Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Matt Magill DFAd

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,652 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 01:13 PM

The Minnesota Twins just announced that RH RP Matt Magill has been DFAd. Kohl Stewart recalled, likely in a new role.

• glunn likes this

#2 operation mindcrime

operation mindcrime

Minnesota Twins

• 3,107 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 01:19 PM

What took so long? :)
  • tvagle, Original Whizzinator and jz7233 like this

#3 Highabove

Highabove

• 659 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 01:20 PM

I hope Eddie Rosairo had a chance to apologize to Magill on the way out.

Magill would have been out of the inning yesterday if it wasn't for rosairo's hot dog clown show in left field.

• blindeke, kwazie71 and jz7233 like this

#4 JW24

JW24

• 168 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 01:22 PM

Bummer Magill was never able to really put it together. Hopefully he catches on somewhere else.

Looking forward to seeing Stewart out of the pen. Hopefully he can join Littell as a couple of guys who will provide quality innings from the pen for the rest of the year.

• Dozier's Glorious Hair likes this

#5 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 148 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 01:34 PM

Stewart on in relief, winds and deals, sinkerball hit on the ground, 2 hops to the shortstop who throws to 2nd for one out, on to 1B to complete the double play. Twins out of the inning. Yeah baby.

• Original Whizzinator likes this

#6 mendozaline

mendozaline

Elizabethton Twins

• 30 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 01:36 PM

You would think we will have some reinforcements via trade by this weekend with them DFA'ing 3 relievers in the last week. One can hope.

• birdwatcher, Riverbrian, Reider and 2 others like this

#7 BeantownTwinsFan

BeantownTwinsFan

• 6 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 01:39 PM

Hard to argue given it certainly seems like he had fallen to the bottom of the pecking order, interesting the Twins would cut him loose vs. sending down a guy with options (Littell or Duffey).Speaks to some confidence in those guys though.

• blindeke likes this

#8 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• 8,658 posts
  • LocationThe ballpark of the mind

Posted 18 July 2019 - 01:40 PM

The smart money may think about adding a position player too, for the weekend. The heat index here (ok, most of North America) is supposed to be pretty bad for the next 4 or so days and they may have somebody needing a break, like happened was it last year?

• jz7233 likes this
"Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars." - Old Serbian proverb

#9 HawksNest

HawksNest

Ft Myers Miracle

• 308 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 01:45 PM

Make. A. Trade.

• PseudoSABR and bighat like this

#10 spycake

spycake

• 16,555 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 01:48 PM

I hope Eddie Rosairo had a chance to apologize to Magill on the way out.

Magill would have been out of the inning yesterday if it wasn't for rosairo's hot dog clown show in left field.

Plenty of blame for Magill himself too, putting two runners on before the error, and allowing a single, double, and HR immediately after the error.

Edit to add: then there are the two other games in which Magill has allowed 4 runs each (earned!) since the start of June...

Edited by spycake, 18 July 2019 - 01:53 PM.

• Thrylos, h2oface, Sconnie and 6 others like this

#11 spycake

spycake

• 16,555 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 01:50 PM

The smart money may think about adding a position player too, for the weekend. The heat index here (ok, most of North America) is supposed to be pretty bad for the next 4 or so days and they may have somebody needing a break, like happened was it last year?

I think the heat is supposed to break in Minneapolis after Friday.

#12 labcrazy

labcrazy

Elizabethton Twins

• 28 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 01:51 PM

So the forty man is now at 36. Something (trade) must be going to change that soon?

• Danchat likes this

#13 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• 8,658 posts
  • LocationThe ballpark of the mind

Posted 18 July 2019 - 01:57 PM

I think the heat is supposed to break in Minneapolis after Friday.

Hope so.

"Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars." - Old Serbian proverb

#14 spycake

spycake

• 16,555 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 01:59 PM

So the forty man is now at 36. Something (trade) must be going to change that soon?

Trade and/or Cody Allen (and/or Cody Stashak?).

With Astudillo still sidelined, they may want to keep a spot open in case they need to add a fourth catcher too.

(Edited to say "fourth catcher")

Edited by spycake, 18 July 2019 - 02:17 PM.

#15 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,595 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 02:02 PM

Inevitable and not surprising, except maybe for the timing. (No trade replacement). Have to admit though, I am disappointed. Never expected Magill to be a high leverage back of the pen option, but with his stuff, I had hoped he would settle in as a powerful and reliable 6th inning guy.

He would make people look silly with nasty stuff for a few games, then couldn't hit the broad side of a barn for the next few. Wish him the best of luck.
  • h2oface and Original Whizzinator like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#16 labcrazy

labcrazy

Elizabethton Twins

• 28 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 02:03 PM

Austudillo is already on the 40 man. he's just on the IL and off the 25 man active.

#17 nater79a

nater79a

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,008 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 02:07 PM

You would think we will have some reinforcements via trade by this weekend with them DFA'ing 3 relievers in the last week. One can hope.

Maybe, but I kind of doubt it.

Most of the trade action will probably happen the last 72 hours before the deadline.Especially with so many teams not knowing if they're buyers or sellers yet.

• glunn likes this

#18 spycake

spycake

• 16,555 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 02:12 PM

Stewart's line at AAA since the beginning of June:

6 GS, 25 IP, 39 H, 36 R, 30 ER, 16 BB, 22 K, 2 HBP (edit to add: 10.80 ERA, 12.96 RA9 -- only a 6.65 FIP, though!)

I think the role change is due. (And some here were suggesting he could be exchanged in trade for Will Smith right now!)

Somewhat inexplicably, Stewart also has 2 appearances with 5.1 shutout innings in MLB during that time, allowing only 2 hits and zero walks (but also only 1 K). Neither appearance involved much leverage, though, or particularly strong opponents (4 innings vs KC).

Edited by spycake, 18 July 2019 - 02:32 PM.

• glunn and Tomj14 like this

#19 spycake

spycake

• 16,555 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 02:16 PM

Austudillo is already on the 40 man. he's just on the IL and off the 25 man active.

If this is directed at me, I know that.

But with Astudillo unavailable, if Castro or Garver get hurt at all, they will need to be ready to immediately add another catcher, requiring a 40-man spot. (Perhaps I should have said "fourth catcher")

I suppose they could 60-day DL Astudillo if they need another catcher and they don't expect/need Astudillo to return until the end of August.
  • glunn likes this

#20 jz7233

jz7233

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 596 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 02:23 PM

Inevitable and not surprising, except maybe for the timing. (No trade replacement). Have to admit though, I am disappointed. Never expected Magill to be a high leverage back of the pen option, but with his stuff, I had hoped he would settle in as a powerful and reliable 6th inning guy.

He would make people look silly with nasty stuff for a few games, then couldn't hit the broad side of a barn for the next few. Wish him the best of luck.

Mejia has stuff and is a younger lefty.