Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Game Recap (7/16): Tough Luck Loss for the Twins

minnesota twins new york mets twins game recap
  • Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,576 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 06:04 AM

That walk by Arraez would have gone down in Twins lore had the Twins won the game.
  • ashbury, Han Joelo, Jerr and 2 others like this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#22 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 3,512 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 06:07 AM

I do not call this a hard luck loss.Errors, wild pitches, caught stealing are just bad baseball.As is Sano's last two strikeouts.If he is not getting all the calls he should it could be that he has set the expectations.

Arraez at bat should be studied by all the Twins.Magnificent. 

• ashbury, Jerr, Reider and 6 others like this

#23 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 06:38 AM

Trying something new. Here are some video highlights from last night's game: 

• Jerr, Hosken Bombo Disco, bighat and 1 other like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#24 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• 1,024 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 06:45 AM

Twins have to score more than two runs in a game against a mediocre team throwing a bullpen game.

And, they have to field better, show more intensity and generally play to win.

Step it up guys.

• bighat, Aerodeliria, mendozaline and 1 other like this

#25 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,086 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 06:52 AM

Way to sloppy to win.Pineda was all over the place early and never really got all that sharp.Defense played like they have been off for a week...Sano, Kepler and Schoop's error.Add in Castro who seemed out of it all night. 

Toss in the inability to get that big hit when needed and you have a winnable game move into the loss column.Will be interesting to see if they get after it today...or will they lose three for the first time this year?

• 70charger likes this

#26 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Fort Walton Beach Jets

• 1,397 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 06:57 AM

Schoop to the IL? Arraez needs to be in the lineup every day.
  • Jerr, bighat, Aerodeliria and 2 others like this

#27 Cody Pirkl

Cody Pirkl

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Twins Daily Contributor
  • 243 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:13 AM

It was a tough luck loss but at some point you have to start wondering if it's more than just luck. We just keep finding new ways to lose to these teams we should be taking care of business against. Today it was wild pitches, passed balls, another untimely error and yet another baserunning decision that made everybody watching ask "what the hell was that supposed to be?". 

• Jerr, JW24 and PDX Twin like this

#28 blindeke

blindeke

• 625 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:26 AM

We're going on over a month of this type of play now.Random nights where the defense is just terrible. Baserunning blunders. Clutch hitting has been nearly non-existent, etc. Something is just off.

Injuries no doubt have played into this. But it seems like the swagger is missing. 

I really hate seeing the errors and defensive misplays, more than anything else. 

• 70charger, PDX Twin and In My La-Z-boy like this

#29 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• 582 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:39 AM

Is there a way too look up RBI with less than 2 outs and a runner on 3rd by individual player. I swear Sano has not has a sac fly all year but maybe it's my imagination.

Sano hit a Sac Fly in his 3rd game back on May 18.None since.

According to baseball reference.com he is 2 for 10 in driving in a runner on 3rd with less than two outs.

He has also only had 2 "productive outs" in 22 at bats.

He is currently batting .211 with RISP, and only .125 with RISP and 2 outs.

Not exactly Mr. Clutch...

• Steve Lein, Jerr, Major League Ready and 3 others like this

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#30 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,576 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:48 AM

Twins fans dwell on the errors the Twins make, but forget the errors of the other team by the next half inning. The double play by Sano and Garver was pretty good.
  • twinsnorth49 and 70charger like this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#31 dex8425

dex8425

Ft Myers Miracle

• 340 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:07 AM

Conforto's catch in CF and Schoop's error ended up mattering a whole lot. Too bad. 

• 70charger, bighat, Aerodeliria and 1 other like this

#32 shabbos1

shabbos1

Elizabethton Twins

• 4 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:12 AM

Twins fans dwell on the errors the Twins make, but forget the errors of the other team by the next half inning. The double play by Sano and Garver was pretty good.

Pointing out that other teams also make errors does not make up for a team's own poor defensive play.

#33 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• 4,693 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:16 AM

The early success of this team started with great hitting. They'd get ahead by two, three, five runs, then the pitchers would all get into attack mode, buzzing the zone with strikes. Fact is, that's always the right mode for a pitcher, but the hitting has kinda fizzled out lately. Part is just bad luck, like all those line drives hit right at people. 

If Twins hitters can continue to trust the process and just barrel up as many balls as possible, they can bash their way back into high gear. Don't regress into stupid pull hitters. Pound the ball wherever it's pitched. Be willing to take a walk. Be willing to take a called third strike. It's part of the process of getting your pitch.

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#34 OldTimeTwinkie

OldTimeTwinkie

• 198 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:23 AM

There is no doubt Gonzalez needs to be the 3rd baseman and Arreze the second baseman. They battle and find a way to get it done. Sano's occasional home run dosent make up for his defense or lack of RBI'S production. The same for Scoop although not quite as deficienthe as Sano.
  • Jerr and PDX Twin like this

#35 In My La-Z-boy

In My La-Z-boy

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 188 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:27 AM

Tough loss, it happens.It just seems like these sort of losses are happening more and more frequently over the past month.Was really hoping we'd sweep the lowly Mets to give us a bit of a cushion for the A's and Yankees series.

Stating the obvious, but the team really seems to have issues hitting with RISP (duh). Hope we can break the trend sooner rather than later.

Not really sure how to articulate it, but something happened to this team a month and a half ago (June 4th) when we went to Cleveland for that three game series and lost 2 of 3. I can't really put my finger on it, but it's like they lost their mojo. 

The team flat out just hasn't been the same since.In the 35 games since the start of that series, the team has played .500 baseball (18-17).

We're going on over a month of this type of play now.Random nights where the defense is just terrible. Baserunning blunders. Clutch hitting has been nearly non-existent, etc. Something is just off.

Injuries no doubt have played into this. But it seems like the swagger is missing. 

Is this what the team has settled into? It's great that we built such a huge cushion during the first two months of the season, but I think it's pretty clear that this team is 3rd in the pecking order of AL powers (behind the Yankees and Astros for sure).

Idk, maybe I'm just venting after a tough loss...

Agreed. Thanks for venting. Now I don't have to. I will say this - Garver should play 3 out of every 4 days - Arraez should play everyday and bat 1st - Sano should be more limited at 3B if there at all - and someone needs to catch fire at the plate quickly. Only 5 games up - next 10 days schedule favors the Tribe. It does flip in Aug and our schedule is a little easier than theirs - but I feel like we are in a funk of some sort as HawksNest suggests.

• jz7233 likes this

#36 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,576 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:32 AM

Pointing out that other teams also make errors does not make up for a team's own poor defensive play.

True.
- J. L. Borges

#37 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,576 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:34 AM

There is no doubt Gonzalez needs to be the 3rd baseman and Arreze the second baseman. They battle and find a way to get it done. Sano's occasional home run dosent make up for his defense or lack of RBI'S production. The same for Scoop although not quite as deficienthe as Sano.

I think Marwin will be in right for the time being. He’s turned into a pretty important piece. Agree about Arraez!
  • jz7233 likes this
- J. L. Borges

#38 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 506 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:36 AM

Why did Castro start over Garver last night? Castro can't hit lefties, and Garver mashes them.

Also - over this stretch of games, one can place a lot of blame on the offense/lineup. Just not producing as they were, and without the numbers in front of me, I don't even know if they are at league average over this last 30-35 game stretch.

#39 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,757 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:45 AM

Why did Castro start over Garver last night? Castro can't hit lefties, and Garver mashes them.

Also - over this stretch of games, one can place a lot of blame on the offense/lineup. Just not producing as they were, and without the numbers in front of me, I don't even know if they are at league average over this last 30-35 game stretch.

Catchers rarely catch day game after night game. The Twins face two lefties so Baldelli chose last night to start Castro. I would have made the same choice given it was a bullpen game for the Mets. It turned out Castro had one completed at bat against Matz though he was up a second time when they failed to execute a double steal. A move the Twins likely made because they lacked confidence in Castro.

#40 lunemann

lunemann

Elizabethton Twins

• 6 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:44 AM

Sano hit a Sac Fly in his 3rd game back on May 18.None since.

According to baseball reference.com he is 2 for 10 in driving in a runner on 3rd with less than two outs.

He has also only had 2 "productive outs" in 22 at bats.

He is currently batting .211 with RISP, and only .125 with RISP and 2 outs.

Not exactly Mr. Clutch...

Sano frustrates me too, but only quoting his AVG with RISP is cherry picking. He also has a .340 OBP and .500 SLG with RISP. That's coming typically out of the 7th spot in the lineup which is insanity.

I'm more concerned about his home/away splits.

On the road his slash line is .269/.324/.699

At home? .182/.308/.348

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minnesota twins, new york mets, twins game recap