33, Riverbrian, SwainZag and 5 others like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#66 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 11:17 AM

Perhaps I am the eternal optimist, but by adding a bullpen pitcher does that mean Seattle is planning on trading one in the very near future? Perhaps to the Twins? I would love to see Roenis Elias in a Twins uniform starting this week or next.

#67 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,529 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 July 2019 - 11:24 AM

To no-one in particular, this cash consideration angst and bashing is ridiculous.

So the Twins, or any team for that matter, drop a guy because he doesn't fit, can't do the job, they promote someone else or make a trade for someone, etc. So said dropped player can be had for FREE after the waiting period. OR, a team that would like first shot at said player contacts the Twins and makes an offer rather than hoping that player falls to them via waiver claim.

The Twins should say "No thank you, we'd rather receive nothing and just let the process play out via the waiver wire,"???

Still waiting for a corresponding move to the last 3 DFA'd players...

Getting cash considerations is one tiny step above getting nothing in return. They're getting the waiver fee covered, somewhere around $20k. Yippee.
  • Jham likes this

#68 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 11:48 AM

Cash is being bashed because it does not help the current team which badly needs to make 3+ trades to keep Cleveland at bay.

#69 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 11:51 AM

I agree that we need to make trades, but that has nothing to do with Matt Magill. He has no trade value now, certainly not for any major league player that would help the present team. Same with Morin. Frankly, same with Mejia. I'm hopeful that by creating three spots on the 40-man roster, this is all a prelude to making a trade for Major league talent. As I said I'm hopeful, not confident.

Edited by LA VIkes Fan, 21 July 2019 - 11:52 AM.

• DocBauer likes this

#70 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,660 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 12:10 PM

Magill isn't as bad as this thread is making him out to be. His IR was only at 20% and his ERA+ is above average.

He had three bad outings out of 28. Without those three bad games, two of which were just doing mop-up duty in big losses, his ERA would be well under 2.00.

Sure, in some years, you get rid of a Magill. This is a down year for pitching across the league, as his ERA+ shows clearly. If you're getting rid of him, you'd better be sure you're replacing him with someone better.

Edited by Doomtints, 21 July 2019 - 12:12 PM.

• DocBauer and Rigby like this

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#71 Jham

Jham

• Members
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 12:30 PM

Magill isn't as bad as this thread is making him out to be. His IR was only at 20% and his ERA+ is above average.

He had three bad outings out of 28. Without those three bad games, two of which were just doing mop-up duty in big losses, his ERA would be well under 2.00.

Sure, in some years, you get rid of a Magill. This is a down year for pitching across the league, as his ERA+ shows clearly. If you're getting rid of him, you'd better be sure you're replacing him with someone better.

Seriously though. I thought I was taking crazy pills. Magill is serviceable. He's a big reason this pen over-performed despite Reed not making the team, and Hilde, Mejia, and Romero being utterly ineffective.

#72 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 12:44 PM

Serviceable? Maybe. Serviceable at best. Perhaps that's ok for this year's Mariners (or even past Twins teams), but not good enough to be on a contending team IMHO. You're right in that this move makes sense if we're going to replace him with someone better. My view is that Thorpe, Smeltzer, and even perhaps Stewart might be that someone better but I hope this is a prelude to a trade.
  • DocBauer likes this

#73 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 21,805 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 21 July 2019 - 03:00 PM

Cash is being bashed because it does not help the current team which badly needs to make 3+ trades to keep Cleveland at bay.

Yeah but clearing the 25 man roster spot helps us and that has already happened. 

So your choice is now:

A. Clearing a roster spot and getting nothing for it

or

B. Clearing the roster spot and getting a little cash in hand.  

The Twins have decided at the very least... they have someone better on the 40 man roster for each of these 3 guys on the 25 man roster. Removing these 3 from the roster already signifies improvement through the pure act of letting them go.  

As a result, we now have 4 40 man spots open for additions to the club via trade or farm system. They most likely won't add from the farm system until after the trade deadline.

So, I'm encouraged that possibly up to 4 players are on their way to help. And they got some cash to boot. 

• SwainZag and DocBauer like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#74 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• Twins Mods
  • 23,582 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 21 July 2019 - 03:03 PM

When the Twins don't want a guy anymore, he should be gracious and just retire.

• GCTF likes this

So, in conclusion, what was your question again?