Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Game Recap (7/17): Mets Blow Out Twins, Complete Another Target Field Sweep

martin perez nelson cruz mitch garver trevor may eddie rosario
  • Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#21 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,777 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 06:26 PM

I agree with akmanak that Baldelli has proven himself to be a weak manager. He all too often makes bad in game decisions, bringing in the wrong pitcher or leaving someone in too long. Also I have seen several runs given up because hitters are getting hits through the shift. Harper has proven to be the guy you bring in when someone is in trouble or you really need to win the game as they did today and he responds. Today Harper should be in the 7th and Rogers for two innings. At least (since,admittedly he often uses May in the 7th) he should bring Harper in when May looked like he was struggling. He had that determination to change pitchers when they looked bad in the Indian series but not in the past two days. 

Twins lost a two game series at home without using their two best relievers. Should not happen.

See bolded. If anything, he might have took Perez out too soon today. 

caveats: I didn't see the game, and according to the article Perez had a rough go in the 4th and 5th, but it looks like the 6th went well enough, and the bottom of the Mets order was due up in the 7th. 

Day to day, that's probably the toughest decision a manager has to make. Not always obviously, but day in, day out, is when to give your starter one more batter or one more inning. In general I lean towards "leave 'em in, let 'em work out of it" with the starter, myself. Though with limited catcher visits nowadays maybe that idea should change.

• Carlos Figueroa likes this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#22 cmoss84

cmoss84

Ft Myers Miracle

• 451 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 17 July 2019 - 06:52 PM

Coming from a pitching coach's perspective...sometimes you know if a curve is thrown in the dirt, strike 3 will happen. Unfortunately, sometimes pitchers throw said curveball NOT in dirt.
  • 70charger and AceWrigley like this

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#23 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,672 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 17 July 2019 - 06:56 PM

I so hate to see any professional team just give up at any point in any game. It happens way too often. No need to man/fansplain to me why they do it. I get it. I still hate it. People pay to see professionals give it their all, not throw in the towel.

Baldelli, or any manager, can't make plays for their players. These errors are truly a lack of concentration, and not a "rough patch". These guys have been playing baseball for most of their life. They need focus, not drills. The know what to do.

This a team that has lost more games than they have won since June 15. That is not a patch. That is a habit. A habit that needs changed to have the focus and spirit that got them 25 games above .500 by June. 

• Jerr and mikelink45 like this

#24 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,894 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:01 PM

Falvey and Levine need to get on the phone and fix this mess, ASAP.

Can we stop coddling starting pitchers and not take them out when they're cruising through a game?

That's kinda funny because in the game thread everyone was complaining that Perez was pitching like crap and getting lucky, and what was Baldelli waiting for to take him out.
  • Tomj14, AceWrigley and DannySD like this

#25 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,198 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:10 PM

The defense on this team has been ghastly for a while. Yet, Baldelli hasn't organized any drills. He reminds me of when Willie Randolph managed the Mets and as they were falling apart - he did nothing.

I'm not sure I buy this... it seems like everyone buys into the narrative that the bad defense is Baldelli's fault because pre-game warmups are now optional, but before, when our fielding was bad, it was just because the players were bad? 

For example, the Twins had a few bad fielding clubs under Paul Molitor (2016, 2018), but wasn't Molly doing the right thing by making practice mandatory? I don't see how it's the manager's fault if the players just aren't good at fielding.

I'll give you this - some players have been extra sloppy recently (Schoop, Rosario come to mind) so you could potentially put that on Baldelli, but Sano has been a straight-up butcher at 3B since coming off the IL. He's always been shaky on defense so I don't think more practice is going to make a difference.

• 70charger and EPEZRider like this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#26 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,417 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:35 PM

Here's some video from today's game. Went through that frustrating seventh inning in which May actually got ahead of two guys 0-2 who ended up getting hits. I did have some fun looking back at Adrianza's debut on the mound, so come have a laugh at that if you're in the mood.

• glunn, 70charger, bighat and 2 others like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#27 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,894 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:58 PM

Baldelli has zero influence on Rosario dropping a routine flyball.
  • SwainZag and Danchat like this

#28 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• 5,139 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:04 PM

To the defensive lapses you can add Cron's footwork on that Sano throw. He got himself locked up and didn't shift his feet, or he could have likely saved that play. Another negative play was, I assume, Arrez not diving on the ball up the middle to knock it down, that would have saved a run at the time. The night before a passed ball. This just has not been even a decent defensive team recently.
  • h2oface likes this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#29 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,395 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:15 PM

Baldelli has zero influence on Rosario dropping a routine flyball.

he could have asked him in April not to hot dog every. Single. Catch.

Rosario styles everything, and it caught up to him.
  • Jerr, Highabove, curt1965 and 1 other like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#30 Twinsoholic

Twinsoholic

• 222 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:26 PM

That was not a good pitch. It was down and in to a lefty. That is the stereotypical sweet spot for a lefty. I am not surprised by the result. May has to use his fastball as his out pitch or he will not be long for important situations in meaningful games.

#31 Aggies7

Aggies7

I have 1 warning point

• 11,219 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:44 PM

Since the twins won 6 games in a row from May 20-26, they’ve had two win streaks of 3 games and now one losing streak of 3 games. Otherwise, they’ve been alternating wins and losses at a one or two game pace. 22-20 in that time frame. Getting real close to two months of barely .500 ball. Not just a bad game or two anymore. Lead down to 4 games.
  • KFEY93 likes this

#32 theBOMisthebomb

theBOMisthebomb

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 770 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:17 PM

I so hate to see any professional team just give up at any point in any game. It happens way too often. No need to man/fansplain to me why they do it. I get it. I still hate it. People pay to see professionals give it their all, not throw in the towel.

Baldelli, or any manager, can't make plays for their players. These errors are truly a lack of concentration, and not a "rough patch". These guys have been playing baseball for most of their life. They need focus, not drills. The know what to do.

This a team that has lost more games than they have won since June 15. That is not a patch. That is a habit. A habit that needs changed to have the focus and spirit that got them 25 games above .500 by June.

I wanted to request a refund when Rosario didn't run out a ground ball an inning or two after dropping that routine fly ball.
  • h2oface likes this

#33 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is regressing to the mean

• 2,013 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:46 PM

he could have asked him on April not to hit dog every. Single. Catch.

I agree 100%. 

At work today I saw the score go across the bottom of the screen.I also saw "Rosario 4-4, 3B, HR" and thought at least Eddie is recovered. Then I come here and see 0-4 plus a key error and got confused. I finally checked the box score and saw that Amed Rosario had himself a pretty nice game. 

• ashbury likes this

#34 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 651 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 17 July 2019 - 10:27 PM

Yesterday was Wednesday, July 17, it was the 94th game of the year and the Twins hit 2 home runs. The Twins are now 58% of the way through the season. Out of 59 years, the current team ranks 9th on the all-time list of Twins' home runs in one season and are on a pace to hit 300 home runs this season. They are now 93 home runs behind the single season MLB record. The next Twins team to pass is the 1962 team that hit 185 home runs.
  • Jerr and h2oface like this

#35 curt1965

curt1965

• 786 posts
  • LocationLuverne, Minnesota

Posted 17 July 2019 - 11:53 PM

he could have asked him on April not to hot dog every. Single. Catch.

I was at both games, and it was not pretty. Not because they lost-that happens. Lack of energy, effort, and enthusiasm is not acceptable! Tuesday night’s game was horrible except for Arraez’s amazing AB in the 9th.
Sano and Schoop made sloppy errors. But today’s game took the cake! May’s HR pitch happens- you’d think he’d learn, but maybe not. But Rosario’s hot dog effort on an easy fly ball was horrendous! This one is on Rocco. Chief is spot on!
  • Jerr and PDX Twin like this

#36 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,677 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 12:03 AM

I would argue Trevor May's beach ball curve changed the course of the game but YMMV. Do you think this pitching staff is ready for a playoff run as it stands today?

Scoring a couple runs off the other team's 4th and 5th starters. I don't think the offense is ready for the playoff run as they played today and I don't think the defense is ready for a playoff run as they played today.  I think the starting rotation is capable as they have demonstrated most of the year. I think the relief is capable as they have demonstrated the last 6 weeks and I think the offense is capable as they have demonstrated for the first couple months.  As it stands today I think they are capable and it is up to them to play to that.  I am guessing nearly every playoff team and nearly every playoff team that has had success in the playoffs has had stretches where the fan base has asked the questions you have asked. I think they are capable. I think they need to play better.

• bighat and KFEY93 like this
If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#37 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,677 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 12:07 AM

Listening to the Mets announcers and seeing the write up yesterday about the plays the Mets made on difficult balls in play and seeing the bad plays the Twins have made lately I would say the Twins just need to play better baseball.  Pitching, defense, baserunning, hitting. All of it.  

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#38 howeda7

howeda7

• 1,830 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 12:45 AM

Time to DFA Magill. Bring up Stashak please.

Magill has options doesn't he? In any event, today makes DFA'ing a guy with an ERA in the 3's a bit more of a head scratcher. 

• bighat likes this

#39 howeda7

howeda7

• 1,830 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 12:47 AM

My patience with Sano is nearly gone. Even as his bat is somewhat better, he has been awful in the field. If we can use him to get some pitching, by all means, trade him. 

• PDX Twin, lukeduke1980 and jz7233 like this

#40 howeda7

howeda7

• 1,830 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 12:49 AM

With all the errors it is blatantly clear that Rocco is a weak manager. What exactly has he brought to the table? The shift?

The Twins are quickly heading into the direction of being sellers. The babying the team is not working and it shows by their piss poor attempts at the fundamentals of baseball like catching, bunting, and base running.

He is not the answer and the Twins do not have a playoff contending team without substantial upgrades to the team.

So...you're advocating firing the manager in year 1, while 22 games over .500?

• 70charger and DannySD like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: martin perez, nelson cruz, mitch garver, trevor may, eddie rosario