Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Game Recap (7/16): Tough Luck Loss for the Twins

minnesota twins new york mets twins game recap
  • Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,657 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 10:24 AM

Just when you thought the Indians were out of it, the Twins let them back in.

Bad Luck? They gave up the lead right away in the first by playing awful defense. Then, when handed the chance to take the lead back on a silver platter (via walks and HBP), They couldn’t get the ball out of the infield.

This team has been playing this way, and giving games away to bad teams, for a while now. It’s coming up in two months of nearly .500 baseball (since the beginning of June, I believe).

I have a really hard time buying this as a legitimate World Series contender at this point, especially if Buxton is out for an extended period of time. The respite from being concerned about giving away the division was nice for a few days, though.
  • jz7233 likes this

#42 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Ft Myers Miracle

• 457 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 10:27 AM

The Indians have beaten the bad teams as of late.

The Twins have lost to the bad teams as of late.

• twinsbaby likes this

#43 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• 1,682 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 10:33 AM

I myself made a silly error with a RISP almost in scoring position yesterday.  The RISP in question was a Recliner In Sitting Position.  Before I could quite get it "home," I first had to take it through the arbor dealy at the end of the front sidewalk.  Conventional wisdom says you 'shift' the sucker on its side and shimmy it through safely, but being in a hurry, and not being overly fond of the shift, I decided to try the direct path.  I thought its WPA (width probably acceptable) was within the margin of error, but I was wrong--the recliner handle was just outside of the strike zone, as emphatically framed by the arbor.  No need to call New York on this one.

All's well that ends well, though, as I overcame the mistake and did indeed finally score a recliner in sitting position.  Having learned from my mistake, I wisely went with the shift to get it in the front door, and again into the next room.

If the Twins' are indeed below average with RISP, here's hoping that the regression to the mean occurs during  the playoffs.

jack handey deep thoughts children need encouragement. So If A Kid gets An 3576

Edited by Han Joelo, 17 July 2019 - 10:34 AM.

• spycake likes this

#44 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• 476 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 11:35 AM

Sano frustrates me too, but only quoting his AVG with RISP is cherry picking. He also has a .340 OBP and .500 SLG with RISP. That's coming typically out of the 7th spot in the lineup which is insanity.

I'm more concerned about his home/away splits.

On the road his slash line is .269/.324/.699

At home? .182/.308/.348

Lune:

Thanks for adding the additional info. My intent was to provide Major with the answers he asked.I also included more than average with RISP.I included Sac Flys and Productive Outs stats.

The splits you provided are eye opening. Thanks again for providing those.

• lunemann likes this

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#45 Trov

Trov

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 196 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 01:43 PM

This game was exact thing I was worried about.Twins have had a few bad games they should have and easily could have won if they did not make so many mistakes.Sure game may have played out different, but we gave them both runs in the first inning on bad defense.The wild pitches and passed balls moved runners up, the bad throw from Kepler, a good throw may have got runner and no one scores, finally no play from Schoop.Mets made good plays throughout the game and we lose by 1 with bases loaded.These are tough games to watch when you are trying to make playoffs.  

#46 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,885 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 18 July 2019 - 08:02 AM

I have a really hard time buying this as a legitimate World Series contender at this point

So, you're OK with not being buyers at the trade deadline? :)

I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minnesota twins, new york mets, twins game recap